GEOPAINTBALL!!!!!

ionekoa

ok combine these 2 great sports. those of you not into paintball would be surprised at how elaborate the game is with WWII reinactments including tanks "grenade launchers" and everything all using paint as ammo. so why not throw in a geo twist. each team is given a certain amount of ammo. once they run out they need to find more, but where??? that is where the geotwist comes in. hide the paintballs in various spots around the area of play. and hide only a few in each spot to make it more challenging. it would be kind of like living in one of those survival horror games (resident evil, silent hill, etc.) you have to find the ammo and find your opponents before they find you. come on, let me know what you think.

Hi, Vash. I don't paintball, but I do a fantasy boffer LARP, and I, too, have tried to figure out a way to combine the two hobbies. I only came up with one problem - what happens if someone's GPSr breaks? icon_eek.gif

In my case, I'm pretty sure that my Etrex could more than withstand the occasional fight (we make a point of not hitting hard), but I don't know about other units. There's also the slight risk of someone tripping on a random rock and falling flat on her face and her unit. (In the middle of the night, while I was in a group of 6 people sneaking from one side of the site to the other. icon_rolleyes.gif I didn't have a unit then.)

In a paintball game, wouldn't there be a higher risk of possible GPSr breakage? Paintballs fly fast and hard enough to leave welts (unlike padded "swords" and birdseed packets) and when they break open, a lovely colored goo gets splattered all over you. Do you think it could cause a problem?

The only thing I could think of was possibly using one of the no-contact LARP systems for a modern espionage-type scenario and having them head to the coordinates for their drop point, or something like that.

Anyway, since we seem to be dealing with similar, if not identical problems, I wouldn't mind discussing this a bit more, either here or via email.

quote:
Originally posted by CarmenClemons:

(Snip good questions)

In a paintball game, wouldn't there be a higher risk of possible GPSr breakage? Paintballs fly fast and hard enough to leave welts (unlike padded "swords" and birdseed packets) and when they break open, a lovely colored goo gets splattered all over you. Do you think it could cause a problem?

The only thing I could think of was possibly using http://www.cthulhulive.com for a modern espionage-type scenario and having them head to the coordinates for their drop point, or something like that.

Anyway, since we seem to be dealing with similar, if not identical problems, I wouldn't mind discussing this a bit more, either here or via email.

Email me if y'all would like. We are trying to incorporate this in 24 hour paintball scenarios. (Email for particulars if you like. I'm just up the road from Carmen.)

We are trying to incorporate the use of GPS with supply drops and possibly in building the one super weapon (non functioning, of course. Think of the movie "The Rock" where they had the poison gas. They had to find and build the launcher from parts hidden all over the paintball field, pre-gps)

As far as "toughness", These people run around with $2,500.00 night vison scopes and $12,500.00 thermal imaging units. They play with $1,200.00 markers. (Where some of them get the money, I don't know)

One, they wouldn't mind, they use them now. Especially on unfamiliar fields.

And two, just like the rest of their sensitive equipment, it would go into a padded case.

Rick

rickb308@yahoo.com

i wouldnt worry about the GPS. the original use for GPS was military, and though they are civilian models we use they are still pretty sturdy, and its not like they are a primary target. plus with the rarity of ammo, having to hunt it down, no one would be wasting it on a shot that would take out equipment. as for further comunications, though i am not overly private i would prefer to keep discussions here for the sake of feedback, i'd like to see more people read this and see what they think or what ideas they have on it.

quote:
Originally posted by vash the stampede:

as for further comunications, though i am not overly private i would prefer to keep discussions here for the sake of feedback, i'd like to see more people read this and see what they think or what ideas they have on it.

Sorry. New here. Wasn't sure if posting other websites was ok or not.

Here is the thread on it for paintball:

http://boards.eesite.com/board.cgi?boardset=viper007&boardid=Paintbal&thread=37&spec=4574422

Sor far, all responses have been positive.

Also: http://www.viperscenarios.com

(for the scenarios),

if you find yourself in Houston or Dallas during a game weekend and want to check it out, please stop by.

Rick

So far, I haven't heard of any problems. There have been about a half dozen people using them every game.

If the scenario director incorporates GPS use into actual gameplay, I expect to see the numbers rise. Especially since Garmin is/has come out with the Rino 120 and the peer-to-peer GPS function & Radio combination. I've already heard teams wanting to get them strictly for that purpose. I wouldn't sweat the possible breakage aspect. REI has a glasses/gps case for $10.00 that is a ballistic nylon hard case with the quick lock buckle. Seems pretty rugged.

Rick

this is what i am talking about, you all know the games, resident evil, silent hill, you have to go through the game fighting monsters with a hunting knife some herbs if your lucky and about 5 bullets for each gun, again... if your lucky. so this is the scenario. the players come with the basics, safety gear and their marker, and a gpsr. no ammo no special tricks like night vision. as i have heard it these are sometimes prizes at scenario games. so no bringing them. they can be hidden in "secret areas" or given away at the end as "unlocked features" if they are not found. so at the beginning each player would be issued 5 paintballs and a list of coords (which can be D/L into their gpsr w/ a laptop and easygps. now teams can go anyway the scenario planner wants it, but after the game starts, the players would have to find ammo if they needed/wanted it. so conservation is key. imagine, 3 enemies a few yards away, you have one paintball left, check the nearest waypoint on your GPS..... its .12 miles away. as for the "secret rooms" high prizes... more than just paintballs. in every s/h (survival/horror) game i know a number of items must be collected to gain access to the good stuff. no different here, fragments of the "secret room" coordinates would be hidden throughout the playing area and would have to be assembled to find the room and the prize, which could be a better marker or nightvision or whatever, (which is why the extra toys would be banned.) if you want to go further, ban markers... make them use feild markers. just my thoughts... please feel free to add or correct.

we once hade a scenario out here in west texas in and around an old militert housing complex "i was too poor to afford a gps unit at the time I spent all my money on my cocker" thier was a gentalman thier who used a gps unit to mark all the strong holds and troop depo's and such and after dark it came in verry useful. His unit took a few hits "from paint and impacts with stationary object the same" it never quit so I think it would be a blast

I know this is way late in coming, but I just went paintballing for the first time and I definately think it could be incorparated into goecaching, though in abit different of a manner... An unbiased referee type could hide one or more geocaches and two teams could them try to find the stash and return it to their home base. The other team trys to stop them from doing this. It is like capture the flag, but the flag is only to be found by GPS. That or have an event cache where people try to find the cache while others try to ambush them with paintball markers.

elifish

quote:
Originally posted by elifish:

I know this is way late in coming, but I just went paintballing for the first time and I definately think it could be incorparated into goecaching, though in abit different of a manner... An unbiased referee type could hide one or more geocaches and two teams could them try to find the stash and return it to their home base. The other team trys to stop them from doing this. It is like capture the flag, but the flag is only to be found by GPS.

I bought my gun last week and went painballing for the first time on sunday. My brother had a suggestion very similar to what elfish posted.

You would need at least two people playing, each with a flag they would hide, and then radio the other player/s the coords for it. Once all players have the coords put into their GPS, then the game would start. You would try to get your enemy flag (or as many flags as possibale, if your playing with more than one team) and make it back to your base without getting shot. If you are shot, then you would have to drop the flag and radio the new coords, and head back to your base to start over.

I really like the idea of limiting ammo and having more hidden in caches around the woods and finding them with a GPS. Sounds like a great game i'll have to try next time we go "GeoPaintballing"

The Mountain Bike Guy from Joplin MO

------------------------------------

Long Live Long Rides

Just got back from going paintballing today. No one I was with had a GPS, but we did try the idea of limiting ammo. We gave all five of us 10 paintballs each, the rules were if you ran out of paintballs, or if you were shot, then you're out of the game. It was every man for himself. It was actually a lot of fun, really makes you be careful with your shots. Next time I play with my brother, we'll use GPS.

Long Live Long Rides

I love the idea of a paintball cache in a scenario game.

How's this (depends on the size of the crowd):

ONE ROUND PER PLAYER FOR EACH TEAM AT GAME START. "General" can combine the initial allocation to a few heavy hitters while everyone else goes looking for the opposite team's ammo "dump" before the real action begins. Hide a few cases of paint near each basecamp and give the coordinates of the opposing team's cache.

Allow guppies on the field after the caches are found.

This from a guy who goes to Blanding with a Phantom.

I LOVE paintball! You guys are on the right track about combining the two hobbies. I had an idea for a cache at one of the local fields, but it would violate the "non commercial" rule about placing caches. However, if anyone can come up with an way to do it, I know a lot of guys in southeast Louisiana that would want to add another aspect to their scenarios. icon_smile.gif

Get off the cellphone and DRIVE!

I don't know if any of you have ever heard "airsoft" before, it's just like paintball, but we shoot 6mm plastic BB's instead, and the best part is the weapons are 100% replicas of the real firearms, so a M-16 will look and feel (or even weigh similar in some cases) like a M-16, and they have a very wide selection of guns from a Colt 1911 to AK-47 to M-249SAW to sniper rifles like the M40/24, pretty much any military firearms out there (there is even a M134 vulcan!). It adds a big deal of realism if you are into military simulations. The only problem is you may have to deal with the cheaters, since there's no paint, we had to rely on honor system, if you got shot and don't call yourself out, probably nobody will know it.

I went out with my brother after my last post and we both took our GPS and played some CTF. What we did was started at opposite sides of an area of woods, and hid flags. Then we used our FRS radios to send the coords to each other, and we started heading for the other guys flag. It was really cool, because we were both heading towards each other as quickly as we could, but had no idea were the other person was.

Long Live Long Rides

Great! More activity on this thread. I really want to combine the two sports somehow. I can think of many ways to incorporate GPS into paintball, but I'd like to find a way around the guideline about commercial locations so as to create a cache you would have to fight for. For instance, a scenario game where cachers would do a multi cache that required raiding the opposing teams bases for coordinates to the next base and so on untill you find the final cache, which could contain paint, spray bottle of water, squeegee, barrel swab, etc.

Bloen Customs Anodizing

"I'm not moving my car 'till you get my food right!"

I put together a plan for this type of game dating back to 1997. It was slated to be a 4 day war across the Central Oregon Desert, 2 teams of 30 "roughing it" to a grand prize. Unfortunately I couldn't find anybody who thought it sounded fun, so I couldn't assemble the planning and financial support. My, how things have changed since then...

Hi... Great idea! I just found my first cache last night. I'm trying out paintball for the first time on June 21. I think I'll ask the proprietor if anyone's ever done this... adds a new twist for sure...

[This message was edited by DrDumbAss on June 12, 2003 at 03:50 PM.]

Now you're talking. I like the capture the flag twist. Each team of say 10 or 15 players hides several caches. Then gives the coords to the other team. Only after a team has found all the caches can they capture the flag of the opposing team. What ever team captures the flag first wins. Some players hang back to defend the caches and the flag, some go on the offensive to find the other teams caches & flag. Wow! I'm going to go buy a paintball gun right now. As far as damage to the GPS, I think it could withstand a hit from a paintball. As far as the actual paint, probably a leather pouch, like a cell phone pouch sould do the trick.