Basics on Paperless Caching?

GrapeNutsTburg

I just got a new GPSr (eTrex20) that finally allows me to do paperless caching, but I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out the steps to get my pocket queries onto the handheld unit.

1. I run the PQ, create a zip, and then what? Do I need an intermediary like GSAK? Why? What does GSAK do?

2. Before I go on a trip, I'd like to load the PQ, which is fine, but how do I get caches onto my GPSr if I am already on the road and don't have my laptop?

Thanks for any help... I'm having a hard time finding good tutorial-type stuff for intermediate-level cachers like me.

Sit back... relax... it'll all come in time...

1] An intermediary program is not necessary. GSAK is great and you can do a zillion things with it, but you do not need it to load PQ data to your unit. GSAK itself can take years to learn all it will (can) do.

Follow the steps outlined by StarBrand. An unzipped PQ download will have two files, one being the caches and the second being child waypoints. Drag and drop both of those files. Do not open the files as it does you no good. Your unit will arrange the data for you to read almost as if you were online looking at a cache page with your computer.

2] You cannot load more caches onto your unit without access to a computer. It's that simple. You can however, hand-enter coordinates for a waypoint and use that to find a cache.

This is one instance where GSAK could come in handy. You could run multiple Pocket Queries, load them to GSAK, combine that data and sort it THEN load it to your unit for travels. But... again, GSAK does have a fairly steep learning curve to get to know it well.

A differing response to this question would be to use multiple microSD cards. Load one PQ for this area, load another PQ on another card for a different area and so on. In that PQ files are not particularly large, you would not need larger data (more expensive) cards.

----------

A cautionary note: If you had used your eTrex BEFORE becoming a Premium Member, you need to delete all of that previous data from the device. If not, the device will default all new data to that of non-premium status, and you will be lacking info.

...just so you don't get "surprised".

----------

A cautionary note: If you had used your eTrex BEFORE becoming a Premium Member' date=' you need to delete [b']all[/b] of that previous data from the device. If not, the device will default all new data to that of non-premium status, and you will be lacking info.

...just so you don't get "surprised".

Oh? I hadnt known that! I have an Etrex20 and for the first time ill be loading a PQ on there. What data should be deleted from where?

Any GPX files in the garmion\gpx folder on the device.

OK, thanks all... I've got 'em now. Next question, probably more Etrex20 related: Now that I have a list of caches on my GPSr, how do I see which ones have TBs other than looking at each cache description? I can't find any icon that tags TBs. Or, do I have to filter them out in a PQ first? That's not ideal, 'cause where we want to go we want to see all the local caches, and then choose the occasional one to exchange TBs... so I'd have to be dealing with two different lists.

OK, thanks all... I've got 'em now. Next question, probably more Etrex20 related: Now that I have a list of caches on my GPSr, how do I see which ones have TBs other than looking at each cache description? I can't find any icon that tags TBs. Or, do I have to filter them out in a PQ first? That's not ideal, 'cause where we want to go we want to see all the local caches, and then choose the occasional one to exchange TBs... so I'd have to be dealing with two different lists.

No matter what you do... you'll be beating your head against a wall.

Reliance upon what the geocache list icons indicate, or what the geocache "inventory box" displays as geocoins or TBs as being present is little more than an exercise in futility.

It is the same info that would be fed to your GPSr with a PQ -- rendering that info just as useless. You really cannot rely on trackable data as being accurate in the least.

The ONLY way to determine whether a trackable may be present in any particular cache is by looking at the logs of each and every one listed as being present -- and that is iffy, at best. Try a few and I think you'll notice many trackables whose last log is 2 or more years old. That's a fairly decent indication that it is not present in the cache (even though still listed as being there).

Long and short of it, you really must individually research each and every cache that displays a trackable icon, along with each and every trackable that is supposedly in that cache. If you don't, you will be wasting lots of time, energy and fuel.

I know, it is hard to conceive, but cache trackable inventory lists have a horrendous record.

It's not the fault of the site or the programmers, it is the fault of cachers.

Side Note: "exchange" TBs? There is no trade policy with TBs. The trade aspect deals with SWAG, not trackables. Take 'em all if you want without the need for "exchange". The idea behind trackables is that they move, nothing else applies.

If you want to filter on attributes (i.e. TB there) you may want to consider a GSAK filter or just setup a pocket query specific to your use. If you only load that list of caches onto your GPS, you have a bullet proof filter. I think you will find many caches that list TB contain none! :(

You may also want to back up your etrex files (the whole GPS folder) onto your HD somewhere. It sure saved my bacon once or twice. The etrex seems pretty reliable these days, but a restore to factory settings and files is such a process!

Shaun

Thanks all for your help; I forgot how many times we looked for a TB that was no longer there... I still tend to be a bit idealistic about the whole thing. And no, I misspoke about exchanging... we do like to keep things moving and know there are no requirements for exchanging TBs.

Without having to learn GSAK just yet, perhaps if I just filtered for larger cache sizes then just maybe we'd get lucky - or at least have a place to drop off a TB. That would be enough for now I suppose.