underline a word

cash king

Can someone tell me how to underline a word in my new cache listing. I can do it in Microsoft word but it won't copy without losing the underline. I have windows XP if that makes a difference.

Thank You

Cash King

Here are four letters you will come to know and love: HTML. That's the short answer for customizing your cache listing. I learned and so can you. The pros will give more details.

Can someone tell me how to underline a word in my new cache listing. I can do it in Microsoft word but it won't copy without losing the underline. I have windows XP if that makes a difference.

Thank You

Cash King

The Help Center is a valuable resource.

Help Center → Geocaching → Cache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

6.4. HTML In Cache Descriptions

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=79

which will lead you this very helpful site:

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/htmlcodes.html

B.

An even easier way is to save your document as Web Page, filtered and the HTML will be created for you.

You can find this by doing a Save As and then look at the Save as type.

Once you have saved it open it using Notepad and Copy and Paste the HTML that was created.

This is how I create all of my cache descriptions.

What is HTML?

In your cache listing you can use html code. This is INCREDIBLY useful. HTML stands for Hyper Text Mark-up Language. This is the core for every website on the web. Every single one. On here they accept very basic html.

To use html code put <X> at the beginning of the text you want to edit and </X> at the end. These are called tags. Elements and are enclosed in brackets. <x> tells the browser that past this point everything should have this element. </x> tells the browser everything past this point should NOT have the element. It is the END of the element.

< - opening bracket

x - element

> - closing bracket

/ - the piece that distinguishes if it is an opening or closing tag. closing tag will have this

<u></u> creates underline

<b></b> creates bold

<h1></h1> - <h7></h7> creates different sizes

<center></center> centers everything

Some have no closing tag. They are empty elements. These do not edit text, and are just "there".

A page break would be empty. (<br />)

A picture would also be empty.

An empty element has the closing tag combined. <x /> there IS a space between x and /!

There are a ton more! Of both!

Keep in mind

-On the forums they wil have [ and ] instead. [ x ][ / x ]

-If you want to use multiple tags, they need to be contained inside each other. That is <b><u>hi</u></b> , See how underline is inside bold. They can be switched so bold is on the inside. But they can not be like this: <b><u>hi</b></u>. Here we see that neither one completely holds the other. The browser will not read this correctly.

Usage:

<h6>This is my title</h6>

<br />

<u>This is my subtitle</u>

<br />

This is my text. You can click this <u>fake link<u> if you want.

WOULD CREATE:

This is my title

This is my subtitle

This is my text. You can click this fake link if you want.

Extra notes

NOTE: If that was a real link i would need to include <a>. This is called an anchor. It looks like this:

<a href="http://www.example.com">TEXT HERE</a>

NOTE:On the page you do not need <br /> to add a new line. This is only in true HTML, not on a cache page.

Edited to add a ton more detail

Thank You very much it took me about 2 seconds to do this after I knew how.

Edited by cash king

An even easier way is to save your document as Web Page, filtered and the HTML will be created for you.

You can find this by doing a Save As and then look at the Save as type.

Once you have saved it open it using Notepad and Copy and Paste the HTML that was created.

This is how I create all of my cache descriptions.

Thanks I will try that

Cash King