Premium Membership Extras (Magellan eXplorist GC)

Poke-E

Would someone ... anyone have advice for me, a link to an online tutorial, something?

I am still pretty new to Geocaching but became hooked after only a few finds and became a premium member for extras you are supposed to get on your unit like description, previous logs, etc.

And nothing. I have a Magellan eXplorist GC and I am getting nothing. I even went back to a few of the caches I downloaded on my unit from the Geocaching site by clicking "Send to My GPS" then going to description from my unit and I'm getting nothing.

What are you doing that you get the extras on your eXplorist GC? :blink:

It could be that you are downloading the .loc file to your eXplorist instead of the .gpx file. My understanding (which is very little) is that the .loc file only has the GC# and coordinates.

If you build a pocket query, you will receive it in .gpx format. Or, if you like to hand-pick your caches, you can make a bookmark list of the caches you plan to do and build a pocket query from that list.

Best of luck! We have had our eXplorist for 2 years and absolutely love it!

Would someone ... anyone have advice for me, a link to an online tutorial, something?

I am still pretty new to Geocaching but became hooked after only a few finds and became a premium member for extras you are supposed to get on your unit like description, previous logs, etc.

And nothing. I have a Magellan eXplorist GC and I am getting nothing. I even went back to a few of the caches I downloaded on my unit from the Geocaching site by clicking "Send to My GPS" then going to description from my unit and I'm getting nothing.

What are you doing that you get the extras on your eXplorist GC? :blink:

If you used your eXplorist for geocaching at all before going Premium.... you need to delete all of that data from the unit.

What happens is that it will default the new data to Non-PM status if any of it is yet in the device.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Hi

We have a Magellan GC

To send stuff accross to your MAgellan you have to save it as a GPX file and then in your Downloaded files cut and paste to your magellan. The Magellan is almost a storage devise and you save stuff to it like you would a usb memory stick

Hope that helps

Edited by LingAyFamily

As was mentioned-you if you had caches in your unit before you have to delete everything and re-download it all.

Hi

We have a Magellan GC

To send stuff accross to your MAgellan you have to save it as a GPX file and then in your Downloaded files cut and paste to your magellan. The Magellan is almost a storage devise and you save stuff to it like you would a usb memory stick

Hope that helps

Unless they changed it during one of the last website updates that's not true. While it will work(It will work for all GPS units, after all they are storage devices) you can use download the Magellan communicator, and have one click downloads.

In BaseCamp you use the menu to IMPORT your gpx PQ into BaseCamp. And you can send to the GPS from Basecamp. I use BaseCamp to manage separate lists or groups of caches, but I just use the drag and drop method to send the gpx files to the GPS.

BaseCamp is a Garmin product, and likely wouldn't work with the OP's Magellan.

I had a similar problem occur when I first purchase my eXplorist GC. First off, as one of the previous replies said, delete all of the data on your GPSr. Don't worry about losing the caches on there because half of them are just the most favorited caches in the United States and chances are you won't be traveling to the caches that are thousands of miles away.

Next, as a premium member, you need to create some PQ's. I personally have seven active PQ's: one for the closest 1000 caches to my house, four PQ's for caches in/near the four closest cities, and then a couple of caches along routes that I often take. Then all you need to do is copy and paste the .gpx file after you've downloaded the PQ into the "Geocaches" folder within the Magellan folder. If that didn't make sense, there are a couple of guides on YouTube.

But if you follow those instructions, you'll have all of the extra information you need and you'll have access to those premium member only caches. Hope this helped.

All you ever wanted to know about doing a PQ and transferring it to either a Garmin GPS or Magellan GPS....

The page on paperless caching on my resource site explains it all. At the bottom of the page a series of 'How to' docs, easily to read and understand.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website