FTF geocoin

Royalewithch3ese

Purchased a hide a cache set from website. FTF coin came in set, and I activated it thinking it would travel. Now I think it's supposed to be left unactivated for FTF to activate! Do I now have a bogus FTF coin activated in my username, can I deactivate it somehow, or can it still travel even though we weren't the FTF it?

Signed,

Confused

Ok. So the point is to give that coin away right? Not to register myself and send it out there?

It's entirely up to you what you want to do with the coin. If you want to leave it as a gift for the FTF, though, it would be best to leave it unactivated. Otherwise, it really isn't a gift, and is just another trackable like all the others you see moving around.

Ok. So the point is to give that coin away right? Not to register myself and send it out there?

Haha, this post is gonna help me a lot, because I did the SAME thing. I cant wait for the above question to be answered.

You could adopt it to another cacher as mentioned. I feel that an "activated" Trackable is less of a "prize", but people would enjoy it anyway. Another idea is to keep it yourself and make a Visit log at caches where you're the First To Find. Or log it any way you like.

If you're feeling very lucky, drop it into a cache (maybe an FTF cache), and see how far it travels. But don't place any item you're not willing to lose.

Haha, this post is gonna help me a lot, because I did the SAME thing. I cant wait for the above question to be answered.

I emailed Groundspeak and they replied they could deactivate coin if I still have the coin. They asked for a picture of the coin with trackable code showing before they would deactivate it though. I sent in a picture, but haven't heard back from them yet.

To clarify,

The coin that comes with the kit can be either 1) activated by the purchaser to travel 2) be left unactivated and left as a "FTF gift" or 3) activated and adopted to whomever you like (FTF, or otherwise)

While a very kindly gift for the FTF, you are not obligated to gift it as such. If FTF gifts are a norm in your area, certainly consider using the coin in the kit as a gift. However, you are not required to gift the coin in any form.