Is there a way to download to my GPSr without losing the German-English translation?

KnottFamous5

I have used Google translate to translate the description of caches in Austria from German to English. However, when I download the cache information to my eTrex 10, the description reverts to German. As my German is sadly non-existent, please could anyone help me to find a way of downloading in English?

I have used Google translate to translate the description of caches in Austria from German to English. However, when I download the cache information to my eTrex 10, the description reverts to German. As my German is sadly non-existent, please could anyone help me to find a way of downloading in English?

I don't think there is such functionality provided.

Your best bet is to print out the translated page.

I don't think there is such functionality provided.

Your best bet is to print out the translated page.

Or perhaps you could save the translated page for offline use on another device (like your smartphone?).

Thank you for your advice. GSAK is new to me - what is this please? (I'm not very technically-minded)

Geocaching Swiss Army Knife

An extremely handy third-party software that does all sorts of wonderful and exciting things to/with your geocaching data.

Not extremely expensive ($30 US), but has a rather steep learning curve at the beginning.

Window only, so if you are an Apple user that could will cause additional complications.

Thank you again. I have now paid for, registered, downloaded and set up GSAK. However, I cannot see any way of using this software to translate. When downloading translated GPX files from geocaching.com, they remain in German once in GSAK. How can GSAK be used for the ultimate downloading of translated cache descriptions onto my GPSr?

When downloading translated GPX files from geocaching.com...

I'm confused by this. The site has no such function to translate cache descriptions. Where are you downloading these GPX files from?

Anyway, where GSAK comes in is that you can edit the description for a cache in a GSAK database, and then upload it to your GPSr from there. Therefore, you can do a translation of the description using whatever tool you want (ie. Google Translate or whatever), copy the translation and paste it into the description in GSAK, then upload it to your GPSr.

When downloading translated GPX files from geocaching.com...

I'm confused by this. The site has no such function to translate cache descriptions. Where are you downloading these GPX files from?

Anyway, where GSAK comes in is that you can edit the description for a cache in a GSAK database, and then upload it to your GPSr from there. Therefore, you can do a translation of the description using whatever tool you want (ie. Google Translate or whatever), copy the translation and paste it into the description in GSAK, then upload it to your GPSr.

I'm downloading GPX files of caches from Geocaching.com to Windows, as per the GSAK instructions. I shall now attempt the translation process you have suggested. Thank you.

Select Notes column in GSAK 'User Notes'

View > add/remove column > Notes

Double click on the column/space for each cache

Copy the translation into the User Notes section -top box of the panel that opens.

Anything in User Notes will appear in the first 'log' when sent to the GPS by GSAK

Thank you. I shall try now.

Copy the translation into the User Notes section -top box of the panel that opens.

Anything in User Notes will appear in the first 'log' when sent to the GPS by GSAK

Which will still leave the original (and 'unreadable') German description. :(

Better to copy/paste the translated description and REPLACE the German with English. :)

To do this, right click on the listing of choice and choose 'edit'. A dialog box opens in which you can change every field in the listing. At the bottom is the section for the short description, long description, and the hint. This is where you need to paste your copied English translation.

A-HA!

Just as I suspected, there is a Translator splitscreen macro, HTML_Translate.gsk which would come in handy if you have a lot of language translations to do.

I won't go into how to install and use macros, nor the split-screen in GSAK since this whole discussion belongs in the GSAK forums and not here.

Hopefully the OP now has enough information to proceed.

Which will still leave the original (and 'unreadable') German description. :(

Better to copy/paste the translated description and REPLACE the German with English. :)

To do this, right click on the listing of choice and choose 'edit'. A dialog box opens in which you can change every field in the listing. At the bottom is the section for the short description, long description, and the hint. This is where you need to paste your copied English translation.

A-HA!

Just as I suspected, there is a Translator splitscreen macro, HTML_Translate.gsk which would come in handy if you have a lot of language translations to do.

I won't go into how to install and use macros, nor the split-screen in GSAK since this whole discussion belongs in the GSAK forums and not here.

Hopefully the OP now has enough information to proceed.