Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Tante.Hossi

Beach Volleyball Courts

22 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about a new category: Beach Volleyball Courts

We have already several different kinds of sports' locations at Waymarking.com. But we do not have a place to waymark 'Beach Volleyball Courts'.

We have:

• Amateur Baseball Fields
  • Artificial Climbing Walls
  • Lawn Bowling
  • Minor League Baseball Stadiums
  • Outdoor Basketball Courts
  • Skateparks
  • Tennis Facilities

and some others more.

So why should we not create a category for Beach Volleyball Courts?

These courts are global and as interesting as those other sports' locations as well.

Beach Volleyball is an olympic dicipline since 1996.

I think there are 3 common kinds of those locations:

• public courts (at parks, public swimming pools, beaches, ...)
  • (semi-) professional courts at sports clubs (maybe not open to the public)
  • non permanent courts for (annual) events

They can be found indoor or outdoor. But most times outdoor.

What do you think? Is this a feasible idea?

Nice idea.

But be aware:

If this should go to the peer review I will only vote YEA, if it's a requirement that beautiful ladies in bikinis are playing at the moment you are taking the pictures!

Serious:

I think it's better to do it only for outdoor fields. By the way, do we have a category for 'Turnhallen'/gymnasiums?

These fields are something special in countries which have no sand beaches. If you have a long beach at a tourist region, there are maybe fields every few meters. (Or sometimes only two poles).

-lumbricus :laughing:

I first wanted to hear what the others are thinking.

My personal preferences would be

• permanent
  • outside

...By the way, do we have a category for 'Turnhallen'/gyms?...

Are they too boring? I have one near my house :)

At least around here they are usually part of a school area. That's problematic. And yes, they are boring to visit if it's just for the building.

I would say most of them are boring. Please no category for gyms.

I would say most of them are boring. Please no category for gyms.

Ha, don't be afraid, I'm not planning to create a group. No group, no category :anicute:

To come back to the topic: does anyone has any opinions to this category idea?

A group has been created years ago to manage a potential category. So let's try to work out a good category.

What would be a better name: Beach Volleyball Courts or Sand Volleyball Courts?

Should indoor courts also be accepted?

No.

No.

Dito.

No.

Dito.

Thanks for your answers and for the clear words without any small possibility of any misunderstood. I go with the same thing. Only outdoor courts.

To come back to the topic: does anyone has any opinions to this category idea?

We do not think this is interesting -- there is not much to see (sand, two poles, maybe a net) and not much to photograph.

Is it relevant that a group formed on this 4 years ago and nothing came of it?

Is it relevant that a group formed on this 4 years ago and nothing came of it?

It would be wise to contact them and ask what the issues were. Did they put the category up for peer review? Was there a discussion in the forums? They might have some helpful advice.

Many of these may be seasonal, at least in temperate climates, and are only set up with nets, etc. during the season.

How "official" do they have to be? For instance, a summer camp where I often volunteer, sets one up every year where we have rousing games. Or the school where I taught in Korea plays sand volleyball in the school yard -- in season, of course.

#1 requirement: "If this should go to the peer review I will only vote YEA, if it's a requirement that beautiful ladies in bikinis are playing at the moment you are taking the pictures!"

#1 requirement: "If this should go to the peer review I will only vote YEA, if it's a requirement that beautiful ladies in bikinis are playing at the moment you are taking the pictures!"

Agree! Only I could do without the bikinis... :D

I'm in contact with the original group to get some information about the earlier days of this idea.

I think the court has to be some kind of permanent. This does not mean it can't be closed or removed for some weeks or months in the year. The court might be at a park, a public swimming pool, a sports club, a campsite or a beach if it's some kind of permanent.

I don't think those sports locations make good categories. They are interesting if you are into this kind of sports, but not from a Waymarking point of view. They all look the same, they are not special to visit and take pictures.

And those categories all do not do very well, at least not here in Europe. Have a look at the existing categories, like Baseball, Billiard, Tennis, Bowling and all the other sports facilities.

What's in there in Europe? Mostly one from every well-known icon hunter: ToRo61, Dragontree, SUp3rFM & Cruella, tmob, you and me.

Beach Volleyball would go exactly the same route, I am sure. That's not worth it.

I don't think those sports locations make good categories. They are interesting if you are into this kind of sports, but not from a Waymarking point of view. They all look the same, they are not special to visit and take pictures.

And those categories all do not do very well, at least not here in Europe. Have a look at the existing categories, like Baseball, Billiard, Tennis, Bowling and all the other sports facilities.

What's in there in Europe? Mostly one from every well-known icon hunter: ToRo61, Dragontree, SUp3rFM & Cruella, tmob, you and me.

Beach Volleyball would go exactly the same route, I am sure. That's not worth it.

Maybe you're right! Maybe I have to re-think ...

Yes, this is how we would approach this category. If it were to be approved we would find one and be done.