sticker caches?

During a recent meet a few people went to find a local cache, I decided to go with. On the way back we stopped at a second location. I think it was a sticker with a barcode, and everyone scanned it with their phones. Is this another geocaching game? sorry if this is a dumb question!

During a recent meet a few people went to find a local cache, I decided to go with. On the way back we stopped at a second location. I think it was a sticker with a barcode, and everyone scanned it with their phones. Is this another geocaching game? sorry if this is a dumb question!

Look up QR codes. It isn't a "Geocaching.com" game, per se, but has become a part of the geo-locating part of the game of geocaching.

Look up QR codes. It isn't a "Geocaching.com" game, per se, but has become a part of the geo-locating part of the game of geocaching.

WRONG ANSWER! :mad:

That other game has absolutely nothing to do with Geocaching.

Both games involve the use of GPS to get to the locations, but that's it.

Well it was.most likely that other game, but it could have been a multi stage with QR codes as stages.

WRONG ANSWER! :mad:

That other game has absolutely nothing to do with Geocaching.

Both games involve the use of GPS to get to the locations, but that's it.

Umm, doesn't it use QR codes?

Do you not see my big "G" and small "g"? Isn't it geolocating? There is a difference between Geocaching (as in Groundspeak's Geocaching.com) and geocaching (as in finding something at a known geographic location)

[Expletive deleted] is based off of the fundamentals of geocaching and adds another layer of fun to the hunt.

Little quick to the trigger?

Edited by NeverSummer

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you ask the people you were with?

To Original Poster: By now you may have realized that your friends were likely involved in another game which Groundspeak does not want mentioned here because it is considered a competing enterprise.

Whether they are ACTUALLY a competing enterprise may be subject to debate. Whether or not they are involved in geocaching or Geocaching is moot.

It's part of another game to see how many times it can be mentioned in this forum. :rolleyes:

Isn't that QR coding game a lot like tagging? I know tagging got popular in the 80's originally by surfers and skateboarders. Tagging crews would have stickers made up and stick them to lampposts and other infrastructure in their areas. Then commercial tags started popping up for garage bands and businesses that catered to teens and gave away stickers for them to put up. Then of course the riff raff started doing their version by forming tagging crews and using spray paint which would evolve into criminal gangs. Now placing stickers is lumped right in there as the same kind of vandalism at least here in So. Cal. I'm surprised the authorities haven't been getting nasty about it.

Then again I suppose geocaching could be considered as littering by some.

ahhh that games odd Edited by Off Grid

It's part of another game to see how many times it can be mentioned in this forum. :rolleyes:

So that makes it a competitive sport? I hope the old time zee'rs don't mind that their game has come to that. :lol:

ahhh that games odd

Kinda like finding tupperware in bushes isn't odd. :rolleyes: