Geocache Treasure Hunt

Guest BooKat

Guest BooKat

I have an idea for an organized game in Maryland that I hope to start in the next couple of weeks. It combines Geocaching and an old fashioned, clue solving treasure hunt. It basically will go something like this. I will place a cache and post it as is normally done. Inside of the cache will be the first of several clues which, when solved, will lead you to a specific landmark. I will post a new cache every week with a new clue in each one until the riddle is solved. Once someone has solved the riddle, they will go to that location, and using their GPS, write down the lat. and long. of the landmark as well as what the landmark is. They will then email me this information so that I can verify that they have correctly solved the riddle. If the riddle has been solved, I will give them the coordinates to the "prize" cache which will contain a reward, such as a gift certificate. Please let me know if you think if this is a good idea or not.

Guest bpuetz

I think something along these lines would be fun, but what happens if the first person to arrive removes the clue? What I have been thinking about is how to remove the time element, or at least reduce its importance.

What I have been thinking of is hiding 5 or 6 caches that each contain part of a clue. Then, when someone has visited all the caches and knows the answer, they could email me the answer and their name would be entered in a drawing. I would let it run for 90 days or so, then go and retrieve the caches.

I think there are a zillion variations on these themes. I suspect that we just need to try some of them out to see what works and what doesn't.

Keep us posted.

Bill

Guest ferdinand

How about a cash cache? Great for a club. every antis up $5(or dealer choice?) a person not hunting hides the cache and publishes only the coordinates. first one there wins the pool.

Guest logscaler

Why not a " Fox and Hounds" style hunt? The "Fox" gets a head start for a location and the "Hounds" try and beat the "Fox" there?