DNF OCD

What does OCD mean????

Its a simple question but is this silence an indication of the geocache helpfullness?

OCD

Newly-discovered condition: "Obsessive Caching Disorder" - a condition characterized by seeking hidden Tupperware or other small enclosures to the point where it interferes with the activities of daily living on a regular basis. Common symptoms include walking in circles, examining the physical world in an unusual manner, rushing to new sites immediately after they are announced, concealing the activity from non-participants via self-described "stealth," and joining together with others similarly afflicted in a real-world or online subculture.

Does anyone else have a little but of OCD when it comes to DNFing a cache? Once I DNF a cache I feel like I now MUST find it eventually. Should I just get over this? :)

Depends on the cache and the location.

I think my most stubborn found-it-eventually was a cache 3500 miles away from home that I found on something like my 8th attempt and my 3rd trip to the area, my find coming nearly four years after my first DNF. The reason I kept going back was because it was a place where I could combine hunting the cache with watching migrating raptors and the views were amazing. When I finally logged my find I soon got a note from a guy who lived within about 5 miles of it saying how encouraged he had been by my logs, as his children were thinking they'd never find it and he could point to my logs to show them that if I could find it despite living so far away they could find it given they could walk up the mountain any time they wanted.

Some caches I DNF and promptly put on my ignore list.

If it's a place I'd want to go back to I'll go back; if it's the kind of hide like a film pot in a pile of junk behind an urban junction box I see no need to go back.

I roll up behind a restaurant and a smelly grease recycling container, check two or three obvious spots and I'm out of there. I post my DNF and put it on the Ignore list. Meanwhile, the fourth cache I ever looked for is in an orange grove at the back of a city park. I came back every 4-6 months for over 7 years until I finally found it. I love avenging the DNFs, but not if it means going back to a place I would rather not be.

So OCD I'm browsing gc.com and the forums to figure out a way to generate a list of all my log entries ever to build that go-look-again list. (You know, I might have overlooked putting one on the watchlist!) :D

http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=3 Will give you a list of your DNF logs.

See....I knew there was something I'd used before but forgotten...and a kind person here would give me that whack to jog those memory cells back into place.

I'm beholden to you!

Edited by DaxVolks

I started out geocaching on my own. And though I don't normally have OCD, finding the first 10 or so GCs was just enough to lead me into the false sense of security that I'd be able to find all of them I go looking for. Wow, was I wrong! Not long later I ended up looking for nearly 5 hours for 3 different caches.

Turns out that one of them was buried (not legal), one of them was quietly replaced by the CO, and the other was there, but the coordinates were pretty far off, and I wasn't used to that yet. But reasons aside, I eventually found all 3 of them (after someone unburied the one), but I realized that it could quickly become a frustration instead of a fun hobby.

Even after that, when I couldn't find a cache I'd DNF it (of course) and then put it on my watch list. Then I realized that that only made me mad (at myself).

I'd have to agree with briansnat. I go geocaching to enjoy getting there and if I can find the cache. (I don't really care about the searching at all. Finding is good, but just being there is also good.) So if I don't find a GC anymore, I've already accomplished 90% of what I started out to do. I'll log a DNF and usually also place it on my Ignore list. I don't care about the challenge of going back, unless someone wants to go with me. I've groomed myself to keep it a fun activity and not a frustration.

The only GCs I keep on my watchlist are ones that I haven't been to yet, but I might be interested in them, only their logs show that there may be issues. I'll watch them until I feel like the guinea pigs who went before me have either resolved the issues (download it), or the GC will go on my Ignore list. Let someone else have the frustration, I always say!

Edited by MountainWoods

OCD? I never thought of it that way, but I have it, for sure. It's like it's a personal affront to me. Especially if it's currently the closest one to my house, and it keeps showing up on my gps when I turn it on. :) My wife usually keeps me in check, though. "We don't really need to look for that one again, do we?" But there are so many out there, that it really really doesn't matter. But it does. LOL