How do you stop a geocache from "migrating" around over time?

Nick - Cacher

Yesterday, I went to check on two of my geocaches, after someone had logged a "DNF" for both of them. When I went to the cache, which was a regular size and had tradeables inside, I couldn't find it! Only after thinking it had been muggled, and was searching around for a new possible spot to hide a new container, I finally found my geocache. However, it was 100 feet away from where I had hid it! How does that happen?

I don't know how people place it 100 feet from where it was hidden! On the cache page, I had put in a note to return it back exactly how one found it. I even tied a thin plastic green rope around it, and tied the other end to a tree, to create a leash to discourage it from migrating around. The thin plastic rope had been broken. It was like someone wanted to take it out of the forest at this city park, so they could show their friends/family members, and were too lazy to return it to where they found it! I also suspect the laziness factor because the cache had not been vandalized but rather moved that distance away. The movers were probably confused why a CO even attach a thin plastic rope to a cache container :rolleyes:

Do other people have problems with their caches migrating around like that over time! What do you do to limit that?

I was thinking I could get some thick aircraft cable from Lowes, paint it brown, then strap the cache container to a tree! However, when I got permission from the city park superintendent, he said just as long as no damage is done to the park he's okay with me placing geocaches in whatever city parks I want. So, I might be worried using the aircraft cable could possibly somehow cause damage to a tree, or be frowned upon?

The second cache of mine that I checked on, because of those "Didn't find it" logs, was one of those magnetic nanos. I had placed it on a chain link fence. I couldn't find it at first, but after searching for a while, I found that someone had re-hid it on the same fence a ways from where I had originally placed it. I'm glad I found it because I didn't want to have to order another one! I don't know how you stop magnetic nanos from migrating around?

While not necessarily what happens in each case, I find that migration comes about because of groups, most usually a family -- Jimmy the 12-yr old finds it, grabs it up and takes it to where the rest of the family gathers about to go through it. Mom or Dad sign the log and by the time they are done -- all of the kiddies are on to doing other things. Guess who puts it back? Not the one who knows where it was. There are variations of that, but basically it's all the same -- one finds it, another "returns" it.

Different than groups of cachers together, as there is a stronger sense of responsibility -- but it can happen then, it's just less likely.

EDIT to add: How do you stop it? Maybe a 40 lb. logging chain and heavy-duty padlocks.

I had put in a note to return it back exactly how one found it.

You surely don't think that people (many or most?) actually read the notes while attending to SWAG, do you?

That's like asking them to read a Stop sign or No Passing sign while driving.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I currently have 2 caches of mine that I cannot find for the life of me. I know they still exist because others find them.

Between folks rehiding them where they think it should have been to the rehid by somebody who did not make the find to careless cachers. I don't know how to fix the issue.

There is only one way that I know works: regular maintenance visits.

One of my caches managed to migrate a couple of centimeters within the first couple of months and I replaced it in its original spot on my next visit.

Well, rather than just a few centimeters, this moved 100 feet! I even measured it with my GPS, and since it's camo it was difficult to tell where it was when it's that far away.

This matters to me because if a cache of mine appears muggled, but really isn't, going out and getting a new cache container is just a waste!

Edited by Nick - Cacher
I don't know how people place it 100 feet from where it was hidden! On the cache page, I had put in a note to return it back exactly how one found it. I even tied a thin plastic green rope around it, and tied the other end to a tree, to create a leash to discourage it from migrating around. The thin plastic rope had been broken. It was like someone wanted to take it out of the forest at this city park, so they could show their friends/family members, and were too lazy to return it to where they found it! I also suspect the laziness factor because the cache had not been vandalized but rather moved that distance away.

Is it possible that a critter might have picked up the container and was carrying it? There was a cache in my area that had been carried off by a bear and used as a toy. It was almost 200 feet away from GZ.

I have a cache that has a tether on it. Seems that at one time there were some cache thieves working in the area and this one went AWOL twice. (Not any more!) :lol:

Is it possible that a critter might have picked up the container and was carrying it? There was a cache in my area that had been carried off by a bear and used as a toy. It was almost 200 feet away from GZ.

I have a cache that has a tether on it. Seems that at one time there were some cache thieves working in the area and this one went AWOL twice. (Not any more!) :lol:

A critter could move some caches out there. However, this one is bigger than most and I found it right side up, no teeth marks in it, plus it was in a city park, so I'm thinking rather than a bear it was a human.

Sometimes I find it difficult to get a cache back in the exact hiding spot since I simply can't remember which of those hundred similar looking holes it was in. Yes, I may have marked the hole I got it from, but forgot.

So as cache owner I would make sure a mark is there already. Mark the fence post, provide a identifiable mounting or anything else what makes clear, where the cache should be. This could be even visible or understandable only after finding the cache, just something unique.*

When caching with kids I pay attention to the phenomenon they find it and don't know where. With more than one kid this may be more supervising the kids than searching myself. But kids can do this as well when instructed. My 6 y/o meanwhile is experienced enough to not destroy hides and rebuilding them exactly as found. On the last two caches he was faster than me and did all correct. Yes, I'm feeling old (but at least did my thing to build an experienced new geocacher generation).

*BTW: for me, hiding a cache should be "hide from muggles", not "hide from cachers".

One of my caches managed to migrate a couple of centimeters within the first couple of months and I replaced it in its original spot on my next visit.

.787 inches in two months? I think the tectonic plates are moving faster than that.

:)

While not necessarily what happens in each case, I find that migration comes about because of groups, most usually a family -- Jimmy the 12-yr old finds it, grabs it up and takes it to where the rest of the family gathers about to go through it. Mom or Dad sign the log and by the time they are done -- all of the kiddies are on to doing other things. Guess who puts it back? Not the one who knows where it was. There are variations of that, but basically it's all the same -- one finds it, another "returns" it.

There's also finders who like to hide the cache a bit "better" than when they found it. They think they know where the cache should go better than the CO does. After a few visits from these cachers the cache could be miles away.

There's also finders who like to hide the cache a bit "better" than when they found it. They think they know where the cache should go better than the CO does. After a few visits from these cachers the cache could be miles away.

I had the FTF, who was a very experienced cacher, hide one of mine better than he found it. Three DNFs later, I went and took a look. It took me almost an hour to find it. It's the only time that I have been really tempted to log a find on my own cache.

Yesterday, I went to check on two of my geocaches, after someone had logged a "DNF" for both of them. When I went to the cache, which was a regular size and had tradeables inside, I couldn't find it! Only after thinking it had been muggled, and was searching around for a new possible spot to hide a new container, I finally found my geocache. However, it was 100 feet away from where I had hid it! How does that happen?

I don't know how people place it 100 feet from where it was hidden!

Is the there any chance they thought your coords were 100 feet off?!

;)

;)

I'm very new at this but I can't imagine deciding the coordinates being so wrong that I would move it on my own. At least not without a very clear indication that the cache was not where it should be such as a description that the cache is in an orange barrel chained to a light post and that was the only one in the area. My one time I found something I felt was in the wrong location I made note of such on my log for the find but left it where it was and contacted the CO directly explaining precisely where I found it (and left it). It was in the spot wrong but it was also possible I was wrong about where it should have been. I was wrong once. I think it was a Tuesday. :rolleyes: However, someone felt it necessary to move it and this was probably the result of the described cover not being there anymore. However, that person didn't mention that in a log nor contact the CO. In this case, though, it was only about a dozen feet.

.787 inches in two months? I think the tectonic plates are moving faster than that.

:)

So maybe the cache didn't move after all....the earth moved from under it....😎

Do other people have problems with their caches migrating around like that over time! What do you do to limit that?

The first cache I ever placed seemed (to me) simple to put back exactly right. But it's not. So after a find, I go put it back in its place. Same with one ammo can at a large rock. But they aren't far for me.

My newest caches (match tube Micros) have a magnet mount held with velcro to a tree branch, and a magnet on the container. There's exactly one way to put them back. I have an ammo can that has a secured cable and clip, and a Micro that fits into a secured tube. Those all are staying put pretty well.

Another cache (ammo can) has a non-migrating cover, kind of a nest -- a spot where the container hides. And it's a Puzzle Cache, and the park has a $10 fee for non-residents. I placed it there with the intention that it would be a quiet cache. Not a lotta finders, not a lotta maintenance. :anibad:

That last example migrated twice, anyway. Once after a tornado(!) removed the cover and blew it away, and the finder just found a place to put the ammo can on open ground in the general area. Once when the ammo can got covered with fire ants. :yikes:

Edited by kunarion

I would have to say that on all my caches, there's only one place it can go back....you'd just have to drop it on the ground and not even be attempting to put it back for it to be anywhere else. But that's just the nature of those particular hiding spots.

I can see where if you had a cache hidden in a row of shrubs, or a micro attached to a fence or a guardrail, or in a rock wall, where there would be numerous places for it to be hidden that all pretty much look alike, then migration is bound to occur.

So I guess the best way to prevent it is to select hiding spots where it's obvious there's only one place to hide it. That's not always possible, and even if it is it's no guarantee,but it might help.

Triple check your coords with a real GPS before hiding cache.

Provide a bomb-proof hint describing the exact hide on your cache listing.

Post a spoiler photo of the cache in the photo gallery of the cache listing.

Laminate a copy of the spoiler photo with exact hiding instructions on the back and place this inside your cache.

Secure container to a fixed object with a loop of rope or crimped cable.

Perform regular cache maintenance.

;)

Well, I had tied the cache container to a tree using green plastic twine (which either they or someone before them decided to break), which doesn't sound accidental. When the cache had been placed 100 feet away, it was in a completely different group of trees than where I had hid it (there are various islands of trees throughout the park), so I'm not sure how that was them mistaking where it needed to be returned to versus just being lazy about making sure it went back to the correct location. Even if they had kids who got to the cache before the parents did, I don't understand why the parents wouldn't know that their kids were searching that island of trees instead of the one 100 feet away, especially when their GPS should let them know the general group of trees it was in. When posting my coordinates online, I had gone to the park multiple times using the "waypoint averaging" feature on my Garmin GPS, so it was impossible for me to have coordinates that would be off by that much.

I have had well experienced cachers move my caches for the good. Which I really appreciate. I still consider myself slightly new, one of them said that the container I was using was common for leaks so he moved it to higher ground. My other cache I'm not sure they intentionally moved it but it was put back in a better spot lol. When I went to check on it I thought "Why didn't I think of that?" But when I placed that one it was at night so I probably just didn't notice that it could be put at the better angle than how I originally had it. Sadly though, I've been back since then and it's moved out of the better spot. As long as it doesn't get muggled though, I don't mind if people decide to move it around ground zero.

However, I do have another cache that I placed in a spot out of sight that I really liked. When I just recently went to replace the log I had found someone took it out of it's hiding place and tied it to a fence a few feet away in plain sight. I was pretty mad. Considering it's a colorful container it could have gotten stolen very easily by someone causally driving by. This is actually why I suspect the log was missing. My guess is a muggle drove by, noticed it, stopped to see what it was and found some random piece of paper that probably confused them and likely just tossed it and continued on their way. :/