Multiple Trackables in a Cache

Spunkie92

I generally only take one, but I have on occasion taken 2 or more. If there are more than one, I like to leave one or more for the next person. I'll take down the numbers of all of them so I can discover them. What you do is your decision. Just make sure to pass on the ones you take.

If the cache is described as a travel bug hotel or the like, I try to leave at least one there. If there is only one I'll probably leave it, or exchange it (though I wouldn't be averse to moving it if I knew it had been there a while).

Edited by Kacher82

I'm going geocaching with my other half tonight, one of the caches I would like to hit has multiple trackables in it. Is it unethical to take a couple considering that we are going to the Oregon Coast this weekend and have some time to cache while we're there?

You can take as many as you feel that you can help with moving on to other caches.

If you do find multiple trackables in a cache, but decided to leave some, take down their tracking numbers and post "discovered" logs for them. You can reassure trackable owners by confirming that their trackables are still in the cache.

But don't be disappointed if the inventory lists of those caches are inaccurate, and there aren't any trackables at all in them. It wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last, that a cache is completely empty of trackables, despite what the inventory says.

B.

I was going to take two from a cache the other day but one had the mission of going to all the Disney parks and since I would be going north in the next couple of weeks instead of south, I left that one for someone else to take. If I can take more, I do. Figure thats better than just "discovering" them.

As a owner of TB - I would be happy if you took as many as you want and move them to another -- regardless of the mission - just to keep them moving. Would prefer to go in the direction of the mission though.

Who is this young geocacher with such wisdom? Took me a while to understand this simple fact.

Edited by BlueDeuce

We travel a lot and take all the TB's we find and drop them during our trips. I think the TB owner would appreciate that. There are some cache owners who try to put limits on the number you take and even want you to not take more than you leave. I ignore those restrictions and take everything. On a few occasions we have received nasty emails from cache owners who are unhappy when we remove all the TBs. I reply that the TB's want to travel.

One cacher thought it was bad form to take a TB and not leave one. I thought it was okay to take a TB and move it to another cache without leaving one - I didn't have one to leave. Please comment on the proper procedure - are you suppose to exchange or can you just take one to move it on?

There is nothing wrong with taking TBs and not leaving others in return. TBs are not exchange items, they are meant to travel. And if you see a cache where the cache owner stipulates that you have to leave a TB to take a TB, you should take all the TBs and move them along. TBs belong to the person who released them, not the owners of the caches they rest in.

One cacher thought it was bad form to take a TB and not leave one. I thought it was okay to take a TB and move it to another cache without leaving one - I didn't have one to leave. Please comment on the proper procedure - are you suppose to exchange or can you just take one to move it on?

There is nothing wrong with taking TBs and not leaving others in return. TBs are not exchange items, they are meant to travel. And if you see a cache where the cache owner stipulates that you have to leave a TB to take a TB, you should take all the TBs and move them along. TBs belong to the person who released them, not the owners of the caches they rest in.

Amen.

Yes, there's no requirement for tit-for-tat. On the other hand, contrary to what the TB owners here are saying, it is also alright to consider other things such as whether there's a TB there for the next guy, whether the cache owner is asking you to help keep a TB hotel stocked, and whether the next person to visit the cache might move the TB along quicker than you will.

So in other words, it's up to you, either way. It's fine to consider the TB owners' interests, and it's fine to consider other seekers' interests. Me, I almost always take a TB if it's there, I'll trade TBs if I happen to be carrying one, I'll only take one TB if there are two in the cache unless I doubt the cache will be visited again any time soon, and I tend to drop a TB as soon as I find a suitable cache that's not too near where I found the TB, although I'll make an exception and hold a TB for a week or even two if I'm going to be taking a trip.

When I set up the cache "Dew Drop Inn", it was when the first travel bugs were being released to the world. I had hopes that it would be popular with travelers but never intended for any to stay very long. I dont see the point in requiring someone to trade a bug for a bug much less keeping a stable of bugs in your cache.

Yes, there's no requirement for tit-for-tat. On the other hand, contrary to what the TB owners here are saying, it is also alright to consider other things such as whether there's a TB there for the next guy, whether the cache owner is asking you to help keep a TB hotel stocked, and whether the next person to visit the cache might move the TB along quicker than you will.

So in other words, it's up to you, either way. It's fine to consider the TB owners' interests, and it's fine to consider other seekers' interests. Me, I almost always take a TB if it's there, I'll trade TBs if I happen to be carrying one, I'll only take one TB if there are two in the cache unless I doubt the cache will be visited again any time soon, and I tend to drop a TB as soon as I find a suitable cache that's not too near where I found the TB, although I'll make an exception and hold a TB for a week or even two if I'm going to be taking a trip.

Nice job on adding your personal bent.

If you can take a TB, do it. If you can take two Tbs do that as well. If you can't help, even in the slightest, leave it.

Considering the next cacher does nothing.