[Feature] Show archive logs of Previous Caches

StarBrand

It would be a neat feature during the new cache submit process to show the archive log(s) of any previous caches that existed in the past within (for example) 50 feet of a newly proposed hide. That way a cacher might be able to determine if a new cache can successfully exist for an extended period in that location.

We all know that certain locations turn out to be more muggle prone or severe weather affected than we count on - be nice to draw on past experiences for a particular spot.

I could see the value in this.

I can also see the value in maintaining an offline database of all the caches in my state, so I can check to see what happened to a previous cache in/near a particular location. ;)

Of course that won't help a N00b, so perhaps a dialog stating that '17 caches have been placed within 100 feet of your chosen location that have since been archived' WOULD be a good idea.

I don't see it happening, but it's a good idea.

I've got a couple of ideas that would help myself, and possibly others.

I don't see them happening either...might as well bark at the moon. :lol:

I don't see the benefit in this....

Why?

Because not all caches are created equal. Container, size, & location, location, location. Just because one container didn't survive, doesn't mean that a totally different container would have the same result.

I had a black blinkie hidden on part of a frame/beam in a gazebo of a park. I chose the blinkie because the spot was somewhat 'out in the open' The blinkie was supposed to be less noticeable. After replacing the blinkie 3x (one cacher admitted to dropping it and couldn't find it) - I put an MKH in the same spot. OUT in the open....and easily visible (almost too visible). That MKH has lasted for over a year now....and still going strong.

Edited by Lieblweb

I don't see the benefit in this....

Why?

Because not all caches are created equal. Container, size, & location, location, location. Just because one container didn't survive, doesn't mean that a totally different container would have the same result.

I had a black blinkie hidden on part of a frame/beam in a gazebo of a park. I chose the blinkie because the spot was somewhat 'out in the open' The blinkie was supposed to be less noticeable. After replacing the blinkie 3x (one cacher admitted to dropping it and couldn't find it) - I put an MKH in the same spot. OUT in the open....and easily visible (almost too visible). That MKH has lasted for over a year now....and still going strong.

A very good point but knowing what the size was and circumstances of that previous failure might help design a new size and hide type that is more successful. Don't you think?

I like this. New cachers come in and think a spot is great and don't realize others have tried that area and had to abandon it due to issues. This will alert them of old caches in that area and what happened to them. As long as the notice included links to the full listing I like it!

It would be a neat feature during the new cache submit process to show the archive log(s) of any previous caches that existed in the past within (for example) 50 feet of a newly proposed hide. That way a cacher might be able to determine if a new cache can successfully exist for an extended period in that location.

We all know that certain locations turn out to be more muggle prone or severe weather affected than we count on - be nice to draw on past experiences for a particular spot.

This is a good idea.

Other issues have resulted in archival of caches, such as private property issues, Land Manager issues, etc.

Knowing why an area has a history of archived caches would be helpful to anyone thinking that an area is a good location for cache placement.

B.

A very good point but knowing what the size was and circumstances of that previous failure might help design a new size and hide type that is more successful. Don't you think?

Maybe....for some folks.

Unless you actually found the cache yourself, you don't know what the container actually was, how it was 'dressed', where it was placed, how (or if) it was camoed. Was it a tupperware thrown under a bush? Or was it a fake log with a tupperware inside? Was it a film container under a rock or was it a fake rock?

In most logs - people don't mention exactly what the container was. Other than...DNF's....

Was it a design problem? A camo problem? Was it out in the open? Or was it due to careless cachers not being stealthy? Or...was it from lack of CO maintenance?

I'd rather hide something fresh (from my own ideas) and I will learn from logs how its working. As a CO - I would adjust the container/placement as I go. That's part of the fun....trying things and seeing how they play out. But that's me...

Edited by Lieblweb

Maybe....for some folks.

Unless you actually found the cache yourself, you don't know what the container actually was, how it was 'dressed', where it was placed, how (or if) it was camoed. Was it a tupperware thrown under a bush? Or was it a fake log with a tupperware inside? Was it a film container under a rock or was it a fake rock?

In most logs - people don't mention exactly what the container was. Other than...DNF's....

Was it a design problem? A camo problem? Was it out in the open? Or was it due to careless cachers not being stealthy? Or...was it from lack of CO maintenance?

I'd rather hide something fresh (from my own ideas) and I will learn from logs how its working. As a CO - I would adjust the container/placement as I go. That's part of the fun....trying things and seeing how they play out. But that's me...

But, wouldn't you want to have every possible advantage to make YOUR cache successful where others were not?