The Aphrodite Geocoin

CW88

Anyone that's been following my Facebook Group might have seen some of the small previews I've put up of this coin over the last few months, but now that I've recieved the first samples I wanted to share them here too (however they will need to be redone as they aren't exactly how I wanted them).

This is the 'Aphrodite Geocoin' - a coin I've designed to celebrate my sisters wedding later this year, and as it's a special occasion I wanted it to be quite a nice big coin that could be displayed easily.

So this is my largest coin so far, at 2.5 inches wide, 5mm thick and has a good weight to it (almost 85g). They will be trackable with the tracking information engraved on the edge of the coins - but there will also be some non-trackable versions just for the family that will have the date and location of the wedding engraved on the edge instead.

Satin%20Gold%20small2.jpg

side3.jpg

The coin is named after Aphrodite, the Greek godess of love who's birthplace was believed to have been near Paphos in Cyprus, which is close to where the wedding will be.

And the design is based around the colours, designs and theme of her wedding.

On the back side are my sister and her fiancée's names, the date of the wedding and an inverted 3D Sand Dollar (the main design that has been used on the wedding invitations), though this part needs to be redone as it didn't come out properly.

And on the front is a design mainly based on a Kanga (a large printed cotton garment meaning to close or wrap in Kiswahili, often worn by women and some men in East Africa). This particular design is meant to be a design that is worn for weddings from either from Kenya or Zanzibar. And these Kanga's are going to be used as part of the wedding decorations. The design is also slightly based on Guinea Fowl feathers - something else my sister has used in the wedding invitations, and in earrings she has made for the bridesmaids to wear. In the center of the coin is a blue gem, and all the white sections on this side glow in the dark - also in blue.

glow.jpg

I'm planning on probably getting 200 of these coins - though still need to work out the versions that'll be made. At least 150-175 of those will be trackable with their own icon.

It'll still be a while until these are ready though, but I'm hoping to have them by July in time for the wedding.

It's been a while since I posted an update for these. I've had quite a bit of trouble getting these made, but finally have some good news about them now.

The first samples I got I wasn't that happy with, so wanted to get them redone. The factory I was using said they would redo them, and after a few emails from them saying they would send the updated artwork I didn't hear back from them and they ignored my emails for 3 months. When I did hear back again it was to say they would send the artwork in a few days and I never heard back from them again, meaning these weren't ready in time for my sisters wedding which was very annoying.

I then decided to completely redo them with the factory I now normally use although they cost twice the price to produce, but after getting the new samples yesterday it's definitely worth it and they came out much better than I was even hoping - nice big and heavy with great texture and detail this time.

They measure 2.5 inches wide, 5mm thick, made of stamped bronze and weigh 130g each. They have an inverted 3D sand dollar on one side (which I might use to make another smaller more affordable coin), textured metals, translucent and glow enamels (with part of the small designs printed on) and have the tracking info on the side (there will also be the non trackable versions just for my sister and family). They'll also come in a custom velvet bag too.

So here are the 5 different versions (black nickel, satin silver, shiny silver, satin gold and shiny gold).

Black%20Nickelsmll.jpg

Satin%20Silversmll.jpg

Shiny%20Silversmll.jpg

Satin%20Goldsmll.jpg

Shiny%20Goldsmll.jpg

Trackable%20Sidessmall.jpg

Velvet%20Bagsmall.jpg

I'm hoping to order these soon once I figure out the final numbers, so I can finally give the non trackable ones to my family at Christmas. And hopefully the trackable ones would go on sale a bit before.

Oh, very nice! Where will we be able to get these from?

They will probably be available from my online shop, and there will only be 25 of each version.

I've been a bit late ordering them, so they'll probably only be available from the beginning of January.

These will be going on sale from my webstore this Saturday (11th) at 7pm CET.

The coins will be £20 each (5 versions each limited to 25 of each finish), but not all of them will be up for sale as I'm keeping a few extra copies for my family.

Due to their weight (around 130g with velvet bag) the postage will cost a bit more than usual, starting around £4 or £5 (depending on location) for 1 coin.

These will be going on sale from my webstore this Saturday (11th) at 7pm CET.

The coins will be £20 each (5 versions each limited to 25 of each finish), but not all of them will be up for sale as I'm keeping a few extra copies for my family.

Due to their weight (around 130g with velvet bag) the postage will cost a bit more than usual, starting around £4 or £5 (depending on location) for 1 coin.

Thanks for the update, but these are W A Y beyond our coin budget.

$35 USD for an outdated personal family wedding coin? ... plus $7-$9 per coin min for shipping. WOW

It is definitely one of the largest personal coins I've seen ... but then ... maybe I need to get out more ... :)

Good luck with your sale.

There's just around an hour until these go on sale from my webstore.

And I know this coin is probably a little large/expensive for most people, which is why they were made in quite small numbers and limited to 25 of each version. Here are a few more photos showing the glow in the dark areas and the size (compared to a 1.75 inch coin).

sizesmall.jpg

glowsmll2.jpg

I am starting to work on another coin with the same 3D sand dollar design though. I just need to finish the design on the back, but they will be smaller and more affordable and probably made in slightly larger numbers.

Edited by CW88