Two GPS units, two NuMaps subscriptions

I've been using a Garmin Oregon 550t since the unit was introduced. I also own a Garmin nüMaps Lifetime subscription for the unit. The combination is terrific, and the unit is still going strong. However, the screen is scratched from lots of abuse, and it's becoming harder to read; the body also has a number of dings and scratches. It's looking old. And Garmin seems to be about to start selling a nifty-spiffy new unit called the Oregon 6xx.

I'm starting to get an itch for a new unit, sort of the same urge I get when I've had the same smart phone for several years and they come out with a new nifty-spiffy model. The new one is pretty much always bigger/badder/faster/cooler. Or so they'd have you believe. :P

Anyway, I'm contemplating investing in an Oregon 650 down the line (down the line being when the new unit seems to have reached some sort of stability as reported by all the early adapters I've learned to rely on to Beta-test new gadgets for me...).

I also plan to buy another Garmin nüMaps Lifetime subscription to go with the new unit (each subscription is locked to one specific GPS unit). And herein lies my question.

This will be the first time I've owned two units, both still working. How does one manage two Garmin units and two nüMaps Lifetime subscriptions? Will I need to download map updates twice, once for each unit? Does the Garmin MapInstall program know how to handle two units and two nüMaps Lifetime subscriptions?

--Larry

With luck yes :)

Although experience has taught me nothing is guaranteed with Garmin map and software updates.

In Garmin MapUpdater (not MapInstall) you can select to have the installation files kept on your PC. If you do that when you update the first unit they should be used for the second update, thus saving you the need to download the mapset twice.

Thanks. Is Garmin MapUpdater that thing that runs in the background and periodically checks for and downloads map updates? The thing that was briefly replaced by Garmin Express, which currently only works for automotive units and caused me grief last week?

--Larry

Exactly This:

No, that was Lifetime Updater which Express has replaced ... confusing isn't it! MapUpdater is the original, and still the best in many peoples eyes.

Garmin seems to agree with both of you. When I complained to Garmin about Garmin Express (see my other thread on that topic), the Garmin tech who responded pointed me to Garmin MapUpdater, not Lifetime Updater.

Everybody totally confused now? :D

--Larry

I've pretty much decided to buy one of the new Oregon 650s if and when they're finally released. This inspired me to think more about exactly what I'm going to have to buy to get it the way I want it.

To recap, I already own an Oregon 550t, a City Navigator NA DVD, and a NuMaps Lifetime Updates "contract." The City Navigator NA and NuMaps Lifetime Updates maps are, presumably, tied forever to this unit.

I'll need to buy whatever's required to also have the NuMaps Lifetime Updates arrangement for the new unit. Do I have to also purchase another City Navigator NA DVD? And will I have to actually install the maps from the DVD? I can maybe understand their charging me for another "license" for the DVD maps, but installing them seems redundant.

Anybody know how this works?

--Larry

I'll need to buy whatever's required to also have the NuMaps Lifetime Updates arrangement for the new unit. Do I have to also purchase another City Navigator NA DVD? And will I have to actually install the maps from the DVD? I can maybe understand their charging me for another "license" for the DVD maps, but installing them seems redundant.

Yes, you will need to license and install the CN NA map for the new unit by purchasing the DVD. If you want map updates, they are purchased separately (either one-time updates or lifetime update subscription).

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={16315fb0-39b2-11de-5dd5-000000000000}

Edited by alandb

Yes, you will need to license and install the CN NA map for the new unit by purchasing the DVD. If you want map updates, they are purchased separately (either one-time updates or lifetime update subscription).

https://support.garm...5-000000000000}

Thanks for the information and the link.

Based on the information on the Garmin site, the only way I can get the NuMaps updates for the new unit will be to purchase and install another copy of the DVD version. I'm sort of hoping that doesn't mean there will be two copies of all that map data on my PC. Seems like a monumental waste of hard drive space.

Anybody know whether I'll wind up with redundant map data if I got this route?

--Larry

If you PHONE Garmin, they usually allow you to transfer the map license to the new unit if you are nice....

If you have two licenses, you do not need to download and install again. You will get an unlock code and you can add that into Basecamp under "Maps", "Manage Maps".

If you PHONE Garmin, they usually allow you to transfer the map license to the new unit if you are nice....

For the time being, anyway, I want to maintain two licenses, for both the old and the new unit, so that option won't work for me. I'm thinking about gifting my old unit to my girlfriend once I transition to the 650. Right now, she has a really old, and not very sensitive, unit.

If you have two licenses, you do not need to download and install again. You will get an unlock code and you can add that into Basecamp under "Maps", "Manage Maps".

Thanks, you've probably saved me some installation time. I don't think I can use the download version if I also want the NuMaps Lifetime Updates; I assume I can use the unlock code that comes with the DVD.

So I can just use the unlock code that comes with the DVD to use my already-installed copy with the new unit?

--Larry

The easiest and safest way is to register with Garmin and then all of your unlock codes are stored there. This makes it easy to get through the unlock process as you get a new code with every map, 4 times a year.

It's all coming back to me now. I've been registered with Garmin for a few years now, I just haven't needed to visit my account in quite a while. And this is the first time I've thought about owning two units with two sets of maps.

This does seem to be the easiest way to handle things. Thanks!

--Larry