Earthmate PN-60

I am considering purchasing a different GPS, and was wondering about the Earthmate PN-60. Does anyone on this forum own one and if so what are its pros and cons? I want to use it for geocaching and cycling.

The 60 is only my 2nd gpsr, so I am not any kind of expert. I trust others with more experience will chime in. My first, which spwilldo uses, was the eTrex 10. I've had the 60 about 1 year. I like it for geocaching, and since it has turn-by-turn, for navigating to caches. The battery life seems just fine, as good as the eTrex, it seems. It appears accurate. I think I need to calibrate it, as the electronic compass doesn't behave as it should but I just haven't gotten around to that. The fact that it uses regular SD cards is a plus, in my opinion. And, as new, it came with maps and software to use on a PC. Though cache register no longer works, it is no big deal to move gpx files to it.

I do wish the screen was larger and it can be hard to read in certain light. In my opinion, it can take more button presses to do things than it should but one learns to deal with that.

There is a lot one can say about one unit or another but this is all for now. Overall, I am happy with mine and think it is a fine value.

bp

Definetly recommended.

We got the PN60w so we could use it with the SPOT Communicator. The newer ones have InReach.

It's rugged and dependable. We've only had one issue with it, and that was corrected with a free software upload.

As stated above, check the Delorme forums for advice before and after.

There has been much written in these forums regarding Delorme units......be sure to do a search and read all you find.

I have never had much luck with any search I have attempted on here. I either get way too many, that have nothing to do with what I am looking for our I get nothing.

I like mine a *bit* better than the Garmin I had previously, but there are a couple of things I don't like. One is the plug to usb; it's awful. I have to work with it to get my computer to recognize it. Apparently it's not a problem with my unit--the forums agree that the pins are very sensitive. Number two problem is that the SD card I got for it isn't recognized by the unit. After much reading on the DeLorme forums, it seems that they only "like" certain brands, and folks suggested getting a very high end SD card to solve the issue, but I'm not about to spend $80 on one.

But...the functions and buttons are great, and the unit works very well.

Number two problem is that the SD card I got for it isn't recognized by the unit. After much reading on the DeLorme forums, it seems that they only "like" certain brands, and folks suggested getting a very high end SD card to solve the issue, but I'm not about to spend $80 on one.

But...the functions and buttons are great, and the unit works very well.

SD cards are not an issue with the Delorme PN devices. Many brands of Class 6-Class 10 SDHC cards from 4GB-32GB have worked well for me. Older 1-4GB SD cards should work as well, but there was a time when some manufacturers were doing funny things in the 4GB range. There is no need for the currently available faster "30-90" Mb/s cards for digital cameras, and the really fast cards might have issues of their own with compatibility.

...SD cards are not an issue with the Delorme PN devices....

Roger that, most of the problem reports regarding faulty cards were from those who purchased counterfeit name brand cards, such as Lexmark, on Ebay. Outside of that, I've never had a problem with a name brand, Transcend, card from Fry's including a 32GB SDHC card for $20.

...SD cards are not an issue with the Delorme PN devices....

Roger that, most of the problem reports regarding faulty cards were from those who purchased counterfeit name brand cards, such as Lexmark, on Ebay. Outside of that, I've never had a problem with a name brand, Transcend, card from Fry's including a 32GB SDHC card for $20.

Lexmark cards do not necessarily need to be "counterfeit" to barely meet the Class 10 write requirements of 10Mb/sec. I have one 32GB Lexmark card that was a freebie with a recent camera purchase that tested at 11Mb/sec write speed from the camera buffer.

Lexmark cards do not necessarily need to be "counterfeit" to barely meet the Class 10 write requirements of 10Mb/sec. I have one 32GB Lexmark card that was a freebie with a recent camera purchase that tested at 11Mb/sec write speed from the camera buffer.

What he have here is difference between the operational requirements of an SD card in a handheld GPSr and a camera.

Camera: It's all about write speed and the Class rating is significant as it characterizes the write speed capability of the card.

GPSr: It's all about repetitive read speed out in the field (after a one time write at the PC where time is not usually critical). Note that the Calss rating does not characterize the read speed and the read speed of Class 4 cards are not a limiting factor out in the field.

I've got a Class 4, 16GB card in my smartphone and the videos and songs playback without jerkiness.

It seems like every 2-3 months Topo tells me there is a firmware update for the PN-60 and then I spend hours troubleshooting the GPSr's new issues with its inability to read GPX files.

Nothing makes for a horrible cache day like loading caches into the PN-60, and seeing that it only gave you coords and no other data. Or seeing it gave you everything however when you change batteries all the caches disappear.

The latest issue: I load a GPX file directly to the SD card and the PN-60 converts all the coordinates to somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.

I have had a Delorme PN-40 since they first came out, and a PN-60w that I bought used a few months ago. The maps I use are on several different SD cards and I swap them out depending on where I will be riding. Never have I had an issue with an SD card being incompatible with either unit.

In general I prefer the Delorme maps to Garmin versions, so that's why I put up with the smaller screen. Though the Delorme screens are small I find them easy to read. Main use is on a dirt bike, and so the units are powered off 12 volts and not the internal battery, which keeps the screen nice and bright. And until Garmin came out with the Montana and its Rugged Mount, the 12 volt power cord for the Delorme units was far superior to any of the Garmin offerings. The power cord combined with the RAM mount have survived thousands of miles of very rough roads and trails (and several crashes!)unscathed. These are very durable units!

It seems like every 2-3 months Topo tells me there is a firmware update for the PN-60 and then I spend hours troubleshooting the GPSr's new issues with its inability to read GPX files.

Nothing makes for a horrible cache day like loading caches into the PN-60, and seeing that it only gave you coords and no other data. Or seeing it gave you everything however when you change batteries all the caches disappear.

The latest issue: I load a GPX file directly to the SD card and the PN-60 converts all the coordinates to somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.

And now when it recognizes some of the geocaches in the GPX file it won't show them on the map.

After a quick call to DeLorme's tech support because my frustration finally overcame my bullheadedness, I was directed to the online tech support FAQ and a quick reset in the firmware has fixed all my problems and frustrations.

Wish I'd called them sooner, would have saved me hours of frustration and headaches with the GPSr. Hah.

ID466IMG01.jpg

After a quick call to DeLorme's tech support because my frustration finally overcame my bullheadedness, I was directed to the online tech support FAQ and a quick reset in the firmware has fixed all my problems and frustrations.

Wish I'd called them sooner, would have saved me hours of frustration and headaches with the GPSr. Hah.

ID466IMG01.jpg

Funny how that works, sometimes. :)

I am considering purchasing a different GPS, and was wondering about the Earthmate PN-60. Does anyone on this forum own one and if so what are its pros and cons? I want to use it for geocaching and cycling.

Can you even get them , they are "temporarily out of stock" and have been for months on end. I was wondering if they had gotten out of the business. I was looking for a replacement for my PN 30 and all I see is out of stock, not available.

Can you even get them , they are "temporarily out of stock" and have been for months on end. I was wondering if they had gotten out of the business. I was looking for a replacement for my PN 30 and all I see is out of stock, not available.

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

That price is 100 dollars more than DeLorme's own suggested retail for the same item. That is another reason why I wonder if they have gotten out of the business, are the few remaining units being pedaled at a premium ?

Amazon.com

That price is 100 dollars more than DeLorme's own suggested retail for the same item. That is another reason why I wonder if they have gotten out of the business, are the few remaining units being pedaled at a premium ?

They're back in stock, guess they're having a hard time keeping up with the demand. :)