An all around GPS

Is there a good all around GPS for both automotive use and as a handheld for geocaching? I have found that the Garmin Montana does this, but it is also half a thousand dollars! I would like to not spend that much... Does Magellan or Delorme or someone else make a unit like the Montana, but not quite as expensive?

Is there a good all around GPS for both automotive use and as a handheld for geocaching? I have found that the Garmin Montana does this, but it is also half a thousand dollars! I would like to not spend that much... Does Magellan or Delorme or someone else make a unit like the Montana, but not quite as expensive?

Based on your search parameters, he Montana is it.

No other GPSr like the Montana is produced.

Based on your search parameters, he Montana is it.

No other GPSr like the Montana is produced.

Ok, that is kind of what I was thinking...

Now I have to ask myself if it will be worth it.

Thanks for the reply

Well, Magellan DOES have an eXplorist x610 unit that's GREAT for caching that does NOT come with turn by turn routing out of the box which will allow you a smaller initial investment and the ability to add that later. The turn by turn maps do run an additional $100 BUT every once in a while you'll catch it on sale for half off at $50. The eXplorist x710 does both out of the box and is now down just under the $400 mark and cheaper in some instances. That's the model I have and am absolutely thrilled with it. I make custom maps for areas that I visit such as custom TOPO's, satellite imagery and even terrain layout maps its great.

As far as I know NO Garmin unit includes turn by turn maps directly out of the box, always an additional purchase but I may be wrong on the highest end Garmin. They also are able to accept custom maps from various places and even are pretty good importing OpenStreetMaps data (one source I wish Magellan would support better but they don't). You can still get OSM on Magellan it's just a couple more hoops to jump thru.

There is a great site that supports Magellan at www.magellaninsiders.com if you'd like to read up on some stuff to answer any specific questions you may have.

Hope this helps some

Also looked at at Montanna 650t (which is a unit I've seen in person and would LOVE to have since its stinking HUGE screen and such but with at $600 price tag and NO turn by turn included (purchase city navigator separately...really? That much money and NO turn by turn???) it's a NO deal from me. It really is a beautiful unit and overall great accuracy wise but the price is just too high unless you're REALLY REALLY into it and use it nearly every weekend in my opinion.