Downloading more than 1000 geocaches

Harkonnika

Hello. We are planning a trip to USA and we are looking for a way to download geocaches in a greater area like e.g. a whole state. A Pocket query only allows to download 1000 geocaches at once but we need many more unless we want to do it "per partes". Have you encountered a way to do that? Many thanks.

There used to be a thread in the forum showing how many caches there are in each US state, and while not recalling the exact numbers, there's a lot more than 1000 in each state. The best way I can think of is multiple PQs based on Placed date, along with any additional filters you may wish to use (e.g. no puzzles, no multi's, etc.). Don't select a day to run at first, try to get each one pretty close to, but not over, 1000, and keep adjusting them as needed. Depending on your destination, be prepared to have several PQs generated. Hope this helps, and enjoy your vacation!

Hello. We are planning a trip to USA and we are looking for a way to download geocaches in a greater area like e.g. a whole state. A Pocket query only allows to download 1000 geocaches at once but we need many more unless we want to do it "per partes". Have you encountered a way to do that? Many thanks.

Have you tried using the caches along a route feature?? Still only 1000 at a time but along a specified route. Up to 500 miles for each one. You get 5 PQs per day.

Actually, GSAK can get 10K a day with no logs. But.....what good are caches with no logs?

Are you really going to get an entire state? Best to plan your route and then use the filters in GSAK to get caches in those areas.

Where are you going to put them all....even the newest GPSR's hold only so many

Lots of information on how to get all the caches into a bunch of queries here

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

I don't use GSAK now/yet. But I do group 5 daily caches by placed date. Everybody keeps saying you can get 5000 caches that way. True, but if I understand what is going on, there is a very good chance of a few missed caches per date range unless you make the cutoff 999 caches per PQ. Right? If Groundspeak would have made the cutoff 1001 caches I would trust the 1000 cache per PQ limit they advertise. Am I right?

I don't use GSAK now/yet. But I do group 5 daily caches by placed date. Everybody keeps saying you can get 5000 caches that way. True, but if I understand what is going on, there is a very good chance of a few missed caches per date range unless you make the cutoff 999 caches per PQ. Right? If Groundspeak would have made the cutoff 1001 caches I would trust the 1000 cache per PQ limit they advertise. Am I right?

Ummm, yes/no/maybe. :blink::laughing: Setting a PQ by date includes all caches published in that date range, and it can often be difficult impossible to peg a PQ right at 1000. I run 11 to get all the unfounds in Kansas, and I'm doing pretty good to have each one at around 990 or so. That would not change if the limit were 1001...or any other number if a sufficient number of caches were published on the "next" day. But in theory, each PQ is capped at 1000, and if one was clever enough to filter the database to get exactly 1000 caches for each of 5 PQs, they could download 5 PQs with 5000 caches total per day. Plus whatever GSAK allows via the API.

If that makes sense.

To the OP, which State(s) are you planning to visit? Maybe someone could give you an idea of the total number of caches you may be looking at.

Ah. I run 23 PQs a week. By date hidden. Two sets. One for any unfound caches in New Jersey, One for any caches within 65 miles, not in New Jersey (parts on New York, Pennslyvania and Connecticut. With additional parameters: not hidden by certain cachers. Not in a cemetery. No Where-did-I-gos. &c.

(Do I really need caches 100 miles away in South Jersey? Not really.)

Yes. It took a fair bit of work to get it set up. And I redo it every few months to keep the numbers close to 1000. (So I don't have to add new PQs.) That's where most of where I'll ever go, unless on vacation.

My NJ01 is currently set for 1/1/2000 to 2/20/2007 and has 993 caches.

That does give me 20000 caches, Frtunately, users here have helped me set up GSAK filters to eliminate counties that I will never visit. (Would be nice if Groundspeak would allow me to ignore some counties. Kings, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk and Richmond Counties, New York show up. With the tolls on those bridges/tunnels we'' pass on those caches... But I do have a GSAK filter to eliminate those (would be nice if GS gave me those options...)

I have two different area that I operate from, so two different GSAK filters,

About 4000 caches in Gupy (etrex30) and Miss Bossy (nuvi) per week. Anything I might go for this weekend. Or that weekend.

Hi guys. We will travel through California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada. We want only traditional caches but there are so many of them. We hoped that there is a simpler solution to download the caches than setting up so many PQs. It's too much time consuming for large areas. We hoped we can use GSAK's Get Caches feature but it can handle only a small area for us. We were hoping that we could find some macro which will download much larger area for us. It would be no problem for us that there is a limit of 6000 per day. We just wanted to get those caches in an easier way. Currently we see the only option to set up all those PQs, sadly. :-(

Hi guys. We will travel through California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada. We want only traditional caches but there are so many of them. We hoped that there is a simpler solution to download the caches than setting up so many PQs. It's too much time consuming for large areas. We hoped we can use GSAK's Get Caches feature but it can handle only a small area for us. We were hoping that we could find some macro which will download much larger area for us. It would be no problem for us that there is a limit of 6000 per day. We just wanted to get those caches in an easier way. Currently we see the only option to set up all those PQs, sadly. :-(

Try GSAK's GetCachesOnRoute You can edit the boxes to include or exclude areas that may, or may not, be of interest...

Hi guys. We will travel through California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada. We want only traditional caches but there are so many of them....Currently we see the only option to set up all those PQs, sadly

Umm, yeah. Wow! Using The A-Team's link in Post 9, I see about 188,000 (+/- a few) in those 4 states. Getting a workable list of caches is going to take some homework, but it shouldn't be too hard. We would also suggest building your GSAK database with the Cache-Along-A-Route PQ generator. You might also want to check for Public Bookmark Lists that you could run a PQ against (esp. the ET Highway Power Trail, Alien Head, etc.). The good news is, once you get them into GSAK, you can use the Refresh Cache Data feature to keep the database current without re-running all the PQs...but it's gonna take quiet a few PQs to get started. Good luck, and hope you enjoy your journeys!

I would spend time selecting the caches I wanted for find in areas I was planning to be. Make a list of things you want to see and plan your general route. This can include caches, tourist attractions, relatives you want to visit. Then preview areas on the map and select caches you think you would enjoy. Once you have must sees, look for nearby caches. Create bookmarks. In areas where there are lots of caches being selective can really help.

What will you do with files for 10000 caches? A Garmin GPSr can't hold that many at once. Or are you using an App?

I drove through Oregon last year, stopped at Hotspots such as McDonalds, and used wifi at each hotel, and got a PQ for that place -- and for the next city. I had also loaded a couple of notable caches between cities. That was quite a process, and I wasn't particularly successful at it :anicute:, but it's a plan.