How do I delete a batch of waypoints

KeithH

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx and an iMAC. Is there any way to delete a whole bunch of waypoints off the Etrex. I've installed BaseCamp on the MAC but I can't see where/how to delete stuff en-block. Is there some other software that I should be using?

Edited by KeithH

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx and an iMAC. Is there any way to delete a whole bunch of waypoints off the Etrex. I've installed BaseCamp on the MAC but I can't see where/how to delete stuff en-block. Is there some other software that I should be using?

Hello There,

How can I delete a lot of waypoints at once?

Press find > waypoints > menu > delete...This will let you delete all waypoints or waypoints of any given icon of your choosing.

After a Google search for "Garmin Etrex Vista HCx delete all waypoints" the above was taken from here.

Regards Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for responding so quickly. When I press Find then Waypoints it brings up a screen that lets you enter a waypoint name (showing the alphabet matrix at the bottom of the screen). i.e. it doesn't offer a delete option

Have I configured my etrex incorrectly somewhere

Keith

Edited by KeithH

I see now that I can delete blocks with nominated icons but I only have one icon type. I am organising a walk for folk with Parkinsons and to add a bit of interest I thought I would introduce them to Geocaching. I have downloaded details of 6 caches and what I want to do is to clear out all the caches on the Etrex except for the 6 new ones. The problem now is that everything has the same icon, including the new ones

Basecamp will handle this task easily.

Attach your GPS to the computer and start basecamp

Under your listed GPS there should be a folder with your waypoints in it

You can do this two ways,

Delete the waypoints from the internal storage folder

Or

Creat a new library folder and transfer the waypoints you want to keep to that new folder

Delete the waypoints in mass from the GPS and re-transfer only the waypoints from your new folder to the GPS

I think that should do it. This is from memory so please forgive if I advised you incorrectly.

Or

Creat a new library folder and transfer the waypoints you want to keep to that new folder

Delete the waypoints in mass from the GPS and re-transfer only the waypoints from your new folder to the GPS

I think that should do it. This is from memory so please forgive if I advised you incorrectly.

Did the old etrex Vista's work that way?

I didn't think they had a mass storage mode.

Edited by BMW JEDI

Or

That's how I ever did it. Generally, backup the device to BaseCamp for Macintosh, clear the GPSr, then send a fresh load. Worked with all 4 eTrex Vista HCx units I had.

Did the old etrex Vista's work that way?

I didn't think they had a mass storage mode.

The old eTrex Vista's didn't work with BaseCamp for Macintosh as they were serial, the Vista HCx the OP has uses USB and works with BaseCamp. As far as Mass Storage Mode, see page 38 of your Vista HCx manual. You do not use this mode to access the internal memory where the waypoints are stored, it's used to access the archived tracks saved to the datacard among other tasks. Edited by coggins
The old eTrex Vista's didn't work with BaseCamp for Macintosh as their were serial, the Vista HCx the OP has uses USB and works with BaseCamp. As far as Mass Storage Mode, see page 38 of your Vista HCx manual. You do not use this mode to access the internal memory where the waypoints are stored, it's used to access the archived tracks saved to the datacard among other tasks.

Thank You for the clarification. That information will be helpful. :)