Cache Pirates Take Note!

JeffK627

Today I went to a cache location (not one of my caches) and when I reached GZ I found no cache, but a plastic card that said, "CACHE PIRATES CLEANING UP THE CRAP". The card also had an image of a film canister with a red circle and slash over it. There was a toy left there too, which I think may have been part of the original cache. I can't believe that there are jerks like this around, but since there are -

I want to put these idiots on notice: I'm going to start carrying some bisons and log sheets, and anywhere that I find one of these cards, I will replace the cache and destroy your card. If I see you removing - actually, stealing - a cache I will do my best to get photographs of you and your vehicle, including the license plate, and "out" you in any way possible.

Let me make this clear: you are not the judges of which caches are worthy to exist. You are not "better" than other cachers in any way. You are a bunch of losers and I will thwart you in any way that I can. I hope that others will join me in the effort to shut you down.

Here is a sample of these morons' handiwork:

aa9a7e43-608a-4655-8a0a-e346d2e2bcda.jpg

JeffK627, your intentions are good however I think you just rewarded the people who did this by giving them the knee jerk reaction they so desire. In this case, the cache pirate actually put a lot of effort into it by printing up cards. It also seems the cache pirate doesn't really care about garbage as he (or she) left "garbage" behind themselves.

Well, if the other side of the card is blank, geocachers can just sign the back of the card as a find.

I personally would never recognize such an act on a log on gc, I would just email the CO in private. The idea of temporarily placing a bison tube is a good idea.

We had one around the Phoenix area a couple of years running.

I haven't noticed any mention of them in the last year or so.

They used an orange sticker reading:

Geotrash at this location has been removed and destroyed.

Have a nice day

Or something like that. I believer there were at least two variations.

Apparently they realized the numbers-cachers could put out crap caches faster than they could steal them, so they gave up. :lol:

Wow, that really sucks. I can't imagine that their attention spans will last long enough to mess with all of the micros around.

Do..do you have leopard paw gloves???

No, those are my actual hands. :P Actually, the gloves belong to my wife. And yeah, I know I fed the trolls - this one just got me really steamed.

Does everyone. I caught one years ago myself.

Like weeds, don't feed 'em.

Cache Pirates, that's an old school term. I found a cache pirates card at a cache owned by the once famous forum poster Mopar in 2003. I guess I can mention that almost 10 years later, and not feed them. :laughing:

That brings up a good point though, that is a serious old-time term. The could be someone who has been around caching a long time. Or I could be totally off, as I've been known to be on occasion.

Dude, no offense, and please forgive me if this is a huge coincidence. But this seems a little fishy on the surface. Four days ago you bumped a thread started by some guy who had some caches stolen in 2009 or so, an incident I'm familiar with as I live about 60 miles away, and said, paraphrasing, "Watch out if I ever catch anyone stealing caches". Then 4 days later, you happen to find someone stealing caches? :unsure:

EDIT: Not that I think you are stealing caches, but rather have a "caches worthy to exist" agenda. From a "fishy on the surface" point of view, I mean. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

A film can with a line through it? It sounds like a veteran geocacher who doesn't like micros, as there hasn't been too much anti-micro angst in several years. Its also rather sad that a new cacher managed to run into it only after joining a month or so ago.

I wouldn't post too much about it, but would set up a few game cameras in the area.

I see now that JeffK627 and JMKalmar are a couple with seperate accounts. Come clean, you two. You know, have recently met, corresponded with via email, or by whatever means, found out that Jasper Joe had 5 or 6 caches stolen in Warsaw 3 or so years ago. It remains "awful fishy" that JeffK bumped an old thread by Jasper Joe stating Joe had a few caches stolen, and JeffK just happens to find a Jasper Joe cache stolen 4 days later. :o

I think you need to let go the fact someone once stole caches they perceive as lame in the past, and may be doing it now (something I'm afraid I'm not convinced of), rather than go on a crusade about it a month into your Geocaching career.

The universally agreed on procedure in the cases of cache thefts (very few of which are perpetrated by crazed anti-lame micro zealots, by the way) is to ignore the thief, and not give them any publicity. That being said, this is the cache where you two have posted 5 photo's of the cache pirate sign, and posted notes ranting against people stealing caches they perceive as lame. Those notes and their attached photos should be deleted from the cache page.

I am not sure what is "fishy" about being upset that we were out caching and came upon this crap.

I did post photos on the cache, it should be retired since it's not there anymore. I have e-mailed the CO privately about the issue.

I would much rather create new caches so people can continue to enjoy the activities.

not sure what you point is Mr Yuck.

I am not sure what is "fishy" about being upset that we were out caching and came upon this crap.

I did post photos on the cache, it should be retired since it's not there anymore. I have e-mailed the CO privately about the issue.

I would much rather create new caches so people can continue to enjoy the activities.

The "fishy part" is JeffK bumping an old Jasper Joe thread several days ago saying, for the most part, "I better not catch anyone stealing caches", and now you guys stumble on someone stealing one of his caches yesterday?

JeffK appeared to have the same "I can't believe people steal caches they perceive as lame" agenda in that thread. You two really appear to me to be on a crusade against that. I'd say just forget about it, and enjoy caching.

I see now that JeffK627 and JMKalmar are a couple with seperate accounts. Come clean, you two.

I don't think that was in any way a secret, but since you find it so sinister, yes, I'm Jeff and jmkalmar is my wife Jill. Pleased to meet you.

You know, have recently met, corresponded with via email, or by whatever means, found out that Jasper Joe had 5 or 6 caches stolen in Warsaw 3 or so years ago. It remains "awful fishy" that JeffK bumped an old thread by Jasper Joe stating Joe had a few caches stolen, and JeffK just happens to find a Jasper Joe cache stolen 4 days later. :o

Never met Jasper Joe, but I'd like to. His were among the first caches we found when we started geocaching and we enjoyed them. After trying several times to locate one of his and not finding it, I checked the forum for hints and found the thread where he mentioned cache thieves stealing his caches. Then while out caching yesterday, we saw that another of his caches was nearby, went to look for it, and found the card in the photo in my OP. It ticked me off so I posted about it.

I think you need to let go the fact someone once stole caches they perceive as lame in the past, and may be doing it now (something I'm afraid I'm not convinced of), rather than go on a crusade about it a month into your Geocaching career.

The universally agreed on procedure in the cases of cache thefts (very few of which are perpetrated by crazed anti-lame micro zealots, by the way) is to ignore the thief, and not give them any publicity. That being said, this is the cache where you two have posted 5 photo's of the cache pirate sign, and posted notes ranting against people stealing caches they perceive as lame. Those notes and their attached photos should be deleted from the cache page.

As I said, when I found that card, the arrogance of the person/people who left it made me see red. If calling attention to these idiots is against protocol, I'll refrain from doing so in the future.

As for the rest of your response, there's nothing "fishy" about any of this, just us getting angry at someone's childish and imbecilic behavior. We're not in cahoots with Jasper Joe, nor were we involved in Kennedy's assassination or 9/11. Chill out.

It's entirely possible that someone has been harassing Jasper Joe for several years, but no locals have posted about it because they didn't want to give the thief any attention. These two join and happen to stumble upon it.

It's also possible that they are a pair of socks created entirely to give attention to the matter, either by the thief, or by Jasper Joe himself. :huh:

It's also entirely possible that they were responsible for either hypnotizing Oswald with MK Ultra drugs and are in their 80s, or were the FBI agents who were assigned to monitor the 911 hijackers, and did not know that flight 77 had been substituted for canceled flight 60..

But I'd say it was the first scenario.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I don't think that was in any way a secret, but since you find it so sinister, yes, I'm Jeff and jmkalmar is my wife Jill. Pleased to meet you.

Definite misundertanding there. Never meant to imply anything sinister was going on! Just that the two of you were out together and posting about the same incident, and I didn't notice the first few times I read the thread. Oh, Jim, and likewise. I did welcome you to caching in the Jasper Joe thread, but I don't think you responded there again.

Never met Jasper Joe, but I'd like to. His were among the first caches we found when we started geocaching and we enjoyed them. After trying several times to locate one of his and not finding it, I checked the forum for hints and found the thread where he mentioned cache thieves stealing his caches. Then while out caching yesterday, we saw that another of his caches was nearby, went to look for it, and found the card in the photo in my OP. It ticked me off so I posted about it.

Send him an email and try to get together. Doesn't look like he caches much any more though. In my first post to this thread, I said something along the lines of "forgive me if this is a huge coincedence". So there's my answer it is! My bad, please accept my apology. But c'mon now, wouldn't a conspiracy be more fun? :lol:

One thing I know I did get right, we really shouldn't give cache thieves publicity. And I do stand by an earlier statement that very few cache thefts are perpetrated by crazed anti-lame micro zealots. Don't let it get you down.

It's entirely possible that someone has been harassing Jasper Joe for several years, but no locals have posted about it because they didn't want to give the thief any attention. These two join and happen to stumble upon it.

It's also possible that they are a pair of socks created entirely to give attention to the matter, either by the thief, or by Jasper Joe himself. :huh:

It's also entirely possible that they were responsible for either hypnotizing Oswald with MK Ultra drugs and are in their 80s, or were the FBI agents who were assigned to monitor the 911 hijackers, and did not know that flight 77 had been substituted for canceled flight 60..

But I'd say it was the first scenario.

Thank you for your usual humorous response. It actually does make me feel better, and like less of an obnoxious conspiracy kook. :blink:

Personally, I hadn't heard of anyone stealing his caches, other than in one Village, in at least 3 years.

That sounds like something someone who didn't like the cache would say. Other people would have said replaced... :ph34r:

I'm just saying is all

That sounds like something someone who didn't like the cache would say. Other people would have said replaced... :ph34r:

I'm just saying is all

It also sounds like something someone who has been caching for only a month might say. And I could understand this mistake.

I'm just saying is all

We have run across a few, and let our emotional response to them get the better of us. As you will see above, I have change my listing post, and really want to stay positive about geocaching. We do not have the items to replace caches yet, but will in the future.

I am sure there will be many caches that are not my favorite, or I will dislike something about it, but that is my opinion, and completely different than finding a blatant stolen one.

We do not have the items to replace caches yet, but will in the future.

You're not expected to replace other Cache Owners' cache containers. Make a no-drama log, something like “Did not find container, items seen nearby”, and send the Cache Owner the fine details. The CO can decide when or if to replace the container.

We do not have the items to replace caches yet, but will in the future.

You're not expected to replace other Cache Owners' cache containers. Make a no-drama log, something like “Did not find container, items seen nearby”, and send the Cache Owner the fine details. The CO can decide when or if to replace the container.

thanks, good advice, and much appreciated.

I'm just saying is all

It also sounds like something someone who has been caching for only a month might say. And I could understand this mistake.

I know, but the conspiracy theorist in me had to say that ... :laughing:

Today I went to a cache location (not one of my caches) and when I reached GZ I found no cache, but a plastic card that said, "CACHE PIRATES CLEANING UP THE CRAP". The card also had an image of a film canister with a red circle and slash over it. There was a toy left there too, which I think may have been part of the original cache. I can't believe that there are jerks like this around, but since there are -

I want to put these idiots on notice: I'm going to start carrying some bisons and log sheets, and anywhere that I find one of these cards, I will replace the cache and destroy your card. If I see you removing - actually, stealing - a cache I will do my best to get photographs of you and your vehicle, including the license plate, and "out" you in any way possible.

Let me make this clear: you are not the judges of which caches are worthy to exist. You are not "better" than other cachers in any way. You are a bunch of losers and I will thwart you in any way that I can. I hope that others will join me in the effort to shut you down.

Here is a sample of these morons' handiwork:

aa9a7e43-608a-4655-8a0a-e346d2e2bcda.jpg

yet they leave a plastic toiy and garbage behind haha

I'm just saying is all

The CO doesn't seem to be caching any longer. The cache is missing. It is perfectly accurate statement. Plus he noted that he is trying to contact the CO for guidance. I think that you need to cut the new guy some slack here.

Besides, how do you dislike a cache that you've never found?

I'm just saying is all

Aha - the plot thickens! We have several fine detectives at work!

What I find odd about all this is that, if the cache really was a film canister, it couldn't have contained that big purple toy.

I guess that's an odd thing to find odd, though... :yikes:

I thought that too, at first. But the gallery shows that the purple squishy toy is the outer container. The film can was inside.

What I find odd about all this is that, if the cache really was a film canister, it couldn't have contained that big purple toy.

I guess that's an odd thing to find odd, though... :yikes:

I thought that too, at first. But the gallery shows that the purple squishy toy is the outer container. The film can was inside.

there was nothing in the toy, it was a solid toy, we checked. It's a dead issue, they have been archived by the CO and that is probably for the best considering everything. It's a shame though, since I really enjoyed this particular CO hides. C'est la vie. B)