geo coin help

brianrminton

So I found a geo coin and have had no luck looking up any info. It has a pic of the state of Oregon on one side with a flag near Portland and GC1 by it. Also has 1411 stamped on the top with birthplace of Geocaching. The flip side has the ground speak logo with 2004. I was trying to log it so I can take it to a new cache but none of the numbers work. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

So I found a geo coin and have had no luck looking up any info. It has a pic of the state of Oregon on one side with a flag near Portland and GC1 by it. Also has 1411 stamped on the top with birthplace of Geocaching. The flip side has the ground speak logo with 2004. I was trying to log it so I can take it to a new cache but none of the numbers work. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

You don't have any finds logged, so I'll ask the GC code of the cache you found the coin.

If it's a trackable coin, one hopes that it was in the inventory of the cache.

You need to log a find on the cache, then retrieve the coin from it. Then it will appear in your inventory.

Maybe this article might help:

How to use a Geocoin

http://www.geocaching.com/track/howtogeocoin.aspx

B.

In order for it to be a trackable geocoin, it needs to meet the following requirements:

First... it needs to say "Trackable at geocaching.com" or "Trackable at Groundspeak.com";

Second... the tracking number will be alphanumeric in nature (not just numbers), usually six digits although it could have seven. It is also possible that it contains no number digits whatsoever.

Does the 'coin look like this one?

27ab6e7e-2c77-4976-819c-3609a8f07227.jpg

62f697d8-b100-47d9-97b4-165aa38fd9ba.jpg

This is a non-trackable geocoin. They can be made trackable by use of a Travel Bug dogtag. If it has one with it, use that alphanumeric number. The geocoin noted above was sent out EXACTLY that way, as a Travel Bug (notice the TB icon) in this link: http://www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?k=Oregon%202004

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Given to you... as in "gifted"?

If so, it is yours to keep. Many collect geocoins -- careful, as it can become addicting.

There are many types of collectable coins that are not trackable. Military; other services (police, fire, even family); "geo-coins"; State, Provincial, National, Significant Event and other types of "regional" coins are some examples.

EDIT TO ADD: The number is probably a sequential serial number of a series.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee