"Intercaches"

wuliwup

I tried to play with intercache on my Galaxy S4 and got nowhere.

On the one occasion the site actually let me log in (it nearly always says the password is incorrect), I was unable to get an internet connection. This was outside in my road not deep in the words etc.

I think I'll stick with Wherigos (the icon is so much nicer than a boring question mark as well B) )

M

I tried to play with intercache on my Galaxy S4 and got nowhere.

On the one occasion the site actually let me log in (it nearly always says the password is incorrect), I was unable to get an internet connection. This was outside in my road not deep in the words etc.

I think I'll stick with Wherigos (the icon is so much nicer than a boring question mark as well B) )

What site are you going to? intercache.appspot.com or intercaching.com?

The first one is no longer supported, but I can see people occasionally have gone to it. I'd take it down, but I'm not sure if anybody has deployed caches with it or not.

I haven't heard of any login problems, which makes me think you might be using the first one.

The only times I've had a problem with internet connections is when I truly didn't have a good signal. That is a negative about the intercache vs Wherigo.

I REALLY like the idea of this. I had some time today to check out intercache for the first time. While I don't live anywhere near one that I know of, I played around with the intercache builder for a bit and love the user friendliness. I've created a few wherigos and played tons of em. While I wouldn't like to see intercache replace Wherigo, I do believe it's an excellent addition to geocaching and look forward to creating one for my next cache placement. Thanks ChileHead for creating this program, I can't wait to put one together for new jersey.

I REALLY like the idea of this. I had some time today to check out intercache for the first time. While I don't live anywhere near one that I know of, I played around with the intercache builder for a bit and love the user friendliness. I've created a few wherigos and played tons of em. While I wouldn't like to see intercache replace Wherigo, I do believe it's an excellent addition to geocaching and look forward to creating one for my next cache placement. Thanks ChileHead for creating this program, I can't wait to put one together for new jersey.

There's a fairly new intercache in my area. I haven't tried it yet but I've been considering doing an elaborate multi and am now thinking I might do it as an intercache instead.

There's a new version I'll be releasing in the next day or two that adds a lot more capabilities. Mostly around adding logic, creating inventory and items, constraints etc... So you'll be able to make locations visible only if you have picked up an item elsewhere.

For example, you can create a green key at some location, then when you are at the green door without the key you can't get past it. But if you have the key a location "behind the green door" is visible and navigable.

By the way the version I'm testing now is at:

http://www.intercaching.com/test

This has most of the new features I plan on releasing soon, I just need a bit more time to test.

The intent is still to have all the waypoints for the cache created while you are walking in the field with your phone, and then finish up with the textual descriptions, images, connections, constraints, etc ... all on your desktop. The site is primarily still a mobile optimized site.

There is a google maps view of the locations and their relationships, and I'll be adding more features there for editing location details.

There's a new version I'll be releasing in the next day or two that adds a lot more capabilities. Mostly around adding logic, creating inventory and items, constraints etc... So you'll be able to make locations visible only if you have picked up an item elsewhere.

For example, you can create a green key at some location, then when you are at the green door without the key you can't get past it. But if you have the key a location "behind the green door" is visible and navigable.

Out of curiosity, can you factor in elevation when creating a location. The idea that I have in mind would include a location which requires climbing stairs up 9 floors to reach one of the stages.

Out of curiosity, can you factor in elevation when creating a location. The idea that I have in mind would include a location which requires climbing stairs up 9 floors to reach one of the stages.

That would be cool, and altitude is in the API I'm using, but I don't think it is widely supported. It didn't report my altitude on my Galaxy S4. I'll try with my wife's iPhone to see if it works there. A native application could certainly get to this value though.

By the way the version I'm testing now is at:

http://www.intercaching.com/test'>http://www.intercaching.com/test

This has most of the new features I plan on releasing soon, I just need a bit more time to test.

This has now been moved from test to the main site: http://www.intercaching.com

I plan on making a demo available, a "play anywhere" so to speak, that will show off all the different features that can be done.

This works great on all the different Android phones, but iOS seems to be finicky sometimes (at least on an iPhone4) to get accurate coordinates from the device. I find turning wifi off on an iOS device helps for some reason, but I don't know why.

I saw a case yesterday where an iOS user opened the intercache link from within the gc.com app, and it opened the web page from within the app itself. It mostly worked, but I think I may have been fighting for GPS readings from the gc.com device, I'm not sure. So be sure to open up the intercaches in Safari and not in the gc.com app.

I was brought to this thread after posting a new thread asking for advice on how to create and possibly implement a daytime "night cache" style of cache using augmented reality. Post can be seen here -Augmented Reality. Not sure this intercache idea is what i am looking for but curious to know if augmented reality could ever be built into this style of play?

Probably not quite what you are looking for. Augmented reality would allow you to use your camera in the real world to get meta data to display as you scan it around. This would be unlikely to be incorporated into the intercaching app, at least not anytime soon.

What you can do is navigate your players to a particular location and when they are there, navigate them to another one either automatically or after they answer a question about the area.

A new version has been deployed to http://www.intercaching.com, mostly to move to a new hosting site.

The new version does allow you to navigate using a map view (instead of compass.) In some cases, that makes more sense especially in urban areas. You still need to return to the "main" compass screen in order to continue, but I'll duplicate functionality onto the map screen eventually.

Edited by ChileHead

This is still on topic but going sideways. How do I find any live Intercaches near me? I know of one that went live but only just heard about it and someone told me that so far maybe 60 that have been made.

Eventually I'll have the list that shows up in the main page sorted by distance from your current location. That's not in place yet.

This is still on topic but going sideways. How do I find any live Intercaches near me? I know of one that went live but only just heard about it and someone told me that so far maybe 60 that have been made.

Eventually I'll have the list that shows up in the main page sorted by distance from your current location. That's not in place yet.

Thank you

I see that the current release supports time restrictions.

At the risk of asking a silly question - what reference is used to decide the time at the player's location?

If it's local to the player i.e. from their device, that might be good - but if it's a static server somewhere in another geographical time zone - that might be less good.

It's probably a silly question - I know - but I had to ask :)

At the risk of asking a silly question - what reference is used to decide the time at the player's location?

If it's local to the player i.e. from their device, that might be good - but if it's a static server somewhere in another geographical time zone - that might be less good.

The current release doesn't yet support time restrictions ... it will, if I ever have a handful of hours to finish it!

The time will be server time, not device time. This is done to prevent people from changing their device's time to access locations outside the intercache owner's desires.

However, when the intercache is set up the time restriction is specified with a specific time zone. So if I'm developing one for the Eastern US, I'll specify the time as well as the time zone (EST-05:00), and if developing one for the Western US, I'd specify a time zone of (PST-05:00).

The current release doesn't yet support time restrictions ... it will, if I ever have a handful of hours to finish it!

Oh - just that when I read Intercache availability times. You can specify the times at which the cache will be available. This can be used to restrict the time to match a park's operating hours, or used to create an innovative night cache. Times specified are in GMT, so adjust for your timezone appropriately. I thought time restrictions were supported.

I would like to try to make an Intercache. I want to enter the coördinates at home because it used to be a multi-cache and I already measured the coördinates. But it looks like I cannot change the coördinates of 'start'. Am I missing something or does this really have to vbe created in the field?

Which tool would you recommend to create a Wherigo?

Wherigo Kit is a simple way to get started.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=302928

The Kit may be fine for what you want to do. And you can work your way through it, and save the file and import it in one of the more robust builders, if you want to have actions not part of the Kit.

I think going through Wherigo Kiti helps a great deal in using the other builders.

I did an Intercache (Arboretum Amble) the other day. My comments are based on limited experience, and the features I mention below may already exist.

It appeared to me that the answer verification was limited to exact matches. I had a question, and it was looking for a single word answer. But, I didn't know that, and spent a lot of time trying two words, or whole sentence answers. Every answer I gave did contain the word being looked for.

It would be nice is answers could be matched against regular expressions.

Also, it would be nice if it had continue capability. I started the cache, but ran out of daylight. When I came back a few weeks later, I had to start from the beginning.

Back to the OP's questions, I have also done a Wherigo. I don't see one replacing the other, they both have interesting points in their favor.