Sound on a cache page

goldfinch180

I'm interested in hiding a bird song related puzzle cache, and need some way to either make Mp3s available for download on the cache page, or be able to play the songs on the page itself. Any way of doing this?

You won't be able to have them play from the cache listing itself. There's no way to embed the MP3s into the page.

What you'll have to do is upload them to another website somewhere, then link to them in your cache description as you would with a webpage.

Thank god that is disallowed!

I don't think they were planning on having them play automatically, which is what I assume you're referring to. I think they just wanted them all available in the listing where the user can then play each one at their leisure. Having a bunch of different audio files all start playing at the same time doesn't sound like it would work with the OP's puzzle, so I wouldn't think they would even consider that.

This used to be allowed and as a result many cache pages would play music that had absolutely nothing to do with the actual cache. Some of it was very obnoxious. Because of this, the attitude of long time cachers and forum regulars can be a bit abrasive towards the idea. This topic always brings up some very strong opinions, almost exclusively against it.

I have seen many puzzles that have either video or sound clues uploaded on Youtube and linked in the cache description. This would probably be the best way to go about setting up your puzzle cache page.

Regardless of where you decide to upload them, it is very important that we do not have to create an account at that website in order to access them. This is not allowed per the guidelines. Youtube works because anyone can access the content without having to create an account or profile.

Good luck with your puzzle...

Edited by Don_J

This topic always brings up some very strong opinions, almost exclusively against it.

Whatever I'm doing on the interweb, whenever I encounter music/sound that plays unexpectedly (keyword), I immediately close that tab and never visit the site again.

OTOH, when I click on a YouTube video, I do expect to get some noise.

That being said, I would probably enjoy a puzzle based on bird-call recognition. :)