Add feature to find duplicate finds

the Seagnoid

While I appreciate that there is sometimes a need to have a duplicate find on a cache, for many of us there is no valid reason - except an accident. For instance I am trying to help a cacher that has 999 finds, of which 8 are duplicates. And the only way I can find them is to troll through all 999 logs, copy each cache name or ID to another file, then sort it. EXTREMELY laborious.

Could Groundspeak have a place to find duplicates (eg a "find duplicates" link on the statistic page where it says where it says "You've found xxx caches (xxy distinct)". This would list caches for which I have duplicates finds, and preferably provide links to the logs themselves. Also useful would be a "You have already logged a found on this cache" warning at the cache log creation page.

Hopefully this will keep happy those who feel a need to record multiple finds, and also help those for who multiple finds counts are anathema.

This is a very hotly contested topic over the years - something needs to be done in this area.

The Seagnoid

While I appreciate that there is sometimes a need to have a duplicate find on a cache, for many of us there is no valid reason - except an accident. For instance I am trying to help a cacher that has 999 finds, of which 8 are duplicates. And the only way I can find them is to troll through all 999 logs, copy each cache name or ID to another file, then sort it. EXTREMELY laborious.

This has come up a lot in the forums, and if your friend is a Premium Member, there's been a time-saving exercise posted numerous times.

The latest thread can be found here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=308514

Right, It was a double log but I was having problems figuring out which of the 1140 caches it was.

The way I finally did it was to do a MY FINDS Pocket Quiry in Geocaching.com.

Then in GSAK I added a column to the database that shows finds. It's called the Fcount column. (View/ Add/Remove Columns and then check "Foound Count"). The column returns a 0 for unfound caches, a 1 for single logs and YES a 2 for caches you have double logged.

I then simply imported the My Finds gpx file into GSAK and clicked on the new column and the double entry came right to the top.

Could Groundspeak have a place to find duplicates (eg a "find duplicates" link on the statistic page where it says where it says "You've found xxx caches (xxy distinct)". This would list caches for which I have duplicates finds, and preferably provide links to the logs themselves. Also useful would be a "You have already logged a found on this cache" warning at the cache log creation page.

Hopefully this will keep happy those who feel a need to record multiple finds, and also help those for who multiple finds counts are anathema.

This is a very hotly contested topic over the years - something needs to be done in this area.

The Seagnoid

For what it's worth, there's already a feature suggestion posted here in this forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=307932

B.