Couple of newbie questions, sorry! :)

Hey! So I just unpacked my eTrex 30 since it was delivered very late and now its nearly 11pm and I still did not pack for my Scotland WIld camping trip tomorrow. So hopefully some of you can help me out with these issues.

First off, I updated the software and then installed the TalkyToaster "New 'OS 1:50K Look and Feel' British Isles Map with Contours" Map. I followed the information on their side, renamed the downloaded British Isle Map to "GMAPSUPP.IMG" and copied it to the etrex 30. There was no file to overwrite though? I then disabled the two standard maps in the system so only the new British Isle map is on "enabled"

- When I click on "Map", it would always show me "Garmin USA" in the states. How can I tell the device to switch the map to my current position instead of "Garmin USA" ?

- Even with all Satellite Settings active, I only pick up 2 of them from London. That should be more I guess?

- How can I change the date as it shows me January 25h, 2013 when I click on "Sun and Moon"

I downloaded some GPX Files from walkhighlands.co.uk and will see tomorrow in Edinburgh if the "Route" setting works, but now I am a bit confused about the fact that it shows me the states instead of London where my current GPS location should be.

Thanks guys!!

Cheers

Chris

Try letting it sit outside in the open for 30 minutes and see if that updates your position and correct the date (as it will do when it picks up enough satellites). You probably will have to set your time zone manually but not the date.

As far as the maps, I would recommend using MapSource or Basecamp to load your maps that way.

Try letting it sit outside in the open for 30 minutes and see if that updates your position and correct the date (as it will do when it picks up enough satellites). You probably will have to set your time zone manually but not the date.

As far as the maps, I would recommend using MapSource or Basecamp to load your maps that way.

Good thought. Long distance does require a re-sync/update.

I dont want it to show my anyhing in the states at all!! :D I will try again later today outdoors, have to catch my flight now.

Thx guys, i hope it was just becasue i was sitting in my room and only waited about 30 seconds until I turned it off again.

Cheers

CHris

When you turn it on it will show the position it last registered, which most of the time will be in the US or the Far East or somewhere. Wherever it is, it won't be where you currently are.

To update it you'll need to give it a good chance to get a satellite lock. As a rule if you don't use it for a couple of weeks, or you turn it off and then move more than 600 miles or so before turning it back on again, you'll need to give it a little while to figure where it is.

Any time you turn it off and then go somewhere else, when you turn it back on again it will show the position it was in when you turned it off. Depending on how fast it gets a satellite signal it may show the correct position as soon as it boots up (if I load a new pocket query file into my Montana by the time it's loaded the query it has usually got a satellite lock); if nothing has changed and it can just fire straight up you'll see where you were and then shortly afterwards it will update the map to show where you currently are.

Just to add to the satellite fix time; last October we flew from Winnipeg-Toronto-Montreal-Franfurt-Budapest. I use an Oregon550 loaded with at least 10 maps (including UK Talkie Toaster) on the micro sd card. While enroute I turned on the O550 every hour or so until it got a fix. When we finally arrived in Budapest the unit was fine and located our hotel instantly (preloaded gpx file). The maps from OpenStreepMaps were excellent and we used the unit to find a restaurant in Oldtown Prague in the dark - that's faith in technology.

hm it got the correct signal/position now but using the GPS waypoints here, the "off road" navigation does not work or rather just points me with a straight line to the next waypoint instead of navigating me through the streets.

Using on road it will show me the car roads...

any idea?

Hey guys, I got it working now but sometimes it seems to be a bit buggy... for example the routes from Walkhighlands (the only ones i used so far) seem to be sometimes showing me a different route and sometimes even reloading the map does not fix it.. not sure if this is a issue with my gps or the walkhihgland maps?

Also, sometimes I have some sort of naviation running in the background and it always beeps around while i am looking at one of the walkhighland tracks with waypoints, I cant figure out how to stop that nagivation !!

And last one: How can i set the display to not show anything if I just want to record the trip data (average speed, distance, altitude etc.) in the background without the need of navigation/display.

sorry for those newbie questions :)