Natural hide

BAIN!

On the way home from work today, I decided to stop by an old cache of mine that hadn't been logged since December. We had had some significant winter storms this year and I hadn't checked on this one since our daughter was born over a year ago. It had originally been hidden inside the hollowed trunk of a dead/dying tree.

Going back to GZ today, I couldn't for the life of me find the tree. I pulled out the trust GPS and found that I was standing at GZ, just about 5 ft away. There lay the leftovers of a larger tree falling over on my tree and splintering it. I figured the cache had been destroyed with this and everything inside was trashed, so this was turning into a clean up and archiving mission. After digging trough the layers of wood, bark and dirt, there it lay. Perfectly intact and the simple tubberware LNL was completely dry inside with all contents bone dry. The cache had been knocked down into the earth and covered by two larger pieces of splintered trunk. It was such a great hide that occurred naturally and I am more excited about the new way of being hidden than the way I originally hide it.

Good walk and great discovery of my own cache.

Kind of brings up an interesting question...if the cache "had been knocked down into the earth"...I guess it's technically "buried". Since it occured by force of nature and not by any action of the owner or cachers, I'm assuming this buried cache is not technically against guidelines....?

Kind of brings up an interesting question...if the cache "had been knocked down into the earth"...I guess it's technically "buried". Since it occured by force of nature and not by any action of the owner or cachers, I'm assuming this buried cache is not technically against guidelines....?

It is against the guidelines to bury a cache on purpose, but no, the action of erosion, wind, water, decomposing leaf litter, etc. is not going to change a perfectly cromulent cache into an "illegal" one.

and the simple tubberware LNL

It's Tupperware. And LnL in not a Tupperware product.

And LnL IS not a Tupperware product.

I'm also not fond of starting a sentence w/ a conjunction. :lol:

I am pretty sure "tupperware" has become the common word associated with plastic containers.

This has been an issue on 2 of my hides. Both were placed in an area that had recently been burned by forest fire. When I placed them they were really easy to get to. However, the bushes and grass and vines and stuff have come back quickly and after only 1 year, one of them was almost impossible to find. The other one in the same area was also much more difficult to reach and find as well. I've moved both of them. The one that was nearly impossible to find is in a much better spot now. The other one I'm not totally satisfied with. I plan to check on both of them again this summer to see how the forest is recovering and if the caches need to be moved again.