Missing Trackables

SS Cachelot

I have noticed ALLOT of Trackables that are in inventory at caches, but not physically there. Today alone, I found 8 caches and 5 of them had missing trackables. That's pretty sad!

So... I have began adding this statement to EVERY log entry I make. Maybe we can help educate people.

"I have noticed, lately, that there are an increasing number of missing Travel Bugs and Geo Coins". This is caused by people retrieving them from Caches and not logging them. You can help by keeping an eye out for trackables in every cache you find. If you retrieve and/or come across one, PLEASE LOG IT using it's unique tracking number, so it's owner can keep track of it. That is, after all, why it was sent out in the first place. If you find a cache that shows trackable items in inventory, but has none <physically> IN the cache, please include that discovery in your log. And... If you agree that there is a problem with this, help us to educate our community by spreading the word. A cacher who takes a trackable item without logging it & attempting to help it with it's goal is just another kind of MUGGLE! Thank you!"

Perhaps you meant to say, "all that do or might have a tb" will get your note?

As, this one, or this one, or this one... (you get the picture) all found today, are missing the note that you imply you place in all.

I personally would be a bit peeved at a cacher using logs on my caches for their own personal soap box for a side-game that has nothing to do with my cache.

Of course, every log that I left that statement in today has missing Trackables. If a cache owner has problems with it, they can just add this <or a similar statement> to their cache description.. OR they can just add a statement that there have been reports of missing trackables.. OR they can check on their caches to see if the trackable inventory is correct.

Completely disagree. Me pointing out a missing bug or coin is simply a drop in the bucket and a waste of my time.

In my opinion.. Your replying to my posts is a waste of MY time. If you don't have anything productive to add, why do you bother?

By the way.. I was wondering... You have been a cacher for like 10 years, have only found 730 caches, but have posted in here 21,447 times? Are you a Geocacher or a Forum-Poster?

Completely disagree. Me pointing out a missing bug or coin is simply a drop in the bucket and a waste of my time.

In my opinion.. Your replying to my posts is a waste of MY time. If you don't have anything productive to add, why do you bother?

By the way.. I was wondering... You have been a cacher for like 10 years, have only found 730 caches, but have posted in here 21,447 times? Are you a Geocacher or a Forum-Poster?

Oh boy! Another case of "Anyone who doesn't agree with me shouldn't post their opinions."

btw "it's" is a contraction of the words "it is"; "it's" is not the possessive of "it."

Oh boy! Another case of "Anyone who doesn't agree with me shouldn't post their opinions."

btw "it's" is a contraction of the words "it is"; "it's" is not the possessive of "it."

So.. I guess the purpose of these forums is to provide Grammar Critique?

Ouch... not a nice thing to say.

BTW... you're preaching to the choir about frustrations with misuse of trackables. It's not a new thing. If anything it has gotten worse year after year. You are more than welcome to try what you can to stem the tide but if you want cooperation you might want to use kid gloves instead of the boxing ones. Just my opinion so I hope you won't dig into my profile and find ways to dismiss my opinion too.

Good luck.

So you're not actually interested in knowing more about why I disagree.

I never said I wasn't interested. You just never provided. All you seem to do is act like, "That's stupid.. Why do that?"

No, I said I completely disagree. I'm not like (someone) who then goes into a eight paragraph explanation before he knows anyone is wanting clarification.

Ouch... not a nice thing to say.

BTW... you're preaching to the choir about frustrations with misuse of trackables. It's not a new thing. If anything it has gotten worse year after year. You are more than welcome to try what you can to stem the tide but if you want cooperation you might want to use kid gloves instead of the boxing ones. Just my opinion so I hope you won't dig into my profile and find ways to dismiss my opinion too.

Good luck.

Thanks, Droo.

By the way.. I'm far less likely to dismiss the opinion of someone who has found 2,950 caches in 12 years than someone with less of impressive an average than me.. Who seems to be nothing but dismissive of my posts.

So you don't want to have a conversation.

Conversation? All you have done is dismiss my concerns AND attempts to find a solution.

You never did answer my question.. Are you a Cacher or a Poster? Because while you have just been dismissing my every post, I have been out there finding caches & chasing trackables... And I can tell you that it is FAR MORE than a 0.0001% problem.

Today alone, I found 8 chaches and 5 of them had missing trackables. Considering the fact that 2 of the other 3 were micros... I'd say that there's a problem.

So you don't want to have a conversation.

Conversation? All you have done is dismiss my concerns AND attempts to find a solution.

You never did answer my question.. Are you a Cacher or a Poster? Because while you have just been dismissing my every post, I have been out there finding caches & chasing trackables... And I can tell you that it is FAR MORE than a 0.0001% problem.

Today alone, I found 8 chaches and 5 of them had missing trackables. Considering the fact that 2 of the other 3 were micros... I'd say that there's a problem.

The ability of enlightened and enabled cache finders and cache owners (and I mean that in the most sincere way) to address missing bugs and coins is completely beyond their means to make any impact. We have continually requested gc.com to address even the smaller parts of the issue without any response.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce
So... I have began adding this statement to EVERY log entry I make. Maybe we can help educate people.

" <snip>If you agree that there is a problem with this, help us to educate our community by spreading the word.

<snip> A cacher who takes a trackable item without logging it & attempting to help it with it's goal is just another kind of MUGGLE! Thank you!"

Of course, every log that I left that statement in today has missing Trackables. If a cache owner has problems with it, they can just add this <or a similar statement> to their cache description.. OR they can just add a statement that there have been reports of missing trackables.. OR they can check on their caches to see if the trackable inventory is correct.

Sorry, but EVERY log entry and "only those caches with missing trackables" isn't the same.

- And I simply thought it should be pointed out to you.

Guess you didn't understand that...

If I was the CO and received a log with not only an agenda (if you agree..help us..spread the word..) attached, but a harassing statement that someone who may have simply logged a trackable in error is, "just another kind of MUGGLE!" (Thank you! afterwards was a nice touch) I'd be sure to save a copy.

Then, instead of adding to your log, I'd probably be deleting it.

You can log again if you wished. TFTC would be fine...

You see, neither cache owners nor other cachers are responsible for checking on trackables.

If they'd like to, that's fine.

- Just like FTF, some don't want to play that side-game and that's fine too.

As a cache owner, my responsibility is to the cache's maintenance.

When doing maintenance, sure, I'll check and see if it's there.

- But I'm not going to head out every time a trackable becomes missing.

And I'm not writing anything on my cache page about a side-game that has nothing to do with the cache description.

Trackables have shown to be one of the top causes for anxiety in this hobby.

Unfortunately, they don't come with a warning that they could end up rerouted, lost, or stolen.

- No one would buy them.

I have noticed ALLOT of Trackables that are in inventory at caches, but not physically there. Today alone, I found 8 caches and 5 of them had missing trackables. That's pretty sad!

"I have noticed, lately, that there are an increasing number of missing Travel Bugs and Geo Coins". This is caused by people retrieving them from Caches and not logging them. You can help by keeping an eye out for trackables in every cache you find. If you retrieve and/or come across one, PLEASE LOG IT using it's unique tracking number, so it's owner can keep track of it. That is, after all, why it was sent out in the first place. If you find a cache that shows trackable items in inventory, but has none <physically> IN the cache, please include that discovery in your log. And... If you agree that there is a problem with this, help us to educate our community by spreading the word. A cacher who takes a trackable item without logging it & attempting to help it with it's goal is just another kind of MUGGLE! Thank you!"

Here's a suggestion ... take the time to read through >> http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=284690

It's been ongoing for quite a while. There are almost 250 posts in the thread dealing with the problem you describe (and then some). It's been an open thread since late 2011.

GS has been silent for the most part, only stopping in at posts 135 (Moun10Bike), 136 (Jeremy) to tell us that nothing is likely to happen anytime soon. The referenced thread has had no activity since January 2013 ... maybe it is time for YOU to bump it up. Time for the wheel to squeak again !!

At face value, trackables and geocoins are a sub-hobby of geocaching. Some care, some don't and that will never change. What CAN change is GS making it easier for those of us who DO CARE, to spend less time making meaningful trackable entries that we aren't able to do now.

The 'suggestions' thread mentioned is on my watch list. If YOU will revive it, I will get back into the input there ... as one geocacher who does care about trackables, their travels and their well being.

I always note in my log when I know there's a trackable listed in a cache but I can't find it. But I don't think a missing trackable warrants posting a lecture every single time. For one thing, the person that took the trackable without logging it is the least likely to read you subsequent log.

I always note in my log when I know there's a trackable listed in a cache but I can't find it. But I don't think a missing trackable warrants posting a lecture every single time. For one thing, the person that took the trackable without logging it is the least likely to read you subsequent log.

Exactly.

Posting the same unpleasant, hectoring cut & paste message on every log is equivalent to shouting in the wind. Hopefully, the cache owners will delete those logs and invite you to log again, without the useless harping.

It's much more helpful to everyone if you post something like "XXX coin/XYZ travel bug is not in this cache." That way, the cache owner and the trackable owners are alerted to the situation and can deal with it accordingly if they choose.

But ranting and raving on every cache page? That's rude and a waste of effort.

B.

Interesting that you own a cache so far from home that you posted a note on the cache page saying that you can't maintain it.

You can at least deal with the inventory of trackables. The two listed in GC13TCN seem to have been in the cache since 2010. That's usually not the reality, and as cache owner, you can mark those items as "missing". (Did you physically visit the cache before moving so far away?) From the sounds of the last logs, you may as well archive that one.

The same situation with GC1E0VY. You can mark those trackables as "missing".

B.

Interesting that you own a cache so far from home that you posted a note on the cache page saying that you can't maintain it.

You can at least deal with the inventory of trackables. The two listed in GC13TCN seem to have been in the cache since 2010. That's usually not the reality, and as cache owner, you can mark those items as "missing". (Did you physically visit the cache before moving so far away?) From the sounds of the last logs, you may as well archive that one.

The same situation with GC1E0VY. You can mark those trackables as "missing".

B.

Took a little head-scratching but finally figured out who and what you were referring to.

Yes, it appears that the cache owner and forum poster are the same, someone who moved from one location to another. Normally reviewers will not allow a cacher to publish one so far from home without explanation or assurance that the cache can be maintained. It is also interesting that the OP hasn't dealt with missing trackables in their own cache inventories, but complain about incorrect inventories elsewhere and propose solutions.

The 'missing' trackables in both of those caches above should have been marked 'missing' long ago. Not doing it thus far seems to make them part of the problem while proposing a solution ... :blink:

Not doing it thus far seems to make them part of the problem while proposing a solution ... :blink:

Thank you for being open and neutral. Doesn't happen often.

If there's something to be found , Pup Patrol will find it - and quick.

Love to know how he does that...

For the record, I'm not really a trackable hater.

If someone ever starts a "why don't you do trackables?" thread I'd get to explain a bit.

- This was the second time in less than a week that someone felt they could push their beliefs/agendas on others and , still a child of the sixties, I simply protested. :laughing:

As far as this is concerned, I have been caching since 2006, only have 479 found as of today.

Just because someone spends a lot of time on the forums, does not make them a Forum-Poster. I have on occasion posted in the forums, but remember... it is easier to make 15, 25 or 100 posts in one day, than it is to find caches in one day.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not "attacking" you in any way, just stating my opinion. But this is off track.

As far as missing TBs/Geocoins, yes, it does unfortunately happen quite often, and I too like to try and rescue them as much as the next person, but if I don't find it in the cache, I post a "TB/Geocoin was not in the cache in question along with either a log, if recently found, or in a note, if previously found. I also make a note on the TB/Geocoin page to inform the owner that it is missing.

And on another note, is it not the reason why we get a Copy Tag with our TBs? So that is does go missing, we are able to re-release. I have a few that are on there third incarnation! Once you buy the TB/Geocoin, the tracking code is yours to use in any way, shape or form. Simply edit your trackable page to inform the searchers of what has happened.

Edited by TheLegoFool&Missus

To the OP.

This is an age old issue.

It is impossible to police the huge number of trackables out there. There isn't enough people power to do that.

And i will have you that 85% of BlueDeuce's 21,447 forum posts are him answering someone's question about travel bugs and how they work, us:ng his own valuable time to do so, so I am going to point you to the forum guidelines and a few paragraphs in particular:

2. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests in these forums with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, everyone should be treated respectfully.

4. Personal attacks and inflammatory or antagonistic behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to post criticism, please do so constructively. Generalized, vicious or veiled attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

6. Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should stay on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that veer off topic may be redirected, closed or moderated by a moderator. Deliberate disruption or derailing of topics is not appropriate. However, our moderators allow for natural progressions of topics.

I am closing this thread now, as you have another one on the same subject in your region. Trackable maintenance begins with the trackable owners, and with cache owners who are willing to go the extra step. I am a volunteer for this site and I can mark trackables missing too. So can your reviewer, if you don't overwhelm them. Please check your own caches, and read the forum guidelines I linked above.