SEARCH FOR CACHE BY NAME

SkipperP

While I see on the initial results page that there are options to sort by D/T, PLACED or LAST FOUND - how is GC sorting the initial results? On a search for "STAR" I got 7700+ results - with the list starting in New Zealand. (Page 10 shows New South Wales - Australia caches) I'm in California. How does this list help me?

Maybe GC could sort the list by home coordinates.

PS - I have entered "home coordinates" on my profile page.

In the "olden days" - lackeys (in the most reverent and respectful way) were involved in the forums / feedback loops. Are they watching these posts and do they ever step in and make comments. I'm thinking / assuming the "search by name" functionality is low volume use as I can't see where its of any use to anyone. It seems to me this functionality, as it exists, is not practical. It would seem to me they would want to put a functionality out there that people used in earnest.

In the "olden days" - lackeys (in the most reverent and respectful way) were involved in the forums / feedback loops. Are they watching these posts and do they ever step in and make comments. I'm thinking / assuming the "search by name" functionality is low volume use as I can't see where its of any use to anyone. It seems to me this functionality, as it exists, is not practical. It would seem to me they would want to put a functionality out there that people used in earnest.

They do watch and respond in this forum topic: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=139

Yeah, you need to go to the Feature Request forum and make the 10,000th request for a search that is useful.

My favorite is to search for Mingo. There is one cache in the world that matches the search term perfectly so you would think that it would be at the top of the list, yet you have to weed through three or four pages of Pink Flamingos before you can find it.

Challenge caches have become very popular in the last few years and the guidelines state that the word Challenge must appear in the cache title. One would assume then that we ought to be able to do a search by cache name with the word Challenge to find nearby Challenge caches. When I do that, the first couple of pages are all caches in New Zealand (I live in upstate NY). Most of the search functions on the hide and seek page allow you to specify a location (using ones home coordinates, an address, postal code, or specific coordinates) and a radius from that location. That effectively allow ordering of the results based on proximity to a center point. That's not the case for search by cache name (nor Found by or Hidden by Username). In those cases, a center point is not used in the search criteria and we can't even sort the results based on the distance from our home location.