"Visiting" caches?

daggr

1 hour ago, lisaclown said:

Yes, you are correct. I just found out I can only visit or "dip" with the ap on my phone. I can't come home to the computer and log it. At least that's what I think...

Use the web browser on your phone, and you'll have more flexibility to make logs just as you like. But you still might need to have a plan, depending on how messed up the logs are.

1 hour ago, lisaclown said:

Yes, you are correct. I just found out I can only visit or "dip" with the ap on my phone. I can't come home to the computer and log it. At least that's what I think...

Of course you can come home to the computer and log it .  If you have already logged your find from your phone, you can edit it to visit or drop the TB.

On 22/03/2013 at 5:12 AM, Harry Dolphin said:

I agree, I find it incredibly annoying. The only purpose it serves is to clutter up TB pages. I was following a few TBs but gave up when Cacher X had it visit 25 caches in two months. And if you ry to check out the TBs on a cache page, you find that Cacher Y had 32 TBs visit that cache.

I don't mind the cache visits, particularly if it helps it move along. At least I know its still moving and eventually they do get dropped into an accomadating cache. I think it also shows they are in the hands of someone who knows how trackables work. 2 that I have in action no had a few "visit" logs straight away. Other have just disappeared from the cache they were dropped in. 

Discovered logs annoy me though but they have there place. Being discovered in a cache lets you know its still in play. Getting bulk discovered logs from an event is annoying, as is the handing out of lists which then circulate. I am still getting logs 3 months later from an event.

I did delete some dual logs on one travel bug and was queried by the log writer why I deleted their log. So for any others I just send a message explaining why the log was deleted. I have also messaged others who have written logs different to the usual "found it", both with my trackables and caches.

Its nice to show appreciation and to receive it too. But it takes time ?

5 hours ago, Zane and Bianca said:

I don't mind the cache visits, particularly if it helps it move along. At least I know its still moving and eventually they do get dropped into an accomadating cache. I think it also shows they are in the hands of someone who knows how trackables work.

Discovered logs annoy me though but they have there place. Being discovered in a cache lets you know its still in play. Getting bulk discovered logs from an event is annoying, as is the handing out of lists which then circulate. I am still getting logs 3 months later from an event.

:)

Unless the person "visiting" is including pictures of places they've been, there's no indication that they even still have it;)

- Just yesterday one asked about auto logging.  Folks logging trackables from inventory into every cache they find, yet sometimes they've actually lost a couple along the way.  We've yet to see a person carrying all those trackables they claim to be "visiting" to each cache.

OT, but when I Discover a trackable, it's sometimes because the trackable is held by someone other than where it's supposed to be (one at an event had two in his possession, yet they were supposed to be in caches).   This kinda stuff happens a lot more than some realize.

Don't cache like I used to, so sometimes I'll Discover if I can't Retrieve 'em,  simply letting the TO know they're still safe n sound.

I agree that list discovers are a pain-in-the-can, and a big reason some falsely believe all should be deleted.

- Guess they can't read  to tell when a log's being helpful...

The other 2/3rds made up lists for a couple "friends" years ago (that's what folks did back then), but still getting "discovers" from people in other countries.  Go figure...

3 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We've yet to see a person carrying all those trackables they claim to be "visiting" to each cache.

If you would happen to run into us you might be able to log all TBs we have retrieved but not dropped yet. I carry an old compact camera case with all trackables with me. I do not let them visit all caches though but will occasionally visit one or two caches when abroad (citytrip) to add extra kilometers/miles.

My own TBs (in my possession) visit every cache we find, our one TB still active has "Please do not log it as "took it" in every cache you do but limit "took it" logs to one/caching day or one/area." on the TB page. I delete many "took it to.." logs whenever I happen to check the logs.

On 6/11/2018 at 5:46 PM, lisaclown said:

You can log a trackable visit from the computer as well, in a couple of different ways.  When you are editing or adding a log to a cache, below the log entry is a list of your trackable inventory, with options to Visit, Drop, etc.

You can also just go into your trackable inventory, choose one of the TB's, and on the TB page itself log a Visit, Drop, etc.

On 6/12/2018 at 10:42 AM, on4bam said:

If you would happen to run into us you might be able to log all TBs we have retrieved but not dropped yet. I carry an old compact camera case with all trackables with me. I do not let them visit all caches though but will occasionally visit one or two caches when abroad (citytrip) to add extra kilometers/miles.

My own TBs (in my possession) visit every cache we find, our one TB still active has "Please do not log it as "took it" in every cache you do but limit "took it" logs to one/caching day or one/area." on the TB page. I delete many "took it to.." logs whenever I happen to check the logs.

This^^

I too, carry a backpack (my "geo-bag") with me when geocaching, and a ziploc has the dozen or so trackables in my inventory so they DO go with me to the caches I visit them to.  I visit selectively, usually only once in a new location, or if the place has some significance to the TB's goal (be photographed on islands, or with turtles, etc).  I try to get photos when I can to assure theTB owner that I do, in fact, have their TB in my possession and I am moving it along.