"Visiting" caches?

daggr

We set a trackable out into the wild a few weeks ago. It was immediately taken to an event, so we were inundated with people that "discovered it." Annoying, but fine, whatever.

The person who actually took it, though, is just logging all of these "xx took it to xx cache." and not dropping it in. Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind this? They've taken it to 25 caches for a visit! For what?? Is there some kind of stat that correlates to carrying a TB around like a little puppy in a purse?

I realize once you set a TB out into the wild it's no longer in your control, but I'm completely baffled as to why this feature exists. Just drop the d@#$ thing already.

Sorry for the rant.

We set a trackable out into the wild a few weeks ago. It was immediately taken to an event, so we were inundated with people that "discovered it." Annoying, but fine, whatever.

The person who actually took it, though, is just logging all of these "xx took it to xx cache." and not dropping it in. Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind this? They've taken it to 25 caches for a visit! For what?? Is there some kind of stat that correlates to carrying a TB around like a little puppy in a purse?

I realize once you set a TB out into the wild it's no longer in your control, but I'm completely baffled as to why this feature exists. Just drop the d@#$ thing already.

Sorry for the rant.

I agree, I find it incredibly annoying. The only purpose it serves is to clutter up TB pages. I was following a few TBs but gave up when Cacher X had it visit 25 caches in two months. And if you ry to check out the TBs on a cache page, you find that Cacher Y had 32 TBs visit that cache.

Right.

For all anyone knows the TBs could be long gone and the guys just logging the tracking numbers everywhere he goes, maybe keeping the TBs on pegboards in his basement.

I think it's very rude to accumulate others TBs and cart 'em around on some oddball mission.

For what purpose really?

We've seen many are men too, which strikes me funny that a guy would carry around a bookbag full of someone else's Hello Kitty Tbs dipping 'em in caches.

- Maybe it's similar to that Brony thing I hear about once in awhile.

CJ had coins that started out this way and eventually they turned up missing, so that "someone taking care of it" thing doesn't always ring true.

My understanding is that it's a "feature" of smartphone apps. Apparently at least one app even has it as the default behavior. The person may not even be aware they are doing it, and may have forgotten all about your trackable.

On the other hand, some people consciously decide to do that because they think it's a good idea. As someone else mentioned, they think taking a traveler to 25 caches within a mile of each other somehow makes a significant addition to "the mileage". I don't care about my trackable's mileage -- it sounds like you don't either -- so I find those empty logs pointless garbage. If someone has my TB visit a cache for some reason and writes an actual log entry for the visit, that's great.

Fortunately, you don't get an email notification for visits, so you aren't bothered by the hundreds of empty visit logs until you look at the TB for other reasons. Then, of course, you have to paw through all the trash to find the logs that are interesting.

As far as I know, nothing in the system reports how many visit logs a cacher has filed, so I think those are the two cases: either they don't know they're doing it, or they think they're being nice to the TB's owner. From what I hear, it doesn't help any to put something in the TB's description to ask people not to do empty visits, but you can try that, anyway.

Personally, I post visit logs when I happen to have a TB with me but don't put it in said cache. Maybe the cache is too small. Maybe the cache is in a remote place that would mean the TB would not move on quickly enough. Maybe the cache is in a high-muggle area with a risk of being ripped. Maybe the TB goal is to travel east and you happen to be travelling west for the day. In all those cases I would post a log to show the owner where there TB is or has been. I always try to drop it again within 2-3 weeks as the guidelines state.

An empty log might not be as much fun as a full log, but it does provide you helpful information.

I couldn't help myself... I emailed the cacher a nice message asking if they were using an app with "auto-visit" and that's exactly the case. They are using an Android c:geo app and it automatically logs that the trackable has visited every. single. cache. that they log as a find.

That's all I asked; I didn't ask if she still had it, what her plans were for it, or anything, but she volunteered that she would be dropping it in a cache this weekend. Not thrilled with all the pointless logs, but oh well. What can you do :)

I couldn't help myself... I emailed the cacher a nice message asking if they were using an app with "auto-visit" and that's exactly the case. They are using an Android c:geo app and it automatically logs that the trackable has visited every. single. cache. that they log as a find.

That's all I asked; I didn't ask if she still had it, what her plans were for it, or anything, but she volunteered that she would be dropping it in a cache this weekend. Not thrilled with all the pointless logs, but oh well. What can you do :)

Be happy that your bug is getting action. There are allot of missing trackables out there. I have had one lost and 2 that have been lingering in the hands of the people that retrieved them.. Without any progress. There are allot of caches out there that show trackables in their inventory, but none are present. The issue has turned into a bit of an education crusade for me. (See my posts titled "Missing Trackables", if you want to help.

Personally, I would rather see pages of visit logs than nothing at all.

One of my TBs that was set loose as part of a mileage race was picked up last October and had no logs for five months.

I had no idea what was going on with it.

It was placed in a cache over 5,600 kms away this week, 5 months after it was retrieved, so I am happy it got a nice mileage boost, but it would have been even higher if it had been dipped over the 5 months the cacher had it.

As for smartphone apps auto-dipping, each time you log a cache on the gc.com web site, you have the option of having all the TBs in your inventory "visit" that cache as well, so it's not isolated to apps.

Many here are against "visits" for their trackables. I'm not - if it's within reasonable limits. "Visits" keep the trackable moving. They move faster if 1 person takes them to 10 places than if 10 people each take them to 1 place. Some call these logs "clutter," but I like the action. One person took my trackable on a 1, 000 mile road trip with visits. Cool! We exchanged emails. Finally he placed it. All interesting & enjoyable.

By the way, I think nothing is achieved by being negative or pushy with holders of your trackables. Neutral or positive is the only way to be, IMO.

Be happy that your bug is getting action. There are allot of missing trackables out there. I have had one lost and 2 that have been lingering in the hands of the people that retrieved them.. Without any progress. There are allot of caches out there that show trackables in their inventory, but none are present. The issue has turned into a bit of an education crusade for me. (See my posts titled "Missing Trackables", if you want to help.

I've released two travel bugs in the past. Each lasted a little while (One made it to Austria!) and then disappeared. I know the pain of missing TB's!

Many here are against "visits" for their trackables. I'm not - if it's within reasonable limits. "Visits" keep the trackable moving. They move faster if 1 person takes them to 10 places than if 10 people each take them to 1 place. Some call these logs "clutter," but I like the action. One person took my trackable on a 1, 000 mile road trip with visits. Cool! We exchanged emails. Finally he placed it. All interesting & enjoyable.

By the way, I think nothing is achieved by being negative or pushy with holders of your trackables. Neutral or positive is the only way to be, IMO.

I can't tell if your "by the way" is directed at my comment that I sent her a message... my message was definitely just neutral, just one question about the visits, and I asked nothing else.

I suppose I'm not against visits as you described... but we're going on 30 caches here and I personally find that unreasonable. There are no photos, no logs. Just "took it to xx cache." I find those pretty boring.

But yes, I can see how it would be comforting to know it's still in someone's hands and is being moved around. On the other hand, there's no reason to believe it's not lost since the app automatically marks it as visiting. It doesn't necessarily mean the TB is with the cacher.

• Upvote 1
there's no reason to believe it's not lost since the app automatically marks it as visiting. It doesn't necessarily mean the TB is with the cacher.

+1

To the people who always do the visits, and those that "enjoy" them:

Why is it up to the TB Owner to figure out what's going on? If the premise is that "at least we know it's moving and definitely not lost and not a computer glitch at all", "it's getting all those miles", and/or "I can't find anything but a Micro for the past 6 months including the cache I found it in"... Then why only post the robotic logs?

You do see people asking what's going on with all the "visits", so isn't that a heads-up that people are at least wondering what the deal is? It seems like SOME explanation could be human-typed during the list of "visits", requiring no email from the Owner, if it's true that all the visits are a favor to the Owner. In which case, do them a favor.

Edited by kunarion

Yeah...I guarantee that first one I found and held onto for six weeks did not "visit" all the caches I found in that time period. Fortunately I finally had it in my possession when finding a cache large enough to hold it...and intentionally do not hold onto any that long anymore.

I just went to my first event and logged a lot of trackables that others were sharing. I was surprised that so many people were taking a lot of coins on visits from place to place, but that is fine. Except, like daggr mentioned, it's MINE and I want to enjoy reviewing my coin's progress, but instead scroll through several pages of visits (yes, boring).

It might seem like the height of rudeness to some reading this, but is there no way to delete any of these visit logs? I'd probably delete, say, 1/2 of these "visit" logs, particularly the ones within a few miles or often much less, sometimes several in a day. To me, scrolling through pages of "visits" has made trackables much less appealing in recent years. It adds nothing, unless the guys traveling across the globe or at least several states. Thanks!

I log visits on trackables I find. I tend to try to leave them in caches they will not go missing from. If I find 3 or 4 caches close to one another I don't always log every one. I do try to log a visit for every run I go on.. so the owner does not figure their trackable has been forgotten.

If someone complained how I was logging their trackable, I would for sure drop it into the next cache like a hot potato.

Moving their TB around is doing another cacher a favor..

I frequently look through my TBs logs to look at cache pages for caches I will most likely never get to visit myself.

You can thank geocaching.com for blank visited logs though. I wish you could leave notes on a trackable page while logging a found it on a cache page (dropdown).

Shaun

You can thank geocaching.com for blank visited logs though. I wish you could leave notes on a trackable page while logging a found it on a cache page (dropdown).

Go to the TB page and type something.

If someone complained how I was logging their trackable, I would for sure drop it into the next cache like a hot potato.

Indeed. One of the most cherished facets of Geocaching is messing with people, because that's done with impunity and can be justified in one's own mind.

Edited by kunarion
I figured my geocoin was missing.

I'll review my languishing TBs, the ones with no log in a long time... maybe I should I mark that one missing... and discover it's been actively dipped into every cache for the past three months. But all I saw was the one Retrieve log, weeks ago. Then it's been held like a bunch of my other TBs are.

So it has mileage, different countries, traveling all over. Wow, I hope that guy knows I get zero notifications about that. Because otherwise, he's wondering why I haven't shown any appreciation for all that travel. They are the same Visited logs over and over, no photos, no stories, but lots of miles (assuming he's actually carrying the TB around like that, and it's not merely some weird C:zero bug).

Edited by kunarion

Does anyone who doesn't care for visit logs mention that on their TB's page? I think it would be helpful...I'm sure not everyone would listen, but I know I didn't realize so many people didn't care for visit logs until I came on the forums and read some posts about it.

Does anyone who doesn't care for visit logs mention that on their TB's page?

Here's the amount of text that I've put on my Trackables. After a few more paragraphs, it will start to be too much: B)

Trackables are placed into Geocaches so that there's always something fun to find inside. These are NOT to be kept, stolen, nor sold. Move them along properly, and quickly. If you like to find fun items in Geocaches, be sure Trackables don't get lost.

Check your Trackables Inventory right now: http://www.geocaching.com/my/inventory.aspx

If any Trackables listed are not owned by you, first make a log note on the Trackable's page, and then contact the Trackable's owner, to let them know what its status is. And place it into a Geocache as soon as possible.

The unending automatic “visit” logs with no photos, no personalized text, make it seem like there's a problem. Please physically place my TB into a container and log that you did so, within two weeks of picking it up.

Important: If anything goes wrong (like if you dropped off a Traveler and forgot to log it, or you still have it after a couple of weeks for whatever reason, or even if you've lost it), DO NOT rely on email or messaging. PLEASE type a Note on the Traveler's page, and let the Owner know. Don't let it just "disappear" and make the Owner wonder forever what happened. If someone writes to you several times about their lost Trackable, your reply may not be arriving. Use a PM (Profile Message) directly, to respond, and also make a log note in case email isn't working.

You may find Travel Bugs and Geocoins in a Geocache. They're trackable gamepieces, and have owners. Don't keep active trackable items. If you find any, leave them in the cache, or place them into a Geocache soon. If you've had a trackable for a long time, please put it into a cache as soon as possible -- someone is waiting for it to turn up. If it's my Traveler, please just place it in whatever condition it is, no questions asked. Contact the owner if you have a question about a trackable, or start a thread in the TB forum.

Edited by kunarion

I've seen you reference the same situation (someone picking up a TB and keeping it with them for months and having it visit every cache they find) several times, and I think that is obviously not what any TB owner wants. To me that's just common sense and I have no idea why anyone would think it's okay to just hijack someone's bug like that.

I'm talking more about a situation like, if you have a TB for 2-3 weeks, and you have a destination cache in mind that fits its mission, but you visit other caches in between picking it up and dropping it off. I felt bad for keeping a geocoin longer than I had intended, so I figured the least I could do is make sure to log the mileage it traveled with me, because it was with me and it did visit those caches. After visiting the forums and reading how much some TB owners hate visit logs, I felt bad for doing it. And I can see where they're coming from, page after page of visit logs without pictures aren't interesting, and in the future, if I have a TB visit a cache I will definitely take pics and upload them so the owner doesn't think I'm just lying.

It may be as simple as those are microcaches - I had 3 in a row (including one which wasn't listed as micro on line which is where I planned to drop it but the original had gone missing and when replaced the owner had clearly replaced it with a micro, the first one where it could fit it was dropped off - but had some visits on the way

It may be as simple as those are microcaches - I had 3 in a row (including one which wasn't listed as micro on line which is where I planned to drop it but the original had gone missing and when replaced the owner had clearly replaced it with a micro, the first one where it could fit it was dropped off - but had some visits on the way

When you see so many people in these forums asking "What's going on with all the Visits on my TB?", it's more than just micros or whatever. There's a breakdown of communication. Otherwise, they'd already know what's going on and it would't be a forum question.

I agree whole-heartedly with this. Apart from the crazy 'auto visit' feature, I think it is a bit much to be upset at someone who is trying to do the right thing by your TB through visiting it in caches; it shows that it is moving and collecting miles if nothing else and a bonus is when they take the time to write something extra in those logs and add the odd photo or two.

I visit tbs in my possession whenever I find a cache and the TB is with me. I'd not see a problem with that and don't see how it is useless. A TB is supposed to travel, and visits do that. If I grabbed tbs and dropped them in the next cache I find, they would never travel. However, if I keep it and visit it in caches, it might travel several thousand Km's over several months. I like my tbs to get dipped as it shows that they are still moving. I agree that c:geo auto visit is annoying, but I don't have a problem with visiting...

Sorry for the rant.

I agree, I find it incredibly annoying. The only purpose it serves is to clutter up TB pages. I was following a few TBs but gave up when Cacher X had it visit 25 caches in two months. And if you ry to check out the TBs on a cache page, you find that Cacher Y had 32 TBs visit that cache.

The purpose of dipping or visiting a TB into a cache is to record the mileage that the TB has done. You can go to your TB page and click on the map and see where it has travelled and how many miles it has done.

May i suggest if you do not like this feature on your TB that you add this to the mission of your TBs eg I do not want to 'visit' caches, please only log me when you retrieve and drop my TB off.

Some may not see this as not everyone reads the info.

Here's why i visit the TBs and some of the logs i do

1 as i stated above, for the mileage

2 so the owner can see where it has visited and how man miles it has travelled

3 we recently went on holiday, so before we went, i contacted the owners and asked if they wanted us to take their TBs with us, and did they want them dropped off abroad or brought back to the uk and dropped off?

they all wanted to go with us with a mix of the 2 options.

4 on some of the logs of places their TBs visited, i have uploaded photos of their TBs at beautiful or interesting locations eg in front of a windmill in belgium, at one of the oldest caches still going - GC40 in Belgium, along the route that St Francis took on a series of caches visiting a beautiful Abbey, churches etc, photos of churches along a series of Remarkable Churches we did.

5 The TB does not always need to be in the photos, it depends what the TB owner wants.

If you do not like the idea of any of the above, maybe sending out a TB is not the best option for you? Maye it is to keep it with you as a record of your own adventures, then you can decide which caches you choose it to visit?

The sad thing is, not everyone will add a photo or a comment to the TB log, which is what makes it very boring for you and those following it.

Feel free to have a look at some of my logs. I am slowly going through the TBs we took abroad and uploading the photos of places we visited.

I contacted the TB owners and asked if they would like me to do this first and they all said YES PLEASE and that it did not matter if their TB was in the photo.

I have had some lovely emails back from TB owners thanking me for interesting logs and photos.

One option if people discover a lot of TBs in one place, os to log them via project-gc.com then they can choose to write an interesting log about the event or place they were all discoverd and the same message goes to eache TB owner - again, just like when some cachers log a cache, they also don't add extra info about where the cache visited or upload photos. i think it is sad when an TB owner has gone to the expence and trouble to send out a TB, not to at least add a photo. Every TB that goes via my TB Hotel lately, i take a photo and upload it, usually by the TB Hotel, to the page when i visit it, then i add it to the TBs page too.

I hope that helps

All the best

Heather

I agree whole-heartedly with this. Apart from the crazy 'auto visit' feature, I think it is a bit much to be upset at someone who is trying to do the right thing by your TB through visiting it in caches; it shows that it is moving and collecting miles if nothing else and a bonus is when they take the time to write something extra in those logs and add the odd photo or two.

I agree with you both on this one, see my comments on one of the posts that quotes Harry Dolphin and daggr - good on you for being interested in where your TB goes :)

I've seen you reference the same situation (someone picking up a TB and keeping it with them for months and having it visit every cache they find) several times, and I think that is obviously not what any TB owner wants. To me that's just common sense and I have no idea why anyone would think it's okay to just hijack someone's bug like that.

I'm talking more about a situation like, if you have a TB for 2-3 weeks, and you have a destination cache in mind that fits its mission, but you visit other caches in between picking it up and dropping it off. I felt bad for keeping a geocoin longer than I had intended, so I figured the least I could do is make sure to log the mileage it traveled with me, because it was with me and it did visit those caches. After visiting the forums and reading how much some TB owners hate visit logs, I felt bad for doing it. And I can see where they're coming from, page after page of visit logs without pictures aren't interesting, and in the future, if I have a TB visit a cache I will definitely take pics and upload them so the owner doesn't think I'm just lying.

Every TB owner is different and you should not feel bad by logging it as visited. \if you sre unsure, i would always say ciontact the TB Owner like we do. Sometimes we have had a TB for 4 weeks as we have emailed the owner and said we are going on holiday, from the UK, once it was to visit and travel via france, belgium, holland, germany and denmark! they were delighted to follow our adventures :) We took photos and added them to some logs along the way, One TB owner said that they would prefer to click on the caches we had taken it to, and it had visited, to read our logs and see photos there and then asked me to upload certain photos with my visit logs - so every TB Owner is different - communication is the key to a happy relationship.

I just went to my first event and logged a lot of trackables that others were sharing. I was surprised that so many people were taking a lot of coins on visits from place to place, but that is fine. Except, like daggr mentioned, it's MINE and I want to enjoy reviewing my coin's progress, but instead scroll through several pages of visits (yes, boring).

It might seem like the height of rudeness to some reading this, but is there no way to delete any of these visit logs? I'd probably delete, say, 1/2 of these "visit" logs, particularly the ones within a few miles or often much less, sometimes several in a day. To me, scrolling through pages of "visits" has made trackables much less appealing in recent years. It adds nothing, unless the guys traveling across the globe or at least several states. Thanks!

I'm sorry that you do not like to follow the progress of your TB's - you could always just look at the map on the TB page if you do not want to se the visit logs. OR you could click on the cache that it has visited and read their log, if they have uploaded a photo, you could contact them and ask if they would like to add that photo or some info to some of their logs of your TBs 'Visit'. I have contacted other cachers before and said i love the photo you uploaded to the cache page when you took my TB there, please could you upload it to my TB page on your log - they are more than happy to do this :)

I always contact an owner if i have a certain cache in mid that i am planning to drop their TB or as i have commetned elsewhere on this thread, when we are planning a holiday.

Like i also mentioned on here - every TB Owner is different. If you do not want your TB to 'VISIT' any caches and have low mileage and only be logged in and out of caches, then maybe you should contact the current holders and ask if they can put a tag on it to say so, and make sure you put that on the TBs description page or put only visit if you will add a photo?

As the idea of a TB is to travel ie 'Travel Bugs' then it is only right that people will assume that it wants to do just that - Travel, unless you make it clear otherwise.

I would be reassurred by Visit logs as it shows the TB is actually moving and has not been stuck in a cache (we have rescues many that have been stuck in caches for weeks) or worse still, been lost or stolen. There are many posts on owners TBs being lost or stolen on these forums. I would bee glad mine was still moving to be honest.

Does anyone who doesn't care for visit logs mention that on their TB's page? I think it would be helpful...I'm sure not everyone would listen, but I know I didn't realize so many people didn't care for visit logs until I came on the forums and read some posts about it.

There may be a few on here who do not care for visit logs, but there are a whole lot more that do like to track the progress of their TBs. If in doubt, contact the owner or add it to your log.

I am slowly going through the TBs we took abroad and uploading the photos of places we visited.

I contacted the TB owners and asked if they would like me to do this first and they all said YES PLEASE and that it did not matter if their TB was in the photo.

I have had some lovely emails back from TB owners thanking me for interesting logs and photos.

That's a great idea! :D

Sometimes I take an extreme close-up of the TB at the foot of a statue or whatever, then a wide shot of the statue. But most any scenic photo is good, and a lot better than a blank "Visit".

For the record; I like my TB visiting caches with the Geocacher holding it; I like to look at the map to see where they have been and it is fun to see the path a Geocacher takes in a day or week or so of caching sometimes!

Don't feel bad about visiting caches with TBs I say; it's all part of the game and as with any game, you can ask for your own game piece to be used in a certain way, but once you release it, then you just have the fun of watching random chance at work and see who ends up with it and where it goes!

You act like you're doing the bug and the bug owner a favor but five bucks says that if there wasn't a visit option you wouldn't waste your time.

You tracking the caches you found and logging my bug through them AND SHARING NOTHING doesn't do it for me.

"I'm so glad I can show where I took this bug". Another five bucks says you might have assisted the bug by dropping it off in one cache, finally, but you probably just dropped it...wherever.

How many of those bugs did you take pictures and tell stories? Or did you just visit?

edit: your/you're

Edited by BlueDeuce
At least you know that they have it and are still taking care of it and it is not in limbo.

No you don't know that. Unless there are photos or other evidence, all you know is there are a bunch of robotic logs.

+1

Here is an example that visiting doesn't mean that they have it! TB2EJMR 41 pages of visiting and then they figured out that they didn't have it.

How many of those bugs did you take pictures and tell stories? Or did you just visit?

Me personally, always a story and I try to have at least one photo for each TB. But I also don't get twisted if I get the robotic (yes boring) log of just visits, because I understand I have no control over how other people play the game and at the very least, it is fun to see on the map where the bug has travelled. You have to see the silver lining in the cloud, or you might as well give up the game.

Me personally, always a story and I try to have at least one photo for each TB. But I also don't get twisted if I get the robotic (yes boring) log of just visits, because I understand I have no control over how other people play the game and at the very least, it is fun to see on the map where the bug has travelled. You have to see the silver lining in the cloud, or you might as well give up the game.

I don't get twisted either. I only see the emails of drops and retrieves. Visiting as an option is perfectly fine. but we need to get people thinking about why use it. Hence the intensity to shine the light.

Say someone wanted to take your bug to a location but knew they couldn't leave it behind. Previously they would do a drop and retrieve and at least give you some general comment of what they did.

Now, they can log it through every cache regardless and tell you nothing. You say you have no control but would you really be losing anything if they didn't have an auto-logging option? Shouldn't you as the owner have any input on the matter? Did anyone ask you when they implemented it?

I understand that it doesn't really matter to some folks, but think I think they would have an issue if the option was taken away.

My silver lining is seeing people logging a bug with a purpose, rather then just checking a flag on an account.

edit: clarification

Edited by BlueDeuce

This is quite an old post but here is my two-cents... I think it's fun to see where the trackable goes. It's like the movie Amelie... Amelie's had a friend take her father's garden gnome all over the world and send pictures back to him. Funny stuff...

It's interesting so see how far or the different stops they take. I have my first found trackable for a week and have taken it looking for a place big (and dry enough) for it. I have the opposite problem and can't figure out HOW to track the places it's been though!  I found a place a few days ago but just had a feeling it would be muggled so I chose not to leave it behind. Meanwhile the cute little pug is safe with me... just not making a journey.

14 minutes ago, lisaclown said:

I have my first found trackable for a week and have taken it looking for a place big (and dry enough) for it. I have the opposite problem and can't figure out HOW to track the places it's been though!  I found a place a few days ago but just had a feeling it would be muggled so I chose not to leave it behind. Meanwhile the cute little pug is safe with me... just not making a journey.

You "Visited" the ruff trackable in a cache just today.

If you're simply talking about the trackable's tracking history, you have the logs,  and the View Map  at the bottom of the page.