Garmin Dakota 20 eats GC

kksjgel

Hi all,

I transfer the gpx files from geocaching.com. I verify the files are in the /garmin/gpx folder. I disconnect the unit, check and sure enough they are there. Next day, head out to find caches only to find they are not on the gps unit. When I look in the /garmin/gpx folder, they are still there, though. So, following the advice of others, I deleted all the gpx files and tried again. Same thing. First they would show up on the gps, and the next day they wouldn't. I do take out the batteries between use.

I am new. I have searched the forum and found these two threads related to my problem:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=269939

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=306571

Any ideas? Also, what sort of battery life should I expect from normal alkaline batteries? Is it unrealistic to expect a week in standby?

Thanks all! Tried contacting Garmin. That went nowhere. Shame, too, since the gps is a nice one.

Kristopher

How many geocaches are you loading? I believe the Dakota 20 can hold 2,000 at the most but only so many unique (200 total) gpx files so if you're downloading them one by one as a separate gpx file, consider pocket queries. Anything above that will cause geocaches to disappear even though they are still stored on the unit as a gpx file.

I generally get around 10-12 hours on alkalines without using any power saving features and keeping the backlight down to a minimum.

I usually around 300 on the device. I add them all individually with gpx files. I have never used pocket queries. Is there a good site you can recommend or an FAQ?

Thanks for the battery life info. I am not sure how other devices can go for months without battery charges when this thing seems to eat batteries too. :)

I usually around 300 on the device. I add them all individually with gpx files. I have never used pocket queries.

If you are loading 300 individual GPX file on your Dakota, they are not all being indexed. The limit is 200, after that the Dakota just ignores the rest.

Edited by BMW JEDI
I have never used pocket queries. Is there a good site you can recommend or an FAQ?

Thanks for the battery life info. I am not sure how other devices can go for months without battery charges when this thing seems to eat batteries too. :)

Get yourself some nice rechargeable eneloops, or Duracells, as shown here (I use both).

As for Pocket Queries, try this link.

Edited by BMW JEDI