advertising on this site?

Today when I logged caches, I noticed on the page where I type out my log entry that I was getting advertisements for sears and joann craft websites. Conveniently sites I had visited in this past week. I thought this site would remain ad free, except for the various geocaching related ads. Will this be something I should expect from now on?

(I had no idea where to put this thread. If it gets moved, please let me know which forum it should go on so I can find it again.)

It's standard Google Adsense ads. Mrs. Yuck bought a Subaru in December, so I was all over the the Subaru USA website around then. When these targeted ads first appeared (and I'll say it was late Jan./Early Feb.) I was seeing ads for a Subaru dealer about 60 miles from my house. There was a thread back then.

Oh, the targeted according to your surfing habit ones only seem to appear on any kind of search page. Like a zip code search for example.

What I want to know is how to get rid of it!

Google the following:

"ad blocker [insert your browser name here]"

Like Pup Patrol, I haven't seen an ad on this website for years, at least on my home computers. I only see them in my browser at work where I can't install an ad blocker.

Thanks. I'll try that.

It's standard Google Adsense ads. Mrs. Yuck bought a Subaru in December, so I was all over the the Subaru USA website around then. When these targeted ads first appeared (and I'll say it was late Jan./Early Feb.) I was seeing ads for a Subaru dealer about 60 miles from my house. There was a thread back then.

Yeah. And I still didn't get the curvy one... :(

Did you click on a malicious link somewhere? I read somewhere else on the forum that this could be the case if you see these kind of ads on the geocaching website.

No, someone said that in the other thread!! :laughing: On any kind of search page, you will see non-geocaching ads, often targeted to your surfing habits. Ads never bothered me much in general, so I don't run any kind of ad blocker.

Did you click on a malicious link somewhere? I read somewhere else on the forum that this could be the case if you see these kind of ads on the geocaching website.

No, someone said that in the other thread!! :laughing: On any kind of search page, you will see non-geocaching ads, often targeted to your surfing habits. Ads never bothered me much in general, so I don't run any kind of ad blocker.

A few days ago a Conservative MP in the UK tweeted that he thought it was inappropriate that a Labour party press release carried an advert for an "Arab girls" dating site. Then someone pointed out that the press release carried a Google adsense banner which displays adverts based on the viewer's browsing habits - Oops.

Full story here

That would be information for a company, say a Geocoin manufacturer, who wanted to advertise on Geocaching.com. Not really close to what the OP was talking about, if you don't mind me saying. :P

In addition to my Subaru story, I have within the last month taken over server admin duties for a website. Not that I know what the heck I'm doing there, but I digress. This particular website is hosted on the well-known host Rackspace. Just from logging into Rackspace.com about 10 times in the last couple weeks, I see Google Adsense Ads for "The Rackspace Cloud" all over the friggin' internet, including on Geocaching.com search pages.

These are just the observations of someone who was never bothered much by internet ads, and apparently even looks at them. :laughing:

What I want to know is how to get rid of it!

Google the following:

"ad blocker [insert your browser name here]"

Like Pup Patrol, I haven't seen an ad on this website for years, at least on my home computers. I only see them in my browser at work where I can't install an ad blocker.

While Adblocker (specifically, Ad Block Plus, or ADP) is a great piece of software it does not come without a cost. Although it's open source and can be downloaded for free, everytime a web page request is made, the browser has to execute that extra bit of code. I would prefer that unsolicited Ads were never included with the content I'm asking for so that I would have to use an ad blocker that reduces performance.

Probably every one here uses some sort of anti-virus/malware/trojan horse detection software (aka, Endpoint Security) on their computer. Whenever I check the lists of processes running on one of the computers I'm working on, I find that the real-time detection endpoint security application is *always* the biggest consumer of memory and compute resources. According to a Global Security Analyst paper I found, "Global market revenues for Endpoint Security are expected to surpass $5.0 billion by 2017." I'd much rather prefer it if that money could be used to identify and prosecute those that create viruses, malware, etc. instead of forcing the consumer to pay (both financially, and a reduction of performance) to block these intrusions after the fact. That $5.0 billion also doesn't include the lost in productivity and revenue when Endpoint Security fails, which I suspect far surpasses that figure.

While the cost of blocking commercial ads pales in comparison to an endpoint security approach, that strategy for dealing with unwanted data is essentially the same.

This may be getting a bit technical, but read on if it interests you. I always go into my browser's privacy settings and require that it ASK me whether I want to accept cookies for any new site that I go to. When I hit a new site, it will ask me to accept or block AND with the option to remember the answer for all future visits (so I don't keep being asked every time).

Yes, that means that I get a few of these browser (not AD!) pop-ups asking me what to do with cookies, but I don't mind. I never accept cookies from google, nor from any site that is NOT the site I am visiting. What I mean is, that if my search shows that I can find such-and-so at site www.abcdef.net and I click on it, if the browser says that bozotheclown.pester.com wants to save a cookie on my PC I say NO (and remember that answer permanently for bozotheclown.pester.com!). If www.abcdef.net wants to save a cookie, that's OK, because that's the site I'm intentionally going to.

What this does is cripple the ad auto-generators from knowing what you like. Generally those ad generators do not (and cannot) use the cookies from the sites that you actually wanted to go to, like www.abcdef.net. Instead, they are using the cookies that would have been quietly saved on your PC that were NOT from www.abcdef.net, unless like me you have the privacy setting switched to ASK, and you refuse them.

As a result, those google ad-generators cannot figure out anything about me. The web page designers have some kind of agreement that the ad-generator can look at the current page and try to throw out ads based on the content.* But without the cookies being enabled, the ad-generator can't remember the content when I navigate to a different page.

* Footnote: I've seen some humorous misinterpretations of current page content in some of the ads generated. I remember being in a very nebulous page in the everythingdulcimer.com discussion pages, and the ad generator was seeing something that thought that we were looking for sexy negligees or something. It wasn't just randomly generated, because everyone who visited the discussion thread kept getting randomly-generated ads within the same market. And of course, once they started remarking on it, that only fed the flame!