New York State Geocaching Organization?

There has been some talk about starting a NYS Geocaching group, broken down into regions.

We will be having a Syracuse Geocaching Picnic on August 3rd. Before the caches and burgers start flying, we are planning on meeting at 10am to discuss creating a group.

Any and all are welcome. Lunch is 'pot-luck' and hopefully will be ready around noon-ish.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Dekaner,

I hope to be at the picnic to join the discussion about a NYS GC association. Afterall, I placed the first cache at Clark's Reservation! ;-)

This summer is a busy one. We have lots of family plans. I'll try to make the picnic fit into the schedule, even if I can only make it for the organizational meeting at 10 AM.

Anton - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

I'm brainstorming for an indoor location to hold a gathering for a social lunch or dinner in Watertown NY or closeby. I'd like to talk to everyone interested in forming a regional geocache association in support of the NY state geocache association that is now being put together by some hard working cachers in Western NY and Syracuse. I hope to persuade Brogan and Dekaner to attend to help explain what they are trying to accomplish on a state wide level. This meeting would be open to any cacher from anywhere and I hope to draw foreign cachers with our beautiful North Country terrain and scenery. I welcome all input on the subject but want to hold the event in late April or early May before 1st brigade of 10th Mountain deploys back to Afghanistan. I'll try to attend Where the Crows Fly 4/26/03 in Auburn NY and Geo Jamboree, June 7-8 40 miles northeast of New York City. I'm afraid I'll miss Letchworth Fall Gathering II again this year because of work.

Hey, I live in the relatively geocache scarce area of Woodstock, NY, and would really love to begin getting together with any cachers around this region. Counties of Ulster, Orange, Sullivan, Dutchess, Columbia, and Greene are particularly where I want to locate other geocachers.

We need to get more folks who hide caches, and more folks to hunt for them. Please, let me know if you're in this area! Email me, we'll make some sort of plan.

Cache as cache can! icon_biggrin.gif

www.billsville.com

Same holds true for myself, both the mentioned events are on my calender and just let me know when and where for any other you would like to host.

Good progress is being made on getting NYGO up and running, hopefully we'll have a framework in place very soon.

I'm not getting much interest as of late for a North Country organization but for those of you keeping score here's the deal for upcoming gatherings:

26 APR 03 in Auburn NY/ 24 caches within 8 miles

7-8 JUN 03 in Pound Ridge NY/ 25 within 10 miles

7 JUN 03 in Rochester NY/ 24 caches within 4 miles

18 OCT 03 in Letchworth NY/ 25 within 14 miles

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring now too.

12 APR 03 in Watertown NY or somewhere closeby (I'm looking for recomendations still) for lunch or dinner. I've already come up with 4 or 5 new caches for the event, I just need some input and some interest. By the way, how about that weather this weekend?

If the Syracuse crew can throw their gathering in early August I'll be able to make it to that one too.

I just finished checking out www.texasgeocaching.com

They seem to be ahead of the game in organizing. They're already selling merchandise. I don't know if we have any wealthy retired New York Geocachers, which seems to be the requirement to have the time and money to get a geocaching organization running at full speed right off the bat, interested in adopting our cause. Is it possible to make a living at this? Maybe the army would release me from my commitment if I promised to train potential soldiers in land navigation in NY. A guy can dream.

Can anyone actually vouch for quality of those items? We've got some people working on a logo and we can determine who we want to use to produce items then. We have a good relationship with one organization who has been making our patches.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Waiting on the censors to allow my posting. This event is being held on Saturday the 19th of April at noon. The coords that will be posted are for the front door of the Red Lion Restraunt and Brewery. Mapquest is recommended since it's a little hard to get to despite being in downtown Watertown. I do need to know a rough estimate of how many folks will attend so that we can reserve a specific sized room to accommodate all of us. Please post a note of how many in your party if you plan to attend on the actual cache page. I can promise a few new caches for you North Country veterans to tackle before or after lunch. Lunch can be ordered off the menu but there's no obligation for you to eat here. A 20% gratuity will be added to each bill because of the size of our gathering. For those who didn't know, there are some hard working geocachers trying to get a New York Geocaching Organization (NYGO) off the ground and we hope to get a couple of those guys up here for our event to chat us up. In the spirit of geocaching, everyone is invited to attend this gathering and we hope to see some out of state and Canadian geocachers.

You menion you're not getting much feedback from the North Country--we're up here in Plattsburgh, which is about as far north in NY as you can get, and we'd be very enthusiastic about a local group frog.gif. Give me more info on what you're looking for, perhaps we can work this into something.

CMondon@aol.com (Tom-n-Cat)

Tom and Cath

Greetings everyone,

I must first introduce myself, my name is Anthony S Burdge, the Chairman of the New York TOlkien Society:Heren Istarion and found out about GeoCache on NY1 news. I am VERY interested in Geocaching and learning everything about it as quickly as possible. What caught my eye was the fact that this news story was at Inwood Hill park near the Cloisters in Manhattan.

I have many ideas on an event for Geocaching and fans of Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings. I would also like to have our Society as a part of Geocaching and vice versa.

Please email me if you would like with your thoughts

HerenIstarion@yahoo.com

Anthony