Has anyone used a thigh rig as a caching bag? Thoughts/advice?

I'm wondering if anyone has used a tactical thigh rig as their caching bag. The idea came to me that I could fit all of my caching basics into a rig and have all everything right at hand, rather than having to unsling my backpack every time I need something. I've found a couple of decent-looking ones on eBay for about $30; is it worth the investment?

I use a Maxpedition versipack Jumbo - easy access without removing it from myself.

There are similar generics out there

^ ^ ^

This is what I bought a few months ago to replace a backpack I'd used for several years. Mine's green, but otherwise it's the same rig. Worth every penny, IMHO.

--Larry

I carry a Maxpedition in the Geo Truck and have a Nite Ize pock-its that I have my TOTT in that I carry in the cargo pocket of my pants. Between the two I have everything I need for caching around town or out in the rural areas. On the trails both go with me. Around town I usually just need the Nite Ize.

I use a 'generic' version of this which I got on Ebay. Plenty of pockets & pouches, and places to hang a torch/multi-tool/GPS/etc. It's permanently packed and ready to go.

Can anyone tell me the 'brand names' of the generics? What was the eBay search that led you to the bag you use?

Can anyone tell me the 'brand names' of the generics? What was the eBay search that led you to the bag you use?

I can tell you though that the knock-off ones are no match for the real thing - Maxpedition makes a high quality product that they stand behind. The generic one I got literal started wearing hard along several seams within 2 months.

I use a Maxpedition versipack Jumbo - easy access without removing it from myself.

51CmPxOesRL._SX385_.jpg

I use the same bag in Digital Foliage most of the time or a CamelBak hydration backpack (The Transformer version, lots of pockets) on all day caching trips as I can carry more water that way. You cannot go wrong with Maxpedition gear. You get what you pay for with their stuff.

I have used thigh rigs before and not a big fan of them as I tend to carry a lot of goodies and it feels like a weight swinging around on my leg, works just wasn't as comfy feeling.

Edited by ClanStan

A thigh rig is really out of place when you're in public.

Brushes/snags against things and becomes annoying too.

I used a thigh rig a few years back, and finally ditched it for exactly that reason. That, and a buddy of mine insisted on calling it my man purse. :P

--Larry

Like the venerable StarBrand, I have a Maxpedition Versipac, though mine is the standard, not the jumbo. Many years ago, I went through the money saving phase I suspect most of us are cursed with at some stage in our lives, and tried generic variants for hydration packs. This valuable lesson taught me to purchase the absolute best product I could afford, and I would save money in the long run. I have no regrets with my Versipac.

I should add that when I friends try to call it a man bag, I tell them I have no need to euphemise. It is a purse.

I have an Eagle Creek fanny pack that I converted to a sholder bag with an old laptop strap. I have been using it for several years and I don't even notice it's there any more. I carry it whenever I go more than a dozen yards from the geomobile. I have yet to find the need for something as large as a baskpack on the trail, but that's just how I roll.

Edited by ras_oscar

I'm wondering if anyone has used a tactical thigh rig as their caching bag. The idea came to me that I could fit all of my caching basics into a rig and have all everything right at hand, rather than having to unsling my backpack every time I need something. I've found a couple of decent-looking ones on eBay for about $30; is it worth the investment?

I use a copy of a military ammo bag, it has one main pocket and two smaller pockets on the outside. The strap is long enough so I can put the strap on one shoulder and the bag hangs on my opposite hip. I gave $9.00 for the bag at our local army surplus story.