Help with preparing a Spanish version needed

Murazor

Hi,

I am going to prepare an EarthCache on Rapa Nui (Easter Island) on natural magnetism. There are three interesting spots there: a naturally magnetized volcanic stone, a magnetic anomaly (disturbance) on the surface caused probably by underground iron deposit, and an observatory of earth magnetism. Together they could make, well, maybe even a D/T 4/5 EC. I have the theoretical background prepared for it and I will do some on-site measurements next two weeks.

The Earth Cache rules require a listing in a "local language" which in the case of Easter Island could be considered either Rapanuan (very local indeed) or Spanish as the island is formally a part of Chile. Unfortunately I barely understand Spanish and I'm unable to write a description in that language. So I'm looking for help with making the Spanish version.

I guess the best way to reduce the translating workload would be submitting the listing in English only and after getting approval for all the substantial aspects make the listing translated before publication. Geoaware-s what's your opinion on this?

I guess the best way to reduce the translating workload would be submitting the listing in English only and after getting approval for all the substantial aspects make the listing translated before publication. Geoaware-s what's your opinion on this?

Hello Murazor,

your cache will probably be reviewed by us. Please do submit it in English first, and only have it translated once it's approved. If some changes are necessary then you don't need to change the translation as well.

Cheers,

1/2 of GeoawareGBL

Try posting in one of the Spanish speaking forums and getting a geocacher to help out.

The guideline changed after we'd already gotten our Naerofjord cache posted, so we looked through the listing and contacted some local cachers who'd logged finds and asked as nicely as we could if they could help out. I find offering swag is a good incentive, I sent a few geocoins their way.

Edited by hzoi

Heh, after visiting Easter Island I must say, that there is a material for multitude of EartCaches there. I have made observations and measurements for three new ones: two simple ones and one very challenging... Fortunately a local guide agreed to make tranlations once the listing are ready. Stay tuned!

These tips all look good. You certainly won't need a translation into Rapa Nui (though that'd get you some major bonus points :) ).

Spanish will be sufficient for the "local language".

Save the translation till the end, after the English text is "ready to publish".

Seems like there is some good geology there!

--Matt, GeoawareHQ

The first EC (simple, about a lava tube) is submitted for the first review. :)

The second one (also involving a lava tube but in quite a different context) is under development.

Here is a teaser:

The third one is a bit troublesome. It would require to visit 4 different locations connected with natural magnetism. For three of them I have tasks more or less prepared, but the fourth one is a magnetometric station - I don't know if it is possible to find a "proof of visit" task for that spot that is directly earth science related... But the place is important enough to our knowledge about the magnetic field of the Earth that I think visiting it should be mandatory to complete an EarthCache on this topic.

The third one is a bit troublesome. It would require to visit 4 different locations connected with natural magnetism. For three of them I have tasks more or less prepared, but the fourth one is a magnetometric station - I don't know if it is possible to find a "proof of visit" task for that spot that is directly earth science related... But the place is important enough to our knowledge about the magnetic field of the Earth that I think visiting it should be mandatory to complete an EarthCache on this topic.

Is the magnetometric station open to the public? Is there a way for people to gather information about the data being collected by the station?

In my experience, and from the photos and the text you provide, most of these types of stations are closed units. They are either opened periodically to be read by employees or they send data automatically to a computer somewhere.

Do the EarthCache visitors really need to visit the station, or would it be just as enlightening if they read about it?