Managing time on cache trip

313JTG

I'm going to take a 90 mile trip next week with the sole intention of caching and then I will cache the way back. About 85 miles is freeway with exits that are STOCKED with caches. I've got my PQ ready to go, but time management is usually a problem for me on these trips. I'll be leaving at 10 AM to hit the road and it'll take two hours of driving to reach the destination, but I'll be attending an event that night as well.

So basically, how do you manage your time on a caching trip searching for caches? I want to maximize my potential number of finds on that day since I'm not caching at the ideal rate for my goal this year. Thanks for the advice in advance!

I'm going to take a 90 mile trip next week with the sole intention of caching and then I will cache the way back. About 85 miles is freeway with exits that are STOCKED with caches. I've got my PQ ready to go, but time management is usually a problem for me on these trips. I'll be leaving at 10 AM to hit the road and it'll take two hours of driving to reach the destination, but I'll be attending an event that night as well.

So basically, how do you manage your time on a caching trip searching for caches? I want to maximize my potential number of finds on that day since I'm not caching at the ideal rate for my goal this year. Thanks for the advice in advance!

When going on a trip down a highway with an actual destination and a set time that I must arrive by, I'll preselect the caches that I think are worth the time. The quantity is usually not the goal but to have my extra time spent on caches that I'll enjoy. One strategy that I'll use is to use my handheld GPs specifically for caching and to set my Nuvi to my final destination at the beginning of the trip. This way I can watch my ETA creep up and know when it's time to stop caching.

Assuming that you're in the U.S. (I didn't check), as you're driving down the freeway to your turnaround point only stop for caches on the right hand side of the freeway, then do the same on the way back.

A lot of cachers don't post DNFs because it makes them look bad.
No posting DNFs is to help alert the CO and other caches that there might be a problem with the cache. Don't give in to the feeling that it makes you look bad. Even if they don't post about it, the best cachers can't find all the caches all the time. Don't feel like you should be able to.