Online description source for 1934 USGS mark?

TillaMurphs

Anyone know of an online source that might have additional USGS description for this station mark?

MU0416

MU0416 ***********************************************************************
MU0416  DESIGNATION -  CHISELED SQUARE OFFSET
MU0416  PID         -  MU0416
MU0416  STATE/COUNTY-  NV/HUMBOLDT
MU0416  COUNTRY     -  US
MU0416  USGS QUAD   -  GREELEY FLAT (1980)
MU0416
MU0416                         *CURRENT SURVEY CONTROL
MU0416  ______________________________________________________________________
MU0416* NAD 83(1994) POSITION- 41 42 10.72163(N) 117 14 42.54369(W)   ADJUSTED  
MU0416* NAVD 88 ORTHO HEIGHT -  1807.     (meters)    5928.    (feet) SCALED    
MU0416  ______________________________________________________________________
MU0416  GEOID HEIGHT    -        -18.15  (meters)                     GEOID12A
MU0416  LAPLACE CORR    -         -0.68  (seconds)                    DEFLEC12A
MU0416  HORZ ORDER      -  SECOND
MU0416
MU0416
MU0416_MARKER: X = CHISELED CROSS
MU0416_SETTING: 80 = SET IN A BOULDER
MU0416_STABILITY: C = MAY HOLD, BUT OF TYPE COMMONLY SUBJECT TO
MU0416+STABILITY: SURFACE MOTION
MU0416
MU0416  HISTORY     - Date     Condition        Report By
MU0416  HISTORY     - 1934     MONUMENTED       USGS
MU0416
MU0416                          STATION DESCRIPTION
MU0416
MU0416'DESCRIBED BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1934 (CP)
MU0416'STATION IS ON TOP OF RIDGE, THE FIRST ONE NORTH OF THE LITTLE
MU0416'HUMBOLDT RIVER 100 YARDS EAST OF THE PARADISE VALLEY-CALICO
MU0416'RANCH ROAD AT A POINT 26.2 MILES NORTHEAST OF PARADISE VALLEY
MU0416'AND 16.2 MILES SOUTH OF THE CALICO RANCH, AND IS 0.9 MILE NORTH OF
MU0416'THE LITTLE HUMBOLDT RIVER.
MU0416'
MU0416'STATION WAS ESTABLISHED BY A FIELD PARTY OF THE U.S. GEOLOGICAL
MU0416'SURVEY AND OBSERVED AT THEIR REQUEST.  THE STATION MARK IS A
MU0416'CHISELED CROSS IN A BOULDER.  NO REFERENCE MARKS ESTABLISHED.

Tillamurphs,

Why are you interested in more information on this mark? As someone else said the coords are adjusted so you should be able to get quite close to it without any description.

One thing that I noticed is that it is called Chiseled SQUARE OFFSET, which implies that there is a chiseled square somewhere about (is that what you are looking for?). Offset marks are usually placed when the main mark is not in a convenient spot for a survey crew, so they put a new, carefully measured mark nearby and use it. I have only seen a few of them but they are typically within 50 feet of the original mark.

There is a lot of documentation of old bench marks online--usually triangulation and leveling books on Google books, but they date mostly from the turn of the 20th century. I don't remember seeing anything from as recent as 1934. However, it may be possible that the original mark was set earlier and you might find something about it. My method of research for local marks was to look for "leveling" and "triangulation" and some of the areas I wanted to search.

The NGS has a lot of old documents at http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/ but they are not indexed and it is hard to find anything useful in them.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Tillamurphs,

Why are you interested in more information on this mark? As someone else said the coords are adjusted so you should be able to get quite close to it without any description.

One thing that I noticed is that it is called Chiseled SQUARE OFFSET, which implies that there is a chiseled square somewhere about (is that what you are looking for?). Offset marks are usually placed when the main mark is not in a convenient spot for a survey crew, so they put a new, carefully measured mark nearby and use it. I have only seen a few of them but they are typically within 50 feet of the original mark.

There is a lot of documentation of old bench marks online--usually triangulation and leveling books on Google books, but they date mostly from the turn of the 20th century. I don't remember seeing anything from as recent as 1934. However, it may be possible that the original mark was set earlier and you might find something about it. My method of research for local marks was to look for "leveling" and "triangulation" and some of the areas I wanted to search.

The NGS has a lot of old documents at http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/ but they are not indexed and it is hard to find anything useful in them.

mloser,

Yes – you are correct. I am looking for more information in the hope of also locating the original chiseled square that might be associtated with Chiseled SQUARE OFFSET . I was assuming that Chiseled SQUARE OFFSET was an eccentric and your message lends me to believe my assumption might be valid.

Also, like you mentioned, I have had some luck with finding earlier USGS information in Google Books and in hard copy books referring to “leveling”. But it seems like the info I have been finding is all before 1920. I was hoping there might be some information somewhere on the marks that are as new as the mid 30’s.

I will have a look at the link you included and see what I can find.

Thanks

I'm wondering if the word 'OFFSET' was used by the 1934 triangulation crew that 'OBSERVED AT THEIR REQUEST' to indicate that it was not part of the project for that year. In that part of the world there is not much to interfere with sight lines.

Of the three nearby Tri's set that year (CALICO MU0420, ROUND MU0417 & FLAT MU0476), only Calico was used as a reference object.

Looks like easy access to several of the 198 Bench Mark string from 1963 on the way down there.

kayakbird

Edited by kayakbird

I'm wondering if the word 'OFFSET' was used by the 1934 triangulation crew that 'OBSERVED AT THEIR REQUEST' to indicate that it was not part of the project for that year. In that part of the world there is not much to interfere with sight lines.

Hmmmm. You have a very good point there. There is not much else around. Hmmmm.