TB hotel

SirKarp

Curious was reading through some logs for some caches I plan on looking for this coming weekend when I came across a CO's log for their TB hotel. "This is a TRAVEL BUG HOTEL--If a bug is taken one is to be put back in it's place. We may have to change it to a regular cache as the bugs are taken and no one seems to want to leave any in there place. What I read in the geocaching rules was a HOTEL is the one place you TAKE ONE you are suppose to LEAVE ONE." I've been to many hotels that have had NO TBs. In fact I can count on one hand the number of hotels that had even 1 TB in it when I visited. I think nothing of it as I've been told that there is really isn't a rule to take a TB you have to leave a TB, even if a CO will have it on the cache page. It's not that I don't want to leave a TB I make every effort to do so, I try to have at least one with me when I cache, but it seems that only time I find TB's these days are at events, but that's another problem for another day.

My interest is, is this true? Does one have to leave a TB when one is taken from a bug hotel? I looked around to find a rule that said yes or no one way or the other with no luck. Are there special rules for Hotels? Just curious.

From the pinned topic: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=234227&view=findpost&p=4101514

"8. Do I have to trade when I take a Trackable?

No, no, no, a thousand times no. Travel bugs and trackable geocoins, that have been set out to travel, are not trade items, you do not have to put something in the cache to take a Trackable item, and you should not take something from a cache in trade for a Trackable item. If you should take something from a cache, you should make a trade, and you can place/take the Trackable item."

There are no special rules to a "hotel". The bugs belong to their owners, not the cache hider. As long as you're helping the bug's mission, move it along however you see fit.

Curious was reading through some logs for some caches I plan on looking for this coming weekend when I came across a CO's log for their TB hotel. "This is a TRAVEL BUG HOTEL--If a bug is taken one is to be put back in it's place. We may have to change it to a regular cache as the bugs are taken and no one seems to want to leave any in there place. What I read in the geocaching rules was a HOTEL is the one place you TAKE ONE you are suppose to LEAVE ONE." I've been to many hotels that have had NO TBs. In fact I can count on one hand the number of hotels that had even 1 TB in it when I visited. I think nothing of it as I've been told that there is really isn't a rule to take a TB you have to leave a TB, even if a CO will have it on the cache page. It's not that I don't want to leave a TB I make every effort to do so, I try to have at least one with me when I cache, but it seems that only time I find TB's these days are at events, but that's another problem for another day.

My interest is, is this true? Does one have to leave a TB when one is taken from a bug hotel? I looked around to find a rule that said yes or no one way or the other with no luck. Are there special rules for Hotels? Just curious.

The cache owner who put that on his/her cache description is mistaken, and should be corrected.

Trackables are NOT swag, and don't fall under any "trading" rules. They are the property of their owners, who have set them free to travel.

If you can retrieve a trackable, and move it along, then do so. Ignore any directives that go against the etiquette of trackables.

A "travel bug hotel" is nothing more than a regular cache. Just because the owner calls it a "hotel" doesn't give it any special status, and doesn't give the CO the right to restrict trackable movement.

B.

Curious was reading through some logs for some caches I plan on looking for this coming weekend when I came across a CO's log for their TB hotel. "This is a TRAVEL BUG HOTEL--If a bug is taken one is to be put back in it's place. We may have to change it to a regular cache as the bugs are taken and no one seems to want to leave any in there place. What I read in the geocaching rules was a HOTEL is the one place you TAKE ONE you are suppose to LEAVE ONE."

This is the kind of thinking that produces a TB Prison. The CO apparently thinks it is OK for him to place outside restrictions upon what can and cannot happen regarding his cache (regardless of what he may call it). Doubtfully, anyone could ever get him to change his mind... so, just treat TBs and geocoins within as you would any other cache and MOVE them.

That's what I thought and have been told over and over. Just checking as I know rules do change from time to time. Like the rule of no more "sprinkler" hides. I have done these before with no problem but recently had one all set up ready to go and the reviewer nix it. No more hides of this type are being allowed because of the damage to the real thing when some not to careful cachers go searching. Again another topic for another board.