How long lasts Oregon 550 track log space?

How long tracks and how many days can be logged with Oregon 550?

I'm going to 10 days trip driving by car and walking and would like to save all 10 days track log for later photo geo tagging with PC.

While I can take care that the batteries will last, during this 10 days I can't access PC, while there is only Android, which I think can't connect with Garmin Oegon 550

Any experiences how space hungry is Oregon track logging?

What are Oregon limits?

Track length or available memory?

Total estimated during 10 days max 1000 km by car and max 100 km by foot

Many stops for sightseeing or having rest pauses to have eat.

Toal time logging 150 hours

PS I tried to create account at http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

But it failed and I can't post there any questions.

Edited by Oregiano

You're in luck!

From the Main Menu on your Oregon 550, select:

Setup > Tracks > Track Log > Record, Show On Map (will always show recorded track log on map screen) or Record, Do Not Show (Still records track log, but without displaying on map screen)

Setup > Tracks > Record Method > Auto

Setup > Tracks > Interval > Auto

Setup > Tracks > Auto Archive > When Full

Now, make sure you are always in the profile you just adjusted, and be sure to adjust all profiles you may be using to use these settings.

When you are ready to begin recording for your trip, select Track Manager > Current Track > Clear Current Track > Yes to clear out any old track data you do not want.

Make sure you keep extra batteries on hand, and if you are not using the GPS much, adjust Setup > Display > Backlight Timeout > as low as possible to conserve battery power.

Also, to prevent accidents while carrying the device, you can short cycle the power button to bring up the status page, where you can select 'Lock Screen'. After, you will need to repeat the same procedure again, selecting 'Unlock Screen'.

And finally, when you no longer need to record any more tracks, make sure to select Track Manager > Current Track > Save Track > {Enter} to make sure the final portion of your trip is saved!

The Oregon 550 will continue to record track logs so long as memory is available on the device!

Edited by BMW JEDI

You're in luck!

From the Main Menu on your Oregon 550, select:

Setup > Tracks > Track Log > Record, Show On Map (will always show recorded track log on map screen) or Record, Do Not Show (Still records track log, but without displaying on map screen)

And finally, when you no longer need to record any more tracks, make sure to select Track Manager > Current Track > Save Track > {Enter} to make sure the final portion of your trip is saved!

The Oregon 550 will continue to record track logs so long as memory is available on the device!

Thanks. Over years and under heavy work burden I still haven't understood and can't imagine my luck. :-)

Oregon has some 700-800MB internal memory where also are some maps. I recall there was 1000 tracks and 10000 waypoint limit? Is it correct?

Then each day starting new track will last with 5 sec intervals 10000x5=50000 sec= 13.8 hours. How much space requires such one day log?

And what means auto archiving? Can it be set to save to SD card?

Thanks!

Thanks. Over years and under heavy work burden I still haven't understood and can't imagine my luck. :-)

Oregon has some 700-800MB internal memory where also are some maps. I recall there was 1000 tracks and 10000 waypoint limit? Is it correct?

Then each day starting new track will last with 5 sec intervals 10000x5=50000 sec= 13.8 hours. How much space requires such one day log?

And what means auto archiving? Can it be set to save to SD card?

Thanks!

10,000 waypoints per track, 200 saved tracks.

Auto Archive means, when the current track (the one being recorded) gets near the 10,000 waypoint limit, the Oregon 550 will automatically save (archive) it to the Garmin\GPX\ directory, and continue recording a new track log right where the last one left off. It will continue to do this so long as it has battery power and space on the unit.

Currently, auto archiving can not be set to write to the uSD card, only the internal memory.

One you return home, you can load all the tracks into BaseCamp and reconnect them, creating a single track log of your entire trip, and match your photos up with that track.

Make sure you GPS and Camera have the same date/Time settings :)

It is a bit more confusing than that, but close enough. There is actually no known limit in the amount of tracks you can have on the unit. There is a limit on the number of GPX files, which is around 200 files. If you stuff multiple tracks in a file, you can have more than 200 tracks. It tends to only matter if you have auto-archive set to daily, as you will run over the file limit.