trash and containers

Off Grid

Other than people putting a cache in a maybe not so good spot where to much trash was or was not.

What about something simple as having a paper in there saying geocache and having your cache labeled geocache specially in BC parks I read the guidelines and it said to have any container labeled and CRD parks but I've noticed at most not all that putting on a label is a lost art

A friend of mine asked me the awhile ago why there geocache kept going missing

the last container they put geocache on it and never had a problem after probably should have moved it a few feet

The caches are not supposed to be to far from the trail not supposed to make your own trails well...

Who knows maybe BC parks and CRD will just say no more caches.

What do you think?

Edited by Off Grid

BC Parks have changed their geocache placement guidelines a few times over the past few years. A couple years ago, a cache in BC Parks had a maximum lifespan of 3 years (before it had to be archived). Now I see that the guidelines allow a cache to stay longer, but must be checked at least every 3 years.

The current guidelines also state that

“All caches must be marked "Geocache" on the outside of the container and the owner's name and contact information must be inside of the cache.”

I think there’s a few unlabelled geocaches placed out there before the Parks Dept. had any guidelines at all, but I do agree that recent geocaches should be properly labelled.

It was mentioned that caches should be placed close to the trails, but that’s not always easy to do, especially if you’re scrambling up to a mtn peak or glacier. Here’s a quote from the BC Parks geocaching policy 2013;

“Cache placement may only occur in areas accessible from established trails or along approved travel routes (including remote backcountry areas that allow travel in areas without established trails).”

There’s some leeway there, but we don’t want to abuse this privilege.

We are fortunate enough here in British Columbia that we don’t require a permit to hide a cache in a Provincial Park. Many thanks should be given to the BCGA for cultivating an excellent relationship with the Parks Dept. It could only take one unfortunate incident; before the Parks Dept. changes its guidelines and restricts the easy access we’re granted. I know I don’t want to be that one person who ruins it for everybody else.

Other than people putting a cache in a maybe not so good spot where to much trash was or was not.

What about something simple as having a paper in there saying geocache and having your cache labeled geocache specially in BC parks I read the guidelines and it said to have any container labeled and CRD parks but I've noticed at most not all that putting on a label is a lost art

A friend of mine asked me the awhile ago why there geocache kept going missing

the last container they put geocache on it and never had a problem after probably should have moved it a few feet

The caches are not supposed to be to far from the trail not supposed to make your own trails well...

Who knows maybe BC parks and CRD will just say no more caches.

What do you think?

I put this in Google Translate, but it simply couldn't figure out what language it was. Does anyone have a clue?

What about something simple as having a paper in there saying geocache

I think one problem in general is the use of pill bottles and such as containers. If I didn't know what geocaching was, I'd throw it away, too. Plus the smaller size makes putting stash notes in and labels on a lot harder. On the other hand, they're cheaper and easy to replace when someone tosses it, so.

I've only ever seen one cache site that looked like a dump, but it was under a veeeery high overpass and was an awesome spot regardless.

I think one problem in general is the use of pill bottles and such as containers. If I didn't know what geocaching was, I'd throw it away, too. Plus the smaller size makes putting stash notes in and labels on a lot harder. On the other hand, they're cheaper and easy to replace when someone tosses it, so.

*Snip

I agree with the first part...After all kids are trained taught drugs are bad. So is medicine and if you find any to tell a grown up. The adult will probably just throw it away-especially if it feels empty.

But I disagree on the part I've bolded. I have/had printed off logsheets that where one side log, the other a stash note. You could either print on both side of the papaer, or print them side by side and fold them. I also found film can labels somewhere-of course making the label weatherproof is hard. (could use vinyl are something-but it gets expensive)

I've only ever seen one cache site that looked like a dump, but it was under a veeeery high overpass and was an awesome spot regardless.

I kinda agree. If more would CITO, they might too.

We do neighborhood roadside cleanups a lot (cachers adopted one too) and already remarked that we wouldn't be surprised if a few hides are (now) in the trash.

We (now) know of two that were put into trash during a roadside CITO. We figured it must have been one of the newer folks who didn't know about it.

Stash notes in roadside hides is only good if someone opens it.

Someone cleaning up an area probably isn't going to take the time to open up everything they're throwing in a garbage bag, especially when warned about "full" bottles and other containers, not having it's original contents (you know...) inside.

A few years ago on a park trail, CJ grabbed a can (we CITO as we go) unknown to me as I said we're at GZ.

We looked quite a while for that micro, finally giving up and on to another.

Email from the CO said it was, "in a crumpled can". Sure enough, when she looked in her bin (she saves the cans) there it was.

- That hide just begged to be grabbed as garbage.

He finally archived it after it happened two more times.

Just last year, somone got the bright idea of placing a log in a water bottle and littering the roadside (mostly in guardrails) with the same results.

I really hate caches placed purposely in trash to either hide a what they think is creative like a fake coke can or just in the trash to make it harder to find cause no one really wants to touch trash. Then the area gets cleaned up and they wonder why their cache is gone. Hmm I call those temporary caches.

I'm not sure labelling geocaches or putting in stash notes will decrease the chance of your geocache getting muggled. I've had a number of caches get muggled and they all had stash notes in them and were clearly labelled geocache. To be honest, I'm getting a little lazy about stash notes for this very reason. The main thing is to be careful where you hide it.

BC Parks does require geocaches to be labelled and include contact information, however CRD parks doesn't have any official position on geocaching. They basically don't want to get involved.