Quick question about deleted logs

An email will be sent if a CO deletes a log entry.

However, gc doesn't seem to have the best track record when it comes to delivery of emails, so its possible you didn't get it.

Do you track your finds any other way (like in gsak or anything) that would be easy to track down the missing finds?

If a CO deletes a find, is the cacher automatically notified? Once or twice I could have sworn my number went down, but I couldn't really remember for sure. Anyway, thanks for your help!

I happen to have received such a deletion notice recently. This is what they look like. Short and to the point. All Cache/Owner identifying information has been removed. This was a deleted NOTE, not a FIND, but I imagine a FIND deletion would look identical.

Subject: [LOG] Log Deletion Notice

Your log entry for the listing CACHE NAME (Traditional Cache) was deleted by CACHE OWNER at Friday, 15 March 2013 15:08:43

Visit this listing at the below address:

h ttp://coord.info/????????

Profile for CACHE OWNER

h ttp://coord.info/???????

edited for layout only

Edited by Cardinal Red

Ideally, the CO will send a separate e-mail as well to explain the reason for the deletion.

Ideally, Groundspeak will revise the process and require a cache owner to enter an explanation, which gets sent to the logger, when they delete a log. It's one of those things that they said was coming in a future update, about two years ago.

On the same sorta topic, what if someone deletes one of your TB entries (discovered, etc).... just curious. Nice to know a person does get an email as I know this happened to another fellow cacher of mine, which this happening, ended up messing up his selected cache find for a 'milestone' point. Yeah he can manually adjust it so it will still be his milestone but regardless, something went missing. He didn't recall an email for the record but anyway.....

On the same sorta topic, what if someone deletes one of your TB entries (discovered, etc).... just curious.

Yes, you (should) get an email if someone deletes your discovery log. Just tested it on one of our TBs.

Nice to know a person does get an email as I know this happened to another fellow cacher of mine, which this happening, ended up messing up his selected cache find for a 'milestone' point. Yeah he can manually adjust it so it will still be his milestone but regardless, something went missing. He didn't recall an email for the record but anyway.....

You didn't always get an email when a log was deleted. I'll let someone else point to when the feature was added, I can't remember. But to my knowledge, it was sometime after we started in 2007, as I am relatively sure it didn't exist back then.

It would be great if GS would come up with a form that would pop up asking why the CO is deleting the log and they would have to give a reason or the log would not get deleted.

That sounds good in theory. But, if the form required the CO to just enter SOMETHING, you'd see alot of "..." given as the reason.

It would be great if GS would come up with a form that would pop up asking why the CO is deleting the log and they would have to give a reason or the log would not get deleted.

That sounds good in theory. But, if the form required the CO to just enter SOMETHING, you'd see alot of "..." given as the reason.

True. But, at least that way there would be an existing record if there is an appeal. If someone just puts, "...", it doesn't really set a good tone for their case. :anitongue:

hzoi, " You didn't always get an email when a log was deleted. I'll let someone else point to when the feature was added, I can't remember. But to my knowledge, it was sometime after we started in 2007..."

I don't know when it started, but it was in place in early 2003. I distinctly recall my first log deletion notice, on a Locationless.

I'd made the classic wrong GC Code error. That owner sent an email too, and told me that he thought I had a valid locationless log, but not for the cache I'd put it on ;-)

Just FYI, one is asked to enter a reason when deleting a picture from a log.

hzoi, " You didn't always get an email when a log was deleted. I'll let someone else point to when the feature was added, I can't remember. But to my knowledge, it was sometime after we started in 2007..."

I don't know when it started, but it was in place in early 2003. I distinctly recall my first log deletion notice, on a Locationless.

I'd made the classic wrong GC Code error. That owner sent an email too, and told me that he thought I had a valid locationless log, but not for the cache I'd put it on ;-)

I remember my first one in '05. It was a DNF log and the CO wasn't happy that I stated that I didn't stop because it was illegal to stop or park in his suggested parking spot and the Sheriff was parked up the road. He emailed and said that you can't "not find" something that you never looked for. Too bad I didn't know about the forums yet. I could have started beating that dead horse a few years earlier.

No, I think you must be remembering it incorrectly. Because otherwise I would be wrong, and that never happens.

:ph34r:

Seriously, thanks, good to know. I stand corrected. Or maybe my logs must not have been worth deleting for that first year or so. :anibad: