Missing Trackables

SS Cachelot

Hey, Everyone.

The Wife & I have been stepping up our Seattle & Kitsap area caching lately, including launching a couple new trackables.

We seem to be finding allot of caches that have trackables in their inventory.. But not physically IN the cache.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a problem around here with trackables being retrieved from caches, but not logged as such?

Hey, Everyone.

The Wife & I have been stepping up our Seattle & Kitsap area caching lately, including launching a couple new trackables.

We seem to be finding allot of caches that have trackables in their inventory.. But not physically IN the cache.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a problem around here with trackables being retrieved from caches, but not logged as such?

There is a problem everywhere...

Eartha, a moderator in the trackables forums will remove the trackables from the cache inventory if you know you didn't see them and they have apparently been missing for awhile.

So, I would contact Eartha

So why bother the TB mod to address the .0001%

I'm just wondering if there's some kind of solution to the problem.

Not so far. What would you suggest?

One thing I have began doing is adding the following statement to the end of EVERY log entry.

"There are an increasing number of missing Travel Bugs and Geo Coins". This is caused by people retrieving them from Caches and not logging them. You can help by keeping an eye out for trackables in every cache you find. If you retrieve and/or come across one, PLEASE LOG IT using it's unique tracking number, so it's owner can keep track of it. That is, after all, why it was sent out in the first place. If you find a cache that shows trackable items in inventory, but has none <physically> IN the cache, please include that discovery in your log. And... If you agree that there is a problem with this, help us to educate our community by spreading the word. Thank you!"

Perhaps, if everyone who is concerned with this problem was to do that.. We would help to educate people about proper treatment of Trackable Items.

Edited by Erin&TC

Yes, it is an issue, one well known to GS, not only that it's being done, but who is doing it

I've been ordered by forum moderators not to discuss it any more here but you can look at these

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=289166&st=0&p=4958873&fromsearch=1entry4958873

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=270367&st=0

Also go to WSGA and search the topics there

Maybe because TB's are someone else's property, and it's not exactly fair to them when they are stolen or go missing... <_<

The TB mod is willing to remove a missing tb. Why doesn't that property owner do at least that much? Why does it take a report to get the TB Mod?

Lost AND abandoned.

Yes, it is an issue, one well known to GS, not only that it's being done, but who is doing it

I've been ordered by forum moderators not to discuss it any more here but you can look at these

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=289166&st=0&p=4958873&fromsearch=1entry4958873

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=270367&st=0

Also go to WSGA and search the topics there

I believe this discussion is more about the general disappearance of coins, and less related to the specific issue that you mention.

I'm just wondering if there's some kind of solution to the problem.

Not so far. What would you suggest?

One thing I have began doing is adding the following statement to the end of EVERY log entry.

"There are an increasing number of missing Travel Bugs and Geo Coins". This is caused by people retrieving them from Caches and not logging them. You can help by keeping an eye out for trackables in every cache you find. If you retrieve and/or come across one, PLEASE LOG IT using it's unique tracking number, so it's owner can keep track of it. That is, after all, why it was sent out in the first place. If you find a cache that shows trackable items in inventory, but has none <physically> IN the cache, please include that discovery in your log. And... If you agree that there is a problem with this, help us to educate our community by spreading the word. Thank you!"

Perhaps, if everyone who is concerned with this problem was to do that.. We would help to educate people about proper treatment of Trackable Items.

Posting a note on the TB page (you don't need the tracking number for notes) can let the TB owner know there is a problem. Cache owners need to educated that they can mark TB's missing from their cache, not just TB owners.

Not sure why you felt the need to open 2 threads about the same thing, but the other thread with replies to it has been locked now:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=308871

Have you marked the trackables in your own caches as "missing"?

Your caches are part of the problem that you want addressed, and an option is for the cache owner to mark trackables as missing.

B.

Posting a note on the TB page (you don't need the tracking number for notes) can let the TB owner know there is a problem. Cache owners need to educated that they can mark TB's missing from their cache, not just TB owners.

Like this?

http://coord.info/GLA47N0F

http://coord.info/TL4NZKWQ

I'm human, and can overlook bugs, even though they are the only thing I look for in a cache....having someone say missing bug and TB hoarder should warrant a check, no?

Like this?

http://coord.info/GLA47N0F

http://coord.info/TL4NZKWQ

I'm human, and can overlook bugs, even though they are the only thing I look for in a cache....having someone say missing bug and TB hoarder should warrant a check, no?

No.

Though some who have close-by hides and often hit caches (the ones that usually have missing trackables) may be able to check often, it's unrealistic to think a CO with a drive of some distance, to get to a hike of some distance, would run out and check every time someone can't find a trackable (with trackables being a side-game, having nothing to do with maintenance of the hide.)

Cache owners need to educated that they can mark TB's missing from their cache, not just TB owners.

True, there may be quite a few who don't know about the option to mark trackables missing.

When I get a note in a log that a trackable's missing, I notify the TO.

I'm not marking someone elses trackable missing on anothers say so and tell the TO that next time I do maintenance, I'll look.

- It may be awhile...

I had three people log that a trackable was missing once. After the third time, it was six Months and time for a bi-annual check on an ammo can hide anyway.

Two miles later, the cache was dry as usual and the coin was stuck to the lid with who-knows-what.

Luckily I bring cleaning gear (and gloves) and placed it in with the log.

- Three people claimed a trackable missing that was there.

- A Duh edit...

Edited by cerberus1

Education. The more experienced cachers can reach out to inexperienced cachers and show them the correct way to cache (travel bugs included) the better off the game will be. I try to watch all of the travel bugs I move to make sure they are picked up and logged after I have dropped them. If I notice that a cacher posts a note that the trackable is missing I check the logs. A large majority of the time an inexperienced cacher has been to the cache and took the travel bug not knowing what it was. A simple e-mail asking if they noticed the trackable in the cache when they visited usually starts a conversation. I have a simple word document I send to them and encourage them to e-mail me with any questions. It dose take up some of my time but it's worth it for the love of the sport. I also agree with a previous post regarding cache owners removing missing travel bugs from there caches only after they have physically verified that the trackable is indeed missing. Cache maintenance is another big problem.