What kind of geocoins do you collect?

scottmcblane

I started by making my own wooden nickels and trading them. I have about 300 geocacher wooden nickels from around the world.

Then I had my own personal non-trackable coin made and traded them/left them in caches. I have about 100 coins from other geocachers, about half are non-trackable.

I really like geocoins that do something. The Pocket Decoder. The Nocturnal. The Planisphere.

I like coins with no color. Crake Productions made some really nice coins with no color. Alot of the Benchmark Club coins had little or no color. Anything related to space or satellites.

Now about all I collect are the two monthly clubs that send a new geocoin every month.

When I first got into collecting geocoins I bought based on what caught my eye. Unfortunately, everything caught my eye! So I made a conscious decision to narrow my scope. At the time I had just discovered the Delft Blau coins, and since my wife is Dutch I decided I would only collect geocoins about the Netherlands or designed by Dutch cachers.

Well, seems I should have gone with an even narrower scope! Dutch cachers produce a crazy number of geocoins! :D

Since you obviously can't collect them all what types do you collect and why?

Don't tell that to drneal

I'd love to visit drneal! Really!

:anicute: :anicute: :anicute:

I get those coins, which appeal to me.

The reasons can vary.

Might be a nice design.

Or a cool sentiment.

They might have a meaning, an event coin of an event I visited, a coin of a place I've been to, a car I like or have driven in the past...

The nicest are probably personal ones of people I know (personally or through the forums)

But mostly I have to fancy them, and that applys to all, I'm afraid... :laughing:

2" ones, not sure what started that, but I almost always look for the 'size' of the coin when shopping/ebay/etc. I also tend to be more interested in historic coins or very extensive designs vs. just typical 'cartoonish' ones. This might explain though why I only have two so far.

Edited by Cadologist

In the beginning we grabbed everything we possibly could. Soon after we narrowed our scope to things that had a distinct personal attachment. Later I began narrowing my scope further to those with strong designs. Now I've narrowed my scope further to strong designs with clever use of technique. I love finding coins that use ideas that not only work within the limitations of metals and enamels, but then use those very limitations to enhance a design. I love to learn and I'm always finding something new that mixes and generates more interesting ideas in my own work :)

with that being said, sometimes I still see one that is just plain cool and I have to have it no matter what! lol B)

:laughing:

not sure why my name keeps coming up...i only have a little over 20 coins...well, maybe a lot over 20.

starting out, i was most impressed, and traded for, personal coins. the first trades i remember were for a yemon/yime V0, and a tsun dragonfly talisman tsun ed. gcf8. that same day i was also proud to trade for a DEAD coin, and a walking ed geocoin.

my next obcession was dog themed coins...everything from my chiro-cache geocoin with pictures of my two dogs heineken and logan on the front, to the hotdog geocoin (a stretch perhaps.)

as others have inferred that i am bit obcessive about geocoin collecting....who, me?

with very few exceptions, i tend to purchase or trade for (trading always preferred...i've met a lot of nice people trading geocoins,) 1 single version or metal of a coin. the mardis gras masks were one of those exceptions...i had purchased a pin of a nearly identical mask for my wife, Kathy, while waiting to board a bus in Venice...the coin evoked a lot of strong feelings in me..that's why it was my goal to collect one of each...i'm pretty sure i have with the help of several people in this geocoin forum.

watch for cointests on this forum...always a possibility of winning a geocoin. when my newest personal coin "Kathy's Coin Two" comes to be, i plan 2 different cointests...one for an artists version of the coin, and one for a gold and a silver version (3 winners.)

most of all, set a budget and stick with it. it's a only a hobby!

feel free to check out my collection (a lot of pictures of most of the coins,) by clicking on the link below, and feel free to contact me with any questions about them...welcome to the geocoin forum !!!

ILYK

My personal favorites are the navigational coins (astrolabe, planisphere) or benchmark / triangulation coins ... probably because I'm a retired surveyor and cartographer. I've been waiting 3 years for the sextant geocoin to be completed.

After that are coins that have some sort of movable parts (decoders, cosmolabe), then classic designs (Membras and many Celtic coins) and after that it's all about design and color combinations with a few 'just for fun' coins thrown in to the mix (X-Files, Dr. Who). We stay away from most of the cartoonish stuff but still can't help but acquire them.

Anything's good in reality. They're just nice to look at and there are some amazing geocoin designers out there.

Cheers

PandA Inc

As others have written, I collect what catches my eye - and I've found that Tsun's coins totally catch my eye. I don't have all of her coins, but maybe some day ....

I love lemon cheesecake and key lime pie, so when I saw YemonYime's citrus coins, I tried to collect those too.

And my most recent designer I like is Jackalgirl.

The problem is that it's often rather difficult to find out who has designed a particular coin, so I've sometimes been surprised when I finally was able to track down the designer.

Turns out my cool Alien Compass Rose was by YemonYime too!

I have other subjects I try to collect - like Japan-related coins, and since I'm in Denmark, it's also Danish made and Denmark-related coins. And Jackalgirl was partly responsible for the Four Elements Compass coins - plus some Japanese-related ones.

There might be a few more subjects ;-)

You could attend an Event where drneal will be present. He usually brings his album containing his 20 coins with him so people can make a few discovers. He probably also have a few more in his pockets, 5 at the most :laughing:

You could attend an Event where drneal will be present. He usually brings his album containing his 20 coins with him so people can make a few discovers. He probably also have a few more in his pockets, 5 at the most :laughing:

Well, I could.

If I could.

There is just the small matter of a few thousand kilometers of water and land mass between me in Germany and him in Pennsylvania, I'm afraid.

His event is just:

NW 6428.2 km from your home location
:sad:

Well, I could.

If I could.

There is just the small matter of a few thousand kilometers of water and land mass between me in Germany and him in Pennsylvania, I'm afraid.

His event is just:

Indeed,that's quite a long way from your home. Perhaps one day you'll be able to meet him anyway. Meanwhile his humble collection will probably grow so it will be worth the trip :laughing:

Just to stay in the topic, I mostly collect animal coins, mainly dogs, funny coins and personal ones too :D

Well, I could.

If I could.

His event is just:

I actually live in Sydney Australia :S haha.

I don't collect coins like I used to. I usually trade with the other designers or pick pick up a coin that appeals to me from a designer's perspective (has some element I really like).

There are some spectacular coin designs available, wish I could add them to my collection but I'm much better at handling my addiction these days :)

I used to buy almost everything that came out in each edition and extras for traders, that cleared the pocketbook fast.

I don't know how Doc does it, I'm sure he has now added an entire room to his home to keep his ever growing collection ;) The guy is way past having a "problem" :P

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

I don't know how Doc does it, I'm sure he has now added an entire room to his home to keep his ever growing collection ;) The guy is way past having a "problem" :P

tsun

In fact, Doc keeps a room for himself and the dogs and the rest of the house goes to....well you probably get the idea :laughing: Hope you don't mind our remarks Doc. We love you and you know it :wub:

I don't have a large collection, but I have been collecting benchmark coins. I have been doing benchmarking in order to bring areas back in play that I have previously cleared out all of the geocaches. I have been taking on the challenge of finding some of the old triangulation disks that have never been logged in my area. When it comes to coins, it just followed through.

tsun

In fact, Doc keeps a room for himself and the dogs and the rest of the house goes to....well you probably get the idea :laughing: Hope you don't mind our remarks Doc. We love you and you know it :wub:

My boyfriend was mentioning the other day, that there are no coins in the kitchen. How come?

But it's true, the kitchen is the only coin-free room... :anicute: :anicute: :anicute:

My boyfriend was mentioning the other day, that there are no coins in the kitchen. How come?

But it's true, the kitchen is the only coin-free room... :anicute: :anicute: :anicute:

The same here, and no coins in the bathroom either :laughing:

My situation is just the opposite. My office has the coins. My wife doesn't see the point at all. One day I came home to find the desk cleaned up and my coins in ziplocks in the cabinet. :signalviolin:

My situation is just the opposite. My office has the coins. My wife doesn't see the point at all. One day I came home to find the desk cleaned up and my coins in ziplocks in the cabinet. :signalviolin:

Just out of curiousity: Are you still married? 'Cause if you ever need a reason......

Last night a coiner came for a visit and after hours of admiring coins, coins and more coins I managed to trade a Rainforest Jewel V1, a wish on my list for over 5 years.

It's trades like this, which make collecting so enjoyable...

Just out of curiousity: Are you still married? 'Cause if you ever need a reason......

Last night a coiner came for a visit and after hours of admiring coins, coins and more coins I managed to trade a Rainforest Jewel V1, a wish on my list for over 5 years.

It's trades like this, which make collecting so enjoyable...

That's one of my favorites, if not my fave :)

That's one of my favorites, if not my fave :)

You know, it's quite tricky to say it's a favourite.

Since I got the Rainforest Jewels V2 black nickel I longed for the V1. Now I have them side by side and it's just amazing how totally different the same design in different colours can look, what feelings it awakes.

I really like animal coins, which don't reduce the animal into a comic figure.

I'm also very fond of translucent colours.

But I guess, any coin in ones collection has a sort of history to tell, either the story and meaning behind it or the story, how it managed it's way into ones collection.

So last Sunday a afternoon visit planned for one or one and a half hours topps turned into a 5 hour stay and even than we were sorry to come to an end, as the stories weren't all told yet. But the drive home was for another 4 hours, so sadly we had to cut the visit short. :laughing:

To come back to topic, apart from anything which catches my eye and struck a cord in me, I like anything nature related. Flowers, Trees and Animals, as well as anything about places, geography, area coins depicting a local attraction.

I'm also very fond of lighthouses and anything maritim.

But there is no rule to my collection... :anicute:

We caught the bug pretty early. We bought some of the early Canadian and Texas geocoins, which were trackable on their own website. A local group (Conejo Cachers, in Ventura County, CA), went in for a bunch of our own coins, which were trackable on a local website. When the things got a bit more "common", we jumped in heavily, and bought quite a few, trackable and non-trackable, as the designs were often clever and simple. Some were very colorful, others not, but they all meant something, either as personal coins, or regional, or whatever, and they almost all had something to do with geocaching. This is what I tend to call The Golden Age of Geocoins: roughly 2006-2009, maybe into 2010. Over the past 2-3 years, many of the designs have gotten highly intricate, and many of them have nothing to do with geocaching. We buy a few here and there, if the design or theme appeals to us, but I think we spent more on geocoins in 2008 than we have spent in total in 2011, 2012 and so far in 2013. Nowhere near as many of the designs catch our fancy. This isn't to say that they are "bad"; they just don't appeal to us.

Thus, the geocoins which we tend to collect are ones which have a direct tie-in to geocaching. They can have other themes, but if there is no connection to our hobby/game/sport/obsession, then we are not nearly as likely to buy it, or trade for it.