New geocacher with questions

Daviefam

We've been casually geocaching for about 2 years. We have found more than my profile says, but I forget to log into the website (I use my phone) to check one off the list.

I actually have 2 questions. My first question is....

My "home location" on my HTC Inspire 4G shows me in the middle of the river about 2 miles away from my house. I know the area well, and can use the satellite map to help me find out where I'm to be going. But, if I use the compass, it has me all mixed up. I've tried to reset my app, clear the data, change the coordinates on the geocaching site....but nothing works. When I go thru my profile on this site, it does show the exact place where I am (at home)...but using my phone shows me 2 miles away. Any suggestions as to how to change it on my phone so that the true location I am AT, at the time, shows as "my location"?

2nd question...

While using my phone as our guide, how am I able to mark a cache that we've found and leave feedback if we want? OR...can you only do that online with your computer/smartphone?

Thank you for helping me out! We enjoy geocaching very much with our family and friends, but more times than not, we're on a wild goose change because things aren't right! I'm not ready to buy a handheld GPS until I know how to really do this :)

We've been casually geocaching for about 2 years. We have found more than my profile says, but I forget to log into the website (I use my phone) to check one off the list.

I actually have 2 questions. My first question is....

My "home location" on my HTC Inspire 4G shows me in the middle of the river about 2 miles away from my house. I know the area well, and can use the satellite map to help me find out where I'm to be going. But, if I use the compass, it has me all mixed up. I've tried to reset my app, clear the data, change the coordinates on the geocaching site....but nothing works. When I go thru my profile on this site, it does show the exact place where I am (at home)...but using my phone shows me 2 miles away. Any suggestions as to how to change it on my phone so that the true location I am AT, at the time, shows as "my location"?

2nd question...

While using my phone as our guide, how am I able to mark a cache that we've found and leave feedback if we want? OR...can you only do that online with your computer/smartphone?

Thank you for helping me out! We enjoy geocaching very much with our family and friends, but more times than not, we're on a wild goose change because things aren't right! I'm not ready to buy a handheld GPS until I know how to really do this :)

In college, before smartphones, we had to go back to the computer to digitally log after writing in a paper log. While people now "do everything" on their phones, I honestly think it's much better to find the log, write it, and then go home and use a computer. People really care about their caches and I see the digital log as a way to know what people did and who they were with in lieu of a paper log which is minimal...and at this time of year often a bit on the soggier side and difficult to write on.

We do always sign the log at the cache each time. I'm more wondering how we can tell the difference between a found cache and one we have yet to find using both phone and computer. I have no problem doing it on the computer, but would like to know how to mark it while I am out too.

We do always sign the log at the cache each time. I'm more wondering how we can tell the difference between a found cache and one we have yet to find using both phone and computer. I have no problem doing it on the computer, but would like to know how to mark it while I am out too.

I think you either have to remember or be a premium member...atleast via my smartphone.

If your phone shows you two miles away, it's because it's using a cell tower. Are you sure you have your GPS activated? It takes a lot of battery, so my GPS in the phone is always off unless I'm using it to cache. Make sure your GPS is on in the phone before trying to cache.

just signed up to start but am not seeing any gps coordinates...it just has ???'s where they should be?? please help

You should have received an email from Groundspeak that you have to reply to in order to validate your membership. Did you receive that email and reply to it? If it's not in your inbox, check your spam folder, sometimes they end up there.

Once that's done you may need to log out and log back in.

Edited by Chief301