logging TB drop off after a grabbing

injun & squaw

We recently dropped a TB and before we could log the drop off it was grabbed by someone else. So now the miles are missing. How do you fix that?

Not easily.

Do you have a note of the tracking number for the TB? If so, you could use it to "grab" the trackable back from whoever grabbed it, and give it a 'visit' log to the cache where you dropped it. The cacher who has it 'in their hands' would then have to grab it back from you to put it back into their inventory.

It might be easier (and generate less angst) if you email the cacher who grabbed, explain that they didn't give you time to log the TB into the cache, and ask them to give the item a visit log to the cache to show that's where they found it.

MrsB :)

It might be easier (and generate less angst) if you email the cacher who grabbed, explain that they didn't give you time to log the TB into the cache, and ask them to give the item a visit log to the cache to show that's where they found it.

^this^

And (I would) mention that is rude to grab things without asking. :mad:

They could have easily sent you a message asking what was going on, and then grab the TB if you didn't respond in a couple of days.

In any case, a few lost mile are less important than the fact that the TB is 'alive' and well.

^this^

And (I would) mention that is rude to grab things without asking. :mad:

They could have easily sent you a message asking what was going on, and then grab the TB if you didn't respond in a couple of days.

In any case, a few lost mile are less important than the fact that the TB is 'alive' and well.

I would not do anything unless I could establish a dialogue with the person that grabbed it.

I think that this happens too often:

Cacher A physically drops coin in cache A.

Cacher B grabs coin from Cacher A before Cacher A gets to a computer to log the drop.

Having recorded the tracking #, Cacher A grabs coin back from Cacher B and logs it into Cache A

Because there is no notification, cacher B has no idea that the coin is no longer in his inventory when he drops the coin in Cache B.

Cacher B did not record the tracking #, so he can't log it out of cache A and into cache B.

The coin is now listed in cache A but is actually in cache B

Cacher C visits cache B and finds a coin that is listed somewhere else, takes it home and adds it to his stolen coin collection.

Forget it. Mention in the cache's Found log that you dropped the TB but didn't get it logged before it was picked up. Post a note in the TB's log saying when and where you dropped it, and explaining why you were delayed logging it. (That's just to let everyone know: there's no need to feel bad about it, these things happen.) And you can even mention who you've noticed picked it up, just to make sure it's clear where your note falls in the chain of possession.

Most important is to know what to do when you find a TB that's not logged in. It's nice to wait for the person to log the drop, of course, but if you don't want to or can't (because you need to log your own drop), after you grab it from the person that's listed as holding it, be sure to have it Visit the cache you found it in, since that straightens out the mileage.

If you feel like it, you could drop a note to the person that grabbed this one from you explaining that they could have done that themselves. If they haven't dropped it yet, they can go back and do that now, but if they have already dropped it somewhere else, you can let them know for next time.

Edited by dprovan

I would not do anything unless I could establish a dialogue with the person that grabbed it.

I think that this happens too often:

Cacher A physically drops coin in cache A.

Cacher B grabs coin from Cacher A before Cacher A gets to a computer to log the drop.

Having recorded the tracking #, Cacher A grabs coin back from Cacher B and logs it into Cache A

Because there is no notification, cacher B has no idea that the coin is no longer in his inventory when he drops the coin in Cache B.

Cacher B did not record the tracking #, so he can't log it out of cache A and into cache B.

The coin is now listed in cache A but is actually in cache B

Cacher C visits cache B and finds a coin that is listed somewhere else, takes it home and adds it to his stolen coin collection.

Agreed.

Grabbing it back would probably only complicate the situation and cause pointless stress.