Full log

w.nightshade

So I found my very first cache today, but it is a micro (nano?) cache with a simple log. The log is completely full, and I would like to sign. What do I do? Notify the owner via a maintenance log? Add a new log to the cache myself? Do I take out the existing log and document it somehow? I am new to this, and want to do things correctly.

So I found my very first cache today, but it is a micro (nano?) cache with a simple log. The log is completely full, and I would like to sign. What do I do? Notify the owner via a maintenance log? Add a new log to the cache myself? Do I take out the existing log and document it somehow? I am new to this, and want to do things correctly.

I would post a NM. I would have also taken a photo (I have a camera on my cell phone) of the cache and logsheet to prove I found it, since I couldn't sign it. If there are already multiple NMs and no response from the owner I would post an NA. If it's a nano, there won't be room to add another log. I wouldn't take the log out. Anyone who plants a nano has to expect that they'll need to do regular maintenance. If it's a micro there may be a little room to add a bit of paper to the cache to tide the cache over for a few days until the cache owner gets there.

Usually somewhere to make a mark over another faded signatures...

Log it as Found, mention in the on-line log the log sheet is full.

If there are others that have mentioned it in their logs, post Needs Maintenance.

If Needs Maintenance logs are already there, over a period of time, consider a Needs Archived log...

(Posting a NM or NA log does not log the cache as Found. You need to do the 2 logs -Found it and the other to get the Found)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I had a look at the cache page.....

08/25/2012 NM log is full

7 people log a find but don't mention the full log

09/29/2012 Finders report that they can't open the nano

2 more people log a find but don't mention not opening the cache or that the log is full

10/04/2012 Found cache log says can't open the nano

10/06/2012 Found - can't open the button nano

10/21/2012 Found - can't open the nano

6 more finds - no mention of full log or not opening the nano

01/19/2013 - Found - can't open

9 more finds

It's been almost 8 months of issues with this nano. I would definitely post the NM. The owner is active (visited the site today). Hopefully 2 NMs will get their attention. The Found log notes aren't.

Also, I would watch the cache and if after a couple of weeks there's still no response from the owner I would post a NA. That gets the reviewers attention, who will likely disable the cache until the owner gets out to fix it.

Edited by L0ne R

I would post a NM. I would have also taken a photo (I have a camera on my cell phone) of the cache and logsheet to prove I found it, since I couldn't sign it. If there are already multiple NMs and no response from the owner I would post an NA. If it's a nano, there won't be room to add another log. I wouldn't take the log out. Anyone who plants a nano has to expect that they'll need to do regular maintenance. If it's a micro there may be a little room to add a bit of paper to the cache to tide the cache over for a few days until the cache owner gets there.

Since it's your very first cache find, I would put the log back in it, put your initials across the rolled up edge of the log, put it back where it was hidden and log your experience online with a Found It including the fact that the log is full.

A NM is a "Need Maintenance" log. This notifies the cache owner that their cache needs maintenance. A NA is a "Needs Archived" log. This notifies the cache owner and the area cache reviewer that the cache may be violating the guidelines and may need to be removed from the active cache list.

I would say that compared to the general population, the good to bad people ratio in geocachers is much higher. That doesn't mean that we don't have some wingnuts amongst us. Since it's your very first cache find, I would stay away from the NM and NA logs until you learn who the wingnuts are. Some simply don't react properly when you post these logs on their caches.

2 more people log a find but don't mention not opening the cache or that the log is full

9 more finds

It's been almost 8 months of issues with this nano. I would definitely post the NM. The owner is active (visited the site today). Hopefully 2 NMs will get their attention. The Found log notes aren't.

Also, I would watch the cache and if after a couple of weeks there's still no response from the owner I would post a NA. That gets the reviewers attention, who will likely disable the cache until the owner gets out to fix it.

I'm sorry but I think that this is extremely bad advice to give to someone that has been caching for three days and has one find.

Geocaching is open to all. It is not an exclusive club, but local close nit communities do form around it and I believe that nothing can enhance the geocaching experience like becoming part of a local community. You do not become part of a community by kicking down the front door yelling that this cache needs maintenance and that cache needs to be archived. Let's go find some caches before making those judgements.

The best advice I can give for a new cacher is to look at the cache pages for the caches in their area. Read them bottom to top, reading all the logs. Try to get a sense of the other people that are playing the game in your area. For this particular cache, shoot the cache owner a private email explaining the situation and offering to help if he would like. That shows that you want to be a part of this and that you do want to do the right thing.

9 more finds

I'm sorry but I think that this is extremely bad advice to give to someone that has been caching for three days and has one find.

Geocaching is open to all. It is not an exclusive club, but local close nit communities do form around it and I believe that nothing can enhance the geocaching experience like becoming part of a local community. You do not become part of a community by kicking down the front door yelling that this cache needs maintenance and that cache needs to be archived. Let's go find some caches before making those judgements.

The best advice I can give for a new cacher is to look at the cache pages for the caches in their area. Read them bottom to top, reading all the logs. Try to get a sense of the other people that are playing the game in your area. For this particular cache, shoot the cache owner a private email explaining the situation and offering to help if he would like. That shows that you want to be a part of this and that you do want to do the right thing.

I did preface the NA remark with "I would" because I've been caching for 11 years and am not afraid of taking the wrath of some COs. But I agree it is rather bold and probably not something a first timer wants to get into, especially with an active owner.

I disagree that the NA should only be used for guideline violations (unless you are arguing that non-maintenance is a guideline violation).

What bothers me about nanos is that many of them end up as pseudo-virtuals. People keep logging them as Found even though they don't sign the log and COs ignore maintenance, don't disable and allow finds. May as well have a sticker with GC letters on it and call it a find if folks report seeing it. I presume pseudo-virtuals are a violation of the guidelines.

I do think that an NM should be posted. In my area a couple of NMs may get the attention of the reviewers when a sweep is done (3 NMs will definitely get the attention of the reviewers), and then the reviewers can take on the responsibility of disabling and archiving if required.

Edited by L0ne R

9 more finds

I did preface the NA remark with "I would" because I've been caching for 11 years and am not afraid of taking the wrath of some COs. But I agree it is rather bold and probably not something a first timer wants to get into, especially with an active owner.

I disagree that the NA should only be used for guideline violations (unless you are arguing that non-maintenance is a guideline violation).

What bothers me about nanos is that many of them end up as pseudo-virtuals. People keep logging them as Found even though they don't sign the log and COs ignore maintenance, don't disable and allow finds. May as well have a sticker with GC letters on it and call it a find if folks report seeing it. I presume pseudo-virtuals are a violation of the guidelines.

I do think that an NM should be posted. In my area a couple of NMs may get the attention of the reviewers when a sweep is done (3 NMs will definitely get the attention of the reviewers), and then the reviewers can take on the responsibility of disabling and archiving if required.

When I give advice, I always try to put myself in that persons position first, then offer advice from that perspective.

Non-maintenance is a guideline violation. I would guess that the for vast majority of caches that get archived by reviewers, the reason is lack of maintenance by inactive or non communicative cache owners.

As far as nanos. I try to avoid them. If I do find one by mistake, I unscrew the top and put an X across the log, screw the top back on and put it back where I found it. I haven't actually unrolled and rolled back up a nano log in years. It hasn't come up but if a CO ever has a problem with that, I'll delete my log myself. Of course, I won't look for anymore of their caches either.