Cannot hide tracks on map (eTrex 30)

Device: Garmin eTrex 30. Firmware: 2.90. Copy some tracks on this device. They are obviously hidden on the map. Make them visible in the Track Manager („Show on Map”). Than make them invisible („Hide on Map”). Reboot the device (power off and power on): Every track will be visible again. The („Hide on Map” setting is not persistent.

Here's something to try....

What works to fix the reverse problem (tracks NOT showing after a power cycle when you WANT them to) is to go into setup,maps,advanced, Detail...change to more or most. "Normal" won't show after power cycle.

I'm speaking from 78S,Oregon 550, Montana 650 workings....

I don't know if it's the same on a "30"

Try messing with different profiles and the combination of settings between show/hide and the detail level.

Sounds like it's something about your settings because otherwise it would seem to be that your's is "defaulting" to "show on map", which would be odd. Normally "default" is hidden (not showing).

Hope this helps.

I've repeated the test, and sorry, I have to disagree. This is definitely a bug, a 2.90 bug:

1) My first post: „Copy some tracks on this device. They are obviously hidden on the map. Make them visible in the Track Manager („Show on Map”). Than make them invisible („Hide on Map”). Reboot the device (power off and power on): Every track will be visible again. The „Hide on Map” setting is not persistent.” -> So the default behavior is hidden (not showing) until the first „Show on Map” act.

2) I made my tests with a hard reseted unit. Every custom profile was deleted, and the hard reset reverted the default „Recreational” profile to the factory's default value.

3) I cannot reproduce this bug with 2.8 firmware. So this is definitely a bug of the 2.9 firmware.

I've repeated the test, and sorry, I have to disagree. This is definitely a bug, a 2.90 bug:

1) My first post: „Copy some tracks on this device. They are obviously hidden on the map. Make them visible in the Track Manager („Show on Map”). Than make them invisible („Hide on Map”). Reboot the device (power off and power on): Every track will be visible again. The „Hide on Map” setting is not persistent.

It must have been bug also in other Garmin units.

In todays Oregon x50 FW update http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523 we can also find the one:

Changes made from version 6.10 to 6.20:

Improved map performance in densely-populated urban areas.

Fixed trail searching when using multiple active routing maps.

Fixed issue with saving a track's 'show on map' status across a power cycle.

Fixed issue with displaying tracks on the map after performing an area calculation.

Fixed potential shutdown when viewing certain tracks or routes in German or Russian.

Fixed minor graphical issue with certain data fields on the map.

Maybe someone can figure how to use this glitch as a 'hack' to enable you to set all tracks as "Show On Map"....I have a ton of ATV trails on mine, and am constantly editing them on the PC and reloading them, so it's a PAIN to have to go into each one, and set it to show. The top item on my wishlist is a way to set all to "Show On Map", or to be able to set it as a parameter of the track in Basecamp so it's always shown on the GPSr after export.