Caches not loading on Garmin 62s

We've had a Garmin 62s for a couple of years with no problem, but a strange one has arisen. I find a cache listing in Geocaching.com, attach the GPS and choose "write to my GPS". I get the usual message that the cache had been written to the GPS, but when I detach the GPS and head out, the cache is not listed in Geocaches. I've looked in Windows Explorer, and the GC number shows up along with all the other caches on the unit, but I'm not seeing it on the unit. I can't imagine it's in another directory, since it shows up with all the other GPX files. Can anyone help explain this?

We've had a Garmin 62s for a couple of years with no problem, but a strange one has arisen. I find a cache listing in Geocaching.com, attach the GPS and choose "write to my GPS". I get the usual message that the cache had been written to the GPS, but when I detach the GPS and head out, the cache is not listed in Geocaches. I've looked in Windows Explorer, and the GC number shows up along with all the other caches on the unit, but I'm not seeing it on the unit. I can't imagine it's in another directory, since it shows up with all the other GPX files. Can anyone help explain this?

I had that happen to me a couple of times when I downloaded GPX files. When I got to my destination and fired up the GPS 62s, no caches. Now I double check by turning on the GPS and checking for nearest geocaches, before I head out the door. My 62s will be 2 years old in June.

Have you been clearing out old geocaches? If you load more than the unit can index, new GPX files will be ignored.

My Etrex Legend Cx does this sometimes, if yours is set on geocaches near me and it hasn't locked onto satellites yet, the uploaded caches wont show up yet, even though they are in the unit.

We did recently load a bunch of caches in preparation for a trip we'll be taking soon, but I then took the time to erase several old finds. It does make me wonder, though, if we're near whatever the limit is.

I think the limit is 5000 caches or 200 GPX files, whichever comes first. You should delete old GPX files to avoid this problem.

We did recently load a bunch of caches in preparation for a trip we'll be taking soon, but I then took the time to erase several old finds. It does make me wonder, though, if we're near whatever the limit is.

That wasn't the case for me. I had deleted the old files and downloaded fresh GPX files both times.

Just on the off chance, try using a different cable when connecting to your PC. I encountered the problem several times and finally tossed the cable that came with my 62s. I'm using the cable that came with my old 60Cx for all my Garmins, now. Also, as advised by others, make sure the caches you loaded are in the unit before leaving the house.

Have you been clearing out old geocaches? If you load more than the unit can index, new GPX files will be ignored.

Do you delete through Basecamp -- or pop up Windows Explorer and delete all the GPX files in the GPX folder? Actually, if you have a minute, can you explain your process for cleaning up old GPX files on the 62S? Thnkx.

Do you delete through Basecamp -- or pop up Windows Explorer and delete all the GPX files in the GPX folder? Actually, if you have a minute, can you explain your process for cleaning up old GPX files on the 62S? Thnkx.

I clear out old geocache GPX file manually, via Windows Explorer.

Download/install JaVaWa Device Manager, run it, let it analyze your 62s, and it will warn of errors and inform you how many GPX files are loaded, and offer a method to delete unwanted GPX files as well.

This happens every now and again on my Oregon 450 as well. What I do is to copy the caches to the SD card. If the caches do not load I can always remove the card, re boot the unit and shut it down again. Then re-insert the card and that will force the caches to reload. No way of doing this if you send them to the units internal storage only.

Edited by AndyT1