Re-evaluated geocaching goals

We're about 2 weeks away from entering the second quarter of the year. For those of you who set goals at the beginning of the year what were they? How are they going? And what are the goals for the rest of the year?

And for those of use who didn't - including me - what are your goals for the next 9 months?

We're about 2 weeks away from entering the second quarter of the year. For those of you who set goals at the beginning of the year what were they? How are they going? And what are the goals for the rest of the year?

And for those of use who didn't - including me - what are your goals for the next 9 months?

We're kind of in a non-competitive mode right now. GC is a stress relief mechanism from work for the both of us. We completed our Jasmer finds in Q1 and that was fun. Maybe we'll find another challenge to do, but it would need to be secondary to just enjoying the trails.

I just posted about my various goals on my blog: http://igeowarrior.wordpress.com/

Most are simply "just over previous threshold" type goals. A few I have already met. With a move coming, I likely will wait till I am in my new location.

In my blog though, I touch on one point I like to mention here. The tendency for folks to have goals like "find all caches within X miles of home". If this might somewhat reveal your home location (and you are worried about privacy), probably better to NOT do that.

I like have the goal like that, but use an arbitrary point elsewhere (like a local popular shopping spot or work location). If it doesn't bother you, or you are a prolific finder already, probably not an issue.

We're kind of in a non-competitive mode right now. GC is a stress relief mechanism from work for the both of us. We completed our Jasmer finds in Q1 and that was fun. Maybe we'll find another challenge to do, but it would need to be secondary to just enjoying the trails.

I have put something else in front of geocaching for awhile. I still do it but I'm into something else that is not caching but sometimes I feel like I am, when I get an email and I'm almost out the door running. No, it's not the QR code either. I still cache with the "mega cacher" (yes again) but mainly one day on the weekends. And if my other hobby coincides with an unfound cache in the area I'll try to find it. I have put out some caches too.

Edited by jellis

I live an hour from the earliest placed cache in Illinois, and still haven't gone to look for it. I'm also about 2 hours from the most favorited cache in the state. My goal is to find these along with some of the others close to those two that have lots of favorite points, because I feel like I always search out the ammo can in the woods, and I want to encounter more diverse kinds of hides/containers.

Having started caching last October (currently on 238 and a 24-day stretch; 1st FTF last weekend; most in a day = 9)

366/366 by next Feb 29 - should be easy, really wont start worrying about that for another year or so!

365 in first year was a challenge set by the friend who got me into GCing - well on target

10 in a day. Stop sniggering at the back, I know that's pretty modest. But if I'm not caching in my lunch break (record = 5) then I'm usually with OS Junior who's not 4 until May. However I can see some easy 12,14,15 walks around so I'm sure that if you ask me again this autumn I'll say 20 in a day.

Really not bothered about FTFs. Did Saturday's just to get out of the house.

Got my first D5 last week, that was very satisfying.

Holiday in Italy in May and work trips to Paris and Genoble in April - move some trackables worthwhile distances! IT makes me smile to see the continued journey of a teddy I took from UK to Vegas. She's now in New Mexico.

Want to put out my first 3 caches and hopefully see some favourite points as I'm going to make an effort to make them interesting.

That's all the numerical / measurable stuff. Otherwise, as per others, have some fun, watch my son enjoy it too.

Only cache I really have my eye on is the D1/T5 Swing Lower cache in Oxford, under a bridge. Boat trip planned.

Somewhat haphazardly working on getting both my D & T above 2. I also have a penchant for puzzle caches and lonely caches, so sometimes even if the T on those isn't 2 or higher I still go for them too (fortunately D almost is always above 2, at least for puzzles). I also enjoy a good challenge now and then - there are a few I've been working on for awhile. And sometimes if I'm out hiking it's hard to pass right by a cache just because its D/T aren't 2 or over... :)

Luckily even with my detours I've managed to keep both D & T going steadily upward over the last couple months I've been working on that goal.

And of course, having fun, getting outside, and challenging myself are constant goals. :)

Edited by redwoodkestrel