Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Tante.Hossi

Ministry Buildings

6 posts in this topic

I wonder we don't have a category for Ministry Buildings here at Waymarking.com.

Every government has several ministries or departments (ministry of interior, ministry of justice, ministry of defence, ...).

Most of them are located in huge representative buildings - so it could be very intersting to waymark them.

We have categories for Capitol Buildings, Diplomatic Missions, City and Town Halls or Police Stations. But we do not have one for those Ministry Buildings.

What do you think about this?

What would be your definition of a ministry? When it's on national level then we probably have a prevalence problem; there are a couple of them in every country but they are usually all located within a small area in or around the capital. Countries with a federal structure as the US, Germany or Switzerland also have them on state level; but I do not know if they exist in a similar form in regions of more centralist organized countries.

When is it a ministry and when 'just' an administrative department? What's the difference?

You cannot go by the name; they are called ministries in some countries like Germany, but others use other terms, Switzerland generally calls them "departments" as an example (I think the US, too).

I like the idea, but I fear creating a definition that is globally acceptable can make some real headache.

I prefer the "Ministry of Silly Walking".

After my last post I thought to myself, I know what a ministry is when I see one, it is just difficult to define it.

After checking several resources I must confess: No, I do not really know what a miniatry is.

I don't remember ever having read a Wikipedia article stuffed with so many: sometimes, usually, may, or, vary a lot, can ... etc.

I still like the idea, but it is even more difficult than I thought.

They're called by all sorts of names in Australia. Departments, head offices, central offices etc. I googled 'ministry+Canberra' as that's where the federal ones are. Then selected Defence, then About Us but no address so clicked on Site Map thinking that would be a map but got About Us. Tried Department of Human Services which has huge responsibilities, clicked on About Us but no address. Then of course there are State Governments! Also tried the Yellow & White Pages (directories) but only phone numbers. They're there somewhere but wish to remain anonymous.

Different countries have widely different systems of government, and I think it might be hard to define this one. My main objection, however, is that government buildings are usually boring. And, multiple ministries might be in one building, or identified only by a small sign or not at all. OK, the British Parliament Building is NOT boring! Probably the Ministry of Commerce, wherever it is, is boring. Still, this is an idea that is at least worth exploring further.